Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2019, 06:22 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
There have been multiple people commenting (not sure if it is this thread or not) about getting it in their early thirties. Even if this shot was not completely free I would have paid for it after reading the horror stories about Shingles I have read on this forum. In fact, I probably would not have even gotten vaccinated myself if it were not for these threads.
Yes, other than my Senior husband who was vaccinated, I have known more young adults who got shingles; SIL (32), daughter (38), and daughter's friend (34) than older adults.

Young adults raising families have a lot of expenses to have to pay a few hundred dollars for the vaccine which isn't covered by insurance for those under 50. Even for those over 65 living on fixed incomes, it still is not free under Medicare Part D. Deductible has to be met, and husband paid around $100 co-pay for the Zoster shot.

There is legislation proposed to put all vaccines under Medicare Part B and free (like flu shots), but will this pass? This might be getting more into politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 06:39 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I think her concern is that her health history may predispose her to a serious adverse reaction to a vaccine. When others look at pro's vs con's; the epidemiology may be relevant but when there is a question of permanent damage; all bets are off.

What she may be looking for, is a reassurance that the vaccine has undergone extensive safety & efficacy testing, in order to help her with her decision. How the epidemiology looks for 'no one in particular' won't be relevant.
You're right, that's my main concern and why I'm asking questions because there are some smart posters posting.

I've had shingles once in my eyelash and around my eye, so am worried it will come back. I could suffer vaccine injury or injury from shingles again, I just can't win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That is not what Roselvr asked. She asked how they figure efficacy.
Right, I wonder how they know. I wish there was a test to say it will or won't come back for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Clinicaltrials.gov has results of all clinical trials. I have not looked specifically for shingles vaccine, but the reports are very detailed, albeit a bit technical. Obviously, the studies are done on a large enough sample size so that population averages can be applied appropriately.

PS: It is a good website - and includes even clinical trials that are being planned and are in the recruitment phase.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Wait, what? You got a Shingrix when you already had shingles?
Yes, doctors suggest getting the vaccine to not get shingles a 2nd time

Old 08-17-2019, 08:28 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Got my first shot yesterday - arm was sore as heck. Today I feel like I have the flu but without a fever. For those of you who had reactions how long did it last?

Old 08-17-2019, 10:51 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
^^A day or two at most. Well worth the protection.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:37 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Very uncommon, but my daughter had shingles in college. She was 20.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:47 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Got my first shot yesterday - arm was sore as heck. Today I feel like I have the flu but without a fever. For those of you who had reactions how long did it last?
About 6 hours.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:24 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
"For those of you who had reactions how long did it last?"
as answered previously: about 14 hours for each shot.
sore arm that day, shiver and sweat that night.
much better than having shingles, though.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:00 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
A full 24 hours. The sore arm lasted a little longer, but I started to feel ill at about 5am and it was probably 8pm before I finally felt well enough to get up and eat something.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:13 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Hey everyone look back at post 113 from the moderator, talk ONLY to the OP's question. Am I the only one who read the comments in RED.
I just didn't want to turn this thread into a vaccine fight, is all. I reasoned that people who want to actually post about their experiences with the shingles vaccine might be put off if they saw a vaccine fight going on. And I'm glad so many posted. At least I don't feel like a freak for not feeling good afterwards anymore, seeing as how so many others experienced the same and worse after their shot.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You're right, that's my main concern and why I'm asking questions because there are some smart posters posting.

I've had shingles once in my eyelash and around my eye, so am worried it will come back. I could suffer vaccine injury or injury from shingles again, I just can't win

Right, I wonder how they know. I wish there was a test to say it will or won't come back for me

Thanks

Yes, doctors suggest getting the vaccine to not get shingles a 2nd time
OK, I'm going to presume since this post has not been deleted, it's OK to respond to it.

As far as the red, it's not a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" issue. Serious Shingrix side effects are rare.
"Serious adverse events—hospitalization or prolongation of existing hospitalization, life-threatening illness, permanent disability, congenital anomaly or birth defect, or death—were similar in both the RZV and placebo-control groups. . .Once Shingrix was licensed, the CDC and FDA began monitoring its safety in the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). During the first eight months of use, the manufacturer reports that approximately 3.2 million RZV doses were distributed. VAERS received a total of 4,381 reports of adverse events, or a rate of 136 reports per 100,000 doses distributed. Just 130 of the total reports were classified as serious." That is 0.004% of all doses given. More than 1/3 of all shingles disease cases develop complications. That works out to about 1 in 9 people total or 11%.
https://www.drugtopics.com/shingles-...fects-are-rare
https://www.drugtopics.com/shingles-...nd-phn-numbers

There is no test that can tell you if you'll get another case of shingles. However "In general, the research suggests that your risk of getting shingles a second time is about the same as the risk you had of getting shingles the first time."
https://www.healthline.com/health/sh...rence#symptoms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement