U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,914,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I could probably meet more if I went to our pool during the day, but I go in the early morning to avoid people (children!) so I can swim laps. (Neighborhoods with amenities need HOA's to manage them, so it isn't just about avoiding cars up on blocks, as a previous poster suggested).
Everyone in this area has their own pool and spa, utterly essential for surviving infernal Phoenix summers.

Since there are no shared amenities, there's nothing for an HOA to manage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Some people are just better than others when it comes to meeting people and making new friends. I don't know if a neighborhood makes much difference.

Making an effort to meet people is what makes the difference, in my humble opinion. I agree it doesn't matter where you live.

Old Today, 07:13 AM

6,012 posts, read 5,370,500 times
Too many think that if you live in a 55+ you are not allowed to leave. I live in a county of 4.5 million so I have all that the 55+ offers and many more things available nearby.

Making friends in a 55+ is easy. If a person is active they will meet people all the time in a large 55+. While you are doing the things you enjoy you will meet others that enjoy the same be it golf, tennis, stained glass, or whatever.

Death. It happens just like it did in the places you lived before.

Old Today, 08:14 AM

30,813 posts, read 49,685,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Searching for our retirement home, we have been focused on over 55 communities. Wondering, how many of you have moved,to a new state, and have not known a soul, and purchased a home in a regular neighborhood.
Were you able to meet people, find clubs to join, or are you happy in your own little world. It seems to me, being in a retirement community, would give you a support system, people watching out for others. Love to hear your thoughts.
I think we did that.

I retired from the US Navy onto pension while living in Italy. We decided to move back stateside, to a state that we had never visited before.

I bought land, built a house, etc.

We kind of jumped into a selection of social groups, met people, the first groups that we got into, we are no longer active in. As we have settled we have found other groups that suit us better.

We are NOT in a 55+ community.

Old Today, 08:40 AM

5,918 posts, read 4,923,765 times
We moved cross country to a community that is not age restricted, but is mostly inhabited (I'd say 80%) by 50+ agers. We didn't know a soul, but with the various clubs and interest groups we found it easy to make friends. The people here are an unusually friendly bunch and we were, in fact, greeted by our new neighbors and invited over for "get to know you" wine and cheese parties, etc. A new home is being built on our little cul-de-sac, and we've already met the buyers. Again it was a "meet the new people" event initiated just to welcome them to our little group. I'm looking forward to them moving in because they are closer to our age than most of our other neighbors. I'm hoping she'll be my golf buddy. I don't think we could have ever found a more welcoming community, or people so eager to make new friends. I guess it's because most of the folks here are transplants from all around the country.

Old Today, 08:52 AM

1,383 posts, read 630,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Everyone in this area has their own pool and spa, utterly essential for surviving infernal Phoenix summers.

Since there are no shared amenities, there's nothing for an HOA to manage.
No entrance to the neighborhood that has to be maintained? Even that can become a controversy when it is all voluntary and only a few will chip in either time or money. Give me a good mandatory HOA any day of the week. Of course, not needed if you are not in a subdivision.

Old Today, 08:56 AM

1,383 posts, read 630,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Making an effort to meet people is what makes the difference, in my humble opinion. I agree it doesn't matter where you live.
It can be a learned skill. The first few times I went to Meetups, I was nervous and hesitant. Now, I have done it so much that there are zero nerves and I am totally at ease meeting new people. Particularly with Meetup, newbies should realize that most Meetup groups have people rotating in and out constantly. They are totally used to new people showing up and generally are very welcoming.

Old Today, 09:05 AM

1,091 posts, read 660,600 times
My father got into one. Turned out it was all Gladys Kravitz'es, even the men. He felt isolated and depressed and sat alone in a new house. His lady-friend at the time dumped him after talking him into buying it for a dancing Klem Kadiddlehopper dancer who married her after dating a month.
Keep in mind that trying to sell is nearly impossible as folks can choose their own finishes. It sat on the market a year after he passed and was sold at a loss.

Old Today, 09:45 AM

12,176 posts, read 5,260,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
We moved cross country to a community that is not age restricted, but is mostly inhabited (I'd say 80%) by 50+ agers. We didn't know a soul, but with the various clubs and interest groups we found it easy to make friends. The people here are an unusually friendly bunch and we were, in fact, greeted by our new neighbors and invited over for "get to know you" wine and cheese parties, etc. A new home is being built on our little cul-de-sac, and we've already met the buyers. Again it was a "meet the new people" event initiated just to welcome them to our little group. I'm looking forward to them moving in because they are closer to our age than most of our other neighbors. I'm hoping she'll be my golf buddy. I don't think we could have ever found a more welcoming community, or people so eager to make new friends. I guess it's because most of the folks here are transplants from all around the country.
Speaking for myself as in introvert, that would be too much for me. I would feel like I was on display for the neighbors. No thank you.
I don't mind meeting people gradually, but not a dozen at a time who are there for the sole purpose to look me over. That's very uncomfortable for me, and I'm terrible at small talk. I'll most likely begin to stutter. I know I will probably come across as stand-offish to some, but that's not my intention. It's just my comfort level is different than someone else's.
It sounds like you found an ideal spot for yourself though

Last edited by marino760; Today at 09:55 AM..

Old Today, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
No entrance to the neighborhood that has to be maintained?
Nope. It's just an ordinary street. Not gated. No sign. The subdivision has a name but there isn't a fancy entrance that needs maintaining.

There's a homeowner near here who has a subterranean house. All you can see from the street is the roof. The satellite view on Google Earth is hilarious. You can't even tell it's a house.

This is an area of $1 million-plus homes.

I think it's nuts to move to Arizona, the Live and Let Live state, and buy a house in an HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or