Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 04:17 AM

178 posts, read 147,553 times

Advertisements

I’m in my mid 70s and I have to say that I am distressed by the fact that old people get such a bad rap. Yes, we old-timers do get senior citizen reductions in costs, and Portland, Oregon calls its senior citizens “honored citizens”. But the overwhelming feeling I get as an old-timer is that I’m somehow in the way, unless I’m paying for something. Once l’ve actually paid, I’m back to being in the way.

The fact is that everyone - EVERYONE - either gets old or they don’t. Either way, why don’t younger people have more respect for old people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 04:46 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
FWIW, I know a lot of young people who feel they don't get respect.

I certainly remember as a school kid that not getting respect was a common gripe--we couldn't wait to get older, because then people will finally see you're not just some dumb kid.

In college, I heard plenty of griping about how the man didn't respect us. But we were going to save the world and then finally get some respect.

In my 20s I got my first real jobs and discovered nobody in the corporate world respected me. And banks wouldn't just hand me money just because I had ideas. They all wanted to see what I had done, not what I wanted to do. No respect, I tell ya.

In my 30s I started noticing people passing me over for very shallow reasons. I didn't get a few job promotions I deserved, and they went to 20-somethings who had less qualifications than I did but were young and fresh. Talk about feeling no respect!

In my 50s I knew several people carrying heavy burdens of job stress, college tuitions and caretaking for older relatives and felt none of the people they were helping gave them any respect.

Now here I am in my senior years, and I'm still not being respected, LOL. I'm at the gym and some muscled young man is annoyed that I'm using a piece of equipment that he's waiting for. Sorry, kid, but grandma has a right to use gym equipment too. And I think: Why do I have to think such things, he should just respect me! Right? He looks at me like I'm old and I'm in the way. Yes, OP, I know that feeling too. I look back at him and think he's in the way. Respect is a 2-way street, after all. But then I smile at him, because there's enough tension in the world already and what does it matter, anyway. I have cancer, I've got bigger things on my plate these days than some attitude from a kid who doesn't respect me.

I guess the only people who feel respected are newborns. Or maybe they just haven't learned how to gripe about it yet.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 01-27-2019 at 05:08 AM..

Old 01-27-2019, 04:50 AM

334 posts, read 227,015 times
Respect is earned. not conferred by age.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:27 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoplasmic View Post

Endoplasmic pretty much nailed it. In my experience, the elderly I knew always got respect. I'm a young senior (65) and I've never been disrespected. But, if I acted like a jerk, was disrespectful to others, petty, and mean, I wouldn't expect to be treated respectfully. What goes around, comes around.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:20 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoplasmic View Post
I agree. Just because you're old, it doesn't mean people should treat you differently. If your a jerk, don't expect anyone to go out of their way to be nice to you.
With that said however, I have noticed people in general are more respectful towards me, even young people I don't know. Often people I don't even know will call me sir even young people and that almost never used to happen 10 years ago.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:32 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Long ago, elders were the repository of important knowledge. Now with new technology, it's 12 year olds, lol.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:46 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Long ago, elders were the repository of important knowledge. Now with new technology, it's 12 year olds, lol.

Ha ha ha, a lot of truth to this.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:59 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
I’m 70. It’s not something I’ve noticed. I never respected anyone because of their age, sex, race, sexual preference, religion, etc. I can respect them once I know them and understand their character. Otherwise, you’re just a stranger and I have no opinion.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:59 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Those who say respect is earned are just talking to the air. Instead I would say that everyone should be born respected. Only if you blatantly become a bad actor will you lose my respect. Or you might lose my respect for a moment when you act or speak thoughtlessly. But I start out respecting you unless you ruin that for yourself.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:02 AM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
At 75 and I don't think I'm particularly good looking thin pretty women smile at me all the time if I dress nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement