U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 08:40 PM

5,511 posts, read 2,815,982 times

Advertisements

I was going to put this in the Health section, but since the shingles vaccine isn't really available to anyone under 50, I thought I'd put it here. If it needs to be moved, the mods have my blessing.

This is not a vaccine debate thread. If you chose not to get the shingles vaccination, great. But please, everyone, do not debate how wonderful or bad vaccines are for people and/or tell others they need to get or not get them. I'm looking for info on a reaction to one vaccine only.

I had the first shingles vaccination a couple months ago and had a slight reaction to it. I got the second shot on Friday night. I was told by the pharmacist and others I probably wouldn't even react to this one. Oh, how wrong they all were.

At almost exactly 12 hours (5am), I got sick. I felt nauseated and had chills and to a lesser degree, a slight fever. My teeth were chattering so bad I thought I would dislocate my jaw. I spent almost an hour in a hot bath and then crawled under all three of my blankets (the only time I do that is if the temp goes below 60 - temp was 72 in my room). And the weirdest thing ever happened.

I got a bolt of pain through the thumb and index finger of my right hand (shot was in the left arm). That pain felt like someone was literally sending a bolt of electricity through my fingers every 90 seconds for about 30 seconds long. This went on for almost 10 hours and was absolutely excruciating. I swear, if I have arthritis like this, I'll be robbing pharmacies for opiates. I finally understand what drives people to take pain medications and risk addiction.

Of course, 24 hours later I'm just fine. And I would still get the shot. I've had shingles and I've got permanent nerve damage from them. I really, really don't want to get shingles again.

But I was curious, if anyone else has gotten the shots, did you have a reaction to them? Or is it, as my mother likes to point out, just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 08:54 PM

20,086 posts, read 19,080,707 times
Oh yes. Right now I can't recall whether it was from the first shot or the second shot, but I had a bad reaction. I think I had a headache and I know it knocked me out so much that I spent the next day in bed. Nothing had prepared me for that so I was just glad that I didn't have anything planned for the next day. I think it must have been the second shot.

My husband was knocked for a loop by that shot too, just sat in a chair all day feeling rotten.

I reported it--googled and found a phone number or a place online to report it. Doing it by phone was a pain so I'd recommend using the online form if anyone wants to report it. Apparently it is VERY much under reported. If you get the shot at the pharmacy, you aren't usually going to go back and tell the pharmacist. If you get it at the doctor's office, they often don't report it either.

After the way it affected me, I urge everyone to report any reaction. People have a right to know that this vaccine can affect you and put you out of commission for a day or two, or in your case, cause such weird symptoms. Maybe something in the vaccine is causing this, something they can change, and only by reporting it will they ever know what it does to so many people. Sorry for your scary reaction to the vaccine.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:04 PM

541 posts, read 321,023 times
Yes. Sore arm. Hurt more than just a flu shot. Also, that terrible feeling like having the flu without the coughing and sneezing. Felt terrible for 2 days and it lingered into a third day

Happened with both shots but was a bit worse with the first one. I'm glad I don't have to get that shot every year

Old 08-11-2019, 09:14 PM

282 posts, read 189,162 times
First shot: sore arm for 2-3 days.

Second shot: Woke up with headache and flu-like symptoms (muscle aches, feverish) that lasted about a day.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:19 PM

455 posts, read 288,486 times
Same as partirish, really sore arm for a few days from the first, expected the same for the second, but hardly sore at all, instead flu like symptoms.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:25 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,473,141 times
Just a sore arm for two or three days from the first shot. Haven't had the second one yet.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:26 PM

5,587 posts, read 2,935,461 times
Oh, boy, the above posts do not make me thrilled about getting the second shot.

I had the first shot last week. Arm felt very achy and slightly hot in the injection area for about 3 days. A website says the SECOND shot is when people tend to get headache. I sure hope that and the flulike symptoms are not in my future. Ugh.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:49 PM

5,511 posts, read 2,815,982 times
I never had a headache and I get headaches a lot, so I'm surprised at that. The first shot just made me feel "not good". Not bad enough to feel really sick, but not well enough to want to get up and do anything. I kind of expected to not feel good again and had stocked up with ginger ale and soup and food I could stick in the oven so I didn't have to cook. I drank some of the ginger ale, but didn't feel like even eating and when I don't feel like eating, you know I have to be on death's door.

One other symptom I noticed: I was going to the bathroom on the hour every hour, even after just drinking a half glass of water. I have no idea where all that liquid was coming from, but my kidneys must have been working overtime and a half. It was almost like the water just went straight through me and didn't stick. But it did get me to thinking maybe that's why people dehydrate so bad when they're sick. Maybe when people are sick, their body just flushes through everything liquid that they take in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Oh, boy, the above posts do not make me thrilled about getting the second shot.

I had the first shot last week. Arm felt very achy and slightly hot in the injection area for about 3 days. A website says the SECOND shot is when people tend to get headache. I sure hope that and the flulike symptoms are not in my future. Ugh.
What got me through it was two Benadryl so I could sleep and thinking about how awful I felt when I had shingles for two weeks. But I would far rather have had the headache than that &^$#%^ pain in my fingers. If it hadn't been for that, I don't think I'd have been nearly as miserable.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:00 PM

1,670 posts, read 1,000,478 times
I received my first vaccine several months ago. Since my DH suffered flu-like symptoms with both injections, I was worried. The first one for him was the worst: severe headache. But, not to worry, all I suffered was a sore arm at the injection site.

I have an appointment at the same pharmacists in two weeks so will report my reaction then. A friend of ours had the interior version of shingle. 53 on a scale of 1-10 for pain. He still feels rough 8 months later. Another friend had the first vaccine from a number of years ago. He just recovered from a mild case of shingles. He is scheduled for his two vaccine series.

We have Benadryl and over the counter pain meds so will have them handy.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:55 PM

4,634 posts, read 1,780,519 times
No, no reaction at all,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement