Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 11:07 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,618,572 times

Advertisements

I do like the built-in social aspect of condo living. Both my former in the Gulf of TX and now in Ecuador are not specifically over-55 but in reality, that's what they are. Both are very friendly and welcoming. We were invited to Happy Hours right away in both.

You can interact as much or as little as you want, but at least there are folks more or less aware of you and care if you are dead or alive. We all help each other and see each other at the pool. We all like it laid-back with no kids running and screaming.

When we didn't see our neighbor for a couple days, and banging on his door accomplished nothing, we all began to worry. Finally the group decision was to put a ladder up to his balcony and agile DH climbed onto his porch and knocked on his reflective sliders. He was in bed with headphones on, LOL. But he was very grateful we all cared that much, as once he really WAS in trouble and unable to get help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 11:12 AM

5,240 posts, read 3,599,142 times
I'm interested in following this because a specifically designed "over 55 community" draws people from all over & they are more used to having new people show up in the nabe plus there typically isn't much/any family around so it behooves folks to be more open to the newbies.

On the other hand my life has been pretty idiosyncratic & not much involved with group activities outside of work. I wonder if the whole "school" dynamic of cliques & pressure to conform to belong is dominant & kicks in there then?

Old 08-13-2019, 12:41 PM

4,039 posts, read 2,904,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Searching for our retirement home, we have been focused on over 55 communities. Wondering, how many of you have moved,to a new state, and have not known a soul, and purchased a home in a regular neighborhood.
Were you able to meet people, find clubs to join, or are you happy in your own little world. It seems to me, being in a retirement community, would give you a support system, people watching out for others. Love to hear your thoughts.
Moved from WI to NV and into a 55+ community. Best decision I ever made.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:30 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,054,922 times
my uncle lived in Michigan and then he moved into a 55+ mhp in Largo florida he loved it . He made male friends and he used the pool and he did not have to mow the lawn and he enjoyed the card playing groups they did bingo etc .Also when they did not see him for three days they called in a welfare check on him and he was so sick he had laid in the bed for three days ,He had a horrible flu . The ladies that lived on each side of him brought him soup and took his lil terrier dog out and walked him and made sure he was okay everyday while he was recovering . As his daughter told me he could not have been happier with all this care . He passed and they sold his mobile home to a really nice single fellow in his late 60s . I hope he was as happy with the place as my uncle had been . I plan to do the same thing move to a nice mhp 55+ and live out my life happy .

Old 08-13-2019, 03:51 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,627,339 times
Quote:
Searching for our retirement home, we have been focused on over 55 communities. Wondering, how many of you have moved,to a new state, and have not known a soul, and purchased a home in a regular neighborhood.
Were you able to meet people, find clubs to join, or are you happy in your own little world. It seems to me, being in a retirement community, would give you a support system, people watching out for others. Love to hear your thoughts.
We've made wonderful friends in our dual retirement locations. There are active empty-nest / newcomers clubs. Tons of fun. Meeting new people is easy.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:05 PM

8,739 posts, read 5,024,731 times
Thanks everyone! Enjoyed reading all your posts. We are leaning towards, an over 55 community.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:45 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,426,886 times
We looked at many 55+

Folks there were having a good time.

Even with that we opted not to go 55+

We built in a gated community. New home to our specs. Loaded with young marrieds, young families, teenagers and the older group. Everyone has a blast. Block parties for major holiday (4th, Memorial), Halloween truck or Treat and adult parties at end if many many driveways as kids play about, Luminaries event around Christmas plus the usual community center parties for the heck of it. We even have our own closed Facebook page just for residents.

So, no one style is the “winner” it all depends on your personal needs and where you feel you can *** un and be happy.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:15 PM

16,059 posts, read 10,704,980 times
Based on the few places I visited, none had any appeal for me. My reaction was one of either wondering where everyone was hiding or that it was some kind of holding area disguised as a crazed cruise ship. I couldn’t get away fast enough. If someone has experience living in an apartment or in close proximity to neighbors with little privacy, the places I saw might be ok. I have friends who lived for a while in a Phoenix retirement community and liked it and the social activities but they moved out after five years to be closer to grandchildren in the Midwest.

I moved 1000 miles to a place where I had no family or friends that was as far from my little midwestern town culturally as it could be. I had friends quickly including a neighbor who took me on as a project of sorts. I think making friends as a single retired man might be easier than for a couple. The hardest part was finding a church that felt right. I’m not super religious but attended a church for 30 years and finally settled on one that I like ok but it isn’t quite the same. My daughter moved here after about a year so my close family followed me here.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:27 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,563,391 times
Quote:
I moved back to an area to be near relatives. Huge mistake.

I think it's important, for me at least, to be near people my own age, single retired women (like me) in the area, public transportation of some sort, good medical providers in the area, excellent hospitals, groups and activities that interest me (biking groups for seniors, tennis, or whatever).

It's harder to make friends when you're older. But when you're a couple, I think it's probably easier. A lot of people do it.

Yes, a support system is very important.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:42 PM

25 posts, read 19,582 times
We lived in a 55+ community for a short time before deciding to relocate to a mixed neighborhood. There were positive and negatives about being in a 55+ community. It was easier to meet people, there were a lot of amenities, and everyone was of similar age so had common interests. The abundance of amenities is what drew our interest.

We didn't like the fact that most of the homes all looked alike, tended to be poorly built, had very small yards with minimal privacy, and strict HOAs (what do you mean no windchimes or heaven forbid you park on the street overnight). It sure seemed strange some of the petty things some people complained about. Also, there seemed to be alot of cliques, reminded you of high school. I remember attending a women's luncheon as a new resident and everyone sat in round tables with about 10 other women. Being more of an introvert myself didn't help, but I don't think more than a couple words were spoken to me during the entire event. It just wasn't a good fit in many ways.

We are now going to build in a new community in a different state, but in a mixed community, people of all ages. Homes are still moderately sized with smaller yards, but with more space than we had in the 55+ neighborhood. I think you can meet friends in places besides your immediate neighborhood, like at church or meet up groups with others of similar interest, etc. But, the decision is very individualized and 55+ communities may be great for some and not so great for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement