U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 05:56 PM

6,534 posts, read 3,643,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My father got shingles. He never complained about pain. He told me it was the worst pain he could remember.

Really, especially since you donít want to go to a doctor, you should get the shot.
That is 3 people who never complained about the pain. Husband and SIL went to work for a week before they saw a doctor. In all that PAIN? Husband thought he had poison ivy and had me putting calamine lotion on it. That works for PAIN? Daughter had it on her face and works with the public. She only went to a doctor because it looked so bad out in public.

I can tolerate a lot of pain. The 3 weeks of itching did not bother me at all. Loose shirts and going braless solved the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 06:53 PM

4,451 posts, read 2,673,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
As a younger guy, who has never had chicken pox, let alone shingles (or either vaccine), can anyone answer this?

- What are the implications of getting a chicken pox vaccine? Will it make me susceptible to shingles later?
It shouldn't. Shingles is caused by live, but suppressed, varicella zoster virus in your spinal chord. Your immune system is keeping that virus suppressed but if the immune system weakens the varicella can overwhelm it and then you have Shingles. The chickenpox vaccine is not live virus material so it cannot initiate Shingles. If you have no contact with children your chances of getting chickenpox as an adult are low, although you can catch it by coming into contact with someone who has Shingles.

But you should check with your doctor. I would also get a chickenpox titre test to make sure you have never had it. I thought I never had it but I tested positive.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:01 PM

21,800 posts, read 14,500,013 times
Just got the second shot today. Arm feels a little more sore than it normally would from a shot, but absolutely no reaction to the vaccine, feel just fine.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:03 PM

130 posts, read 63,015 times
Our Doctor isn't a fan of the vaccine. He said he has had patients who have gotten shingles from the vaccine. So we are holding off. My husband actually had a very mild case. I am a bit nervous about the decision, because my mom had it a few years ago and it was VERY painful.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:55 PM

116 posts, read 92,139 times
I have two questions about the Shingrix vaccine for any medical people here.

1. Is Dose #2 the same medicine as Dose #1 or are they different stuff?

2. Suppose that you took Dose #1 but for some reason never took Dose #2. Would that reduce the effectiveness of Dose #1, or simply not give you the added protection that Dose #2 would provide?

Old 08-13-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I have two questions about the Shingrix vaccine for any medical people here.

1. Is Dose #2 the same medicine as Dose #1 or are they different stuff?

2. Suppose that you took Dose #1 but for some reason never took Dose #2. Would that reduce the effectiveness of Dose #1, or simply not give you the added protection that Dose #2 would provide?
1. They are the same. People waiting on #2 have priority over those waiting on #1 due to the 6 month requirement. This only happens because both groups are vying for the same medicine.

2. The efficacy goes way down to essentially that of the old Shingles vaccine, which I believe is less than 60%.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srq57 View Post
Our Doctor isn't a fan of the vaccine. He said he has had patients who have gotten shingles from the vaccine.
As a doctor he should know the difference between anecdotal evidence and statistical evidence. The CDC says that it is very rare to get Shingles from the vaccine, which is a statistical result.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:27 PM

21,683 posts, read 14,554,132 times
I developed a mild case of shingles around age 34 when my kids caught chickenpox. All I had was a mild rash on one arm that really didn't bother me much and went away after a few days.

Then, in 2012, the shingles returned with a vengeance, and nearly blinded my right eye. They began at the lower edge of my eyebrow, at the edge of the eye socket, and spread all over the right side of my face.

The outer surface of my right eyelid formed a huge scab, and my eye swelled shut to the size of a golf ball. If the shingles had spread into the inner eyelid, the shingles would have gone onto my right eye.

After I was medicated, and they subsided, a nest of the virus remained and formed a wen where the breakout started. I popped it, and it was full of calcium eaten from the bone. I could still feel it, lurking there for years afterward.

I asked my doctor about getting an immunization shot afterward, and he said at my age, I didn't need one, as if another breakout was to ever happen, I would be very old when it did; if my first immunity lasted almost 40 years, the next outbreak would happen in my mid-90s.

Last year during a yearly check-up, another doctor disagreed and took a better safe than sorry attitude. I got the shot then. I'll probably never know if I needed it or not, but after the intense pain of the second episode, which lasted for over a month, it was better safe than sorry for me.

And that faint itch in my eye socket did disappear afterward. So I'm hoping the vaccination did its job well. I think it did.

Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,849 posts, read 33,340,916 times
I heard a radio host talking about this recently. He said that when he took the first shot, he experienced pain in the other arm for a day. When he took the second shot, he woke up in the middle of the night with the worst chills he'd ever experienced. He said he piled blankets on the bed and crawled under them in an attempt to get warm. By morning, he felt somewhat better. By the afternoon, he felt normal enough to take a tennis lesson.

Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM

9,293 posts, read 9,361,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srq57 View Post
Our Doctor isn't a fan of the vaccine. He said he has had patients who have gotten shingles from the vaccine. So we are holding off. My husband actually had a very mild case. I am a bit nervous about the decision, because my mom had it a few years ago and it was VERY painful.
A few patients got shingles from the old vaccine Zostavax because it relied on a live virus.

You can't get shingles from the new vaccine, Shingrix because it relies on a dead virus.

I had both doses of Shingrix with no side effects. I may have had a slightly sore arm, but I don't even remember that.

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...u-need-to-know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement