U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 02:56 PM

4,008 posts, read 1,711,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Actually Kaiser Health is not affiliated with Kaiser Permanente at all
Sure. And Kaiser Hawaii is not affiliated with Kaiser Northern California. I know because they told me I had to apply as a new patient when I moved to Hawaii. Funny thing, I still had to mail my premiums to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 04:00 PM

270 posts, read 203,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Sure. And Kaiser Hawaii is not affiliated with Kaiser Northern California. I know because they told me I had to apply as a new patient when I moved to Hawaii. Funny thing, I still had to mail my premiums to California.
Not a good analogy...Kaiser Hawaii is the same Kaiser, just run on a different model

Old 08-14-2019, 04:03 PM

270 posts, read 203,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Not a good analogy...Kaiser Hawaii is the same Kaiser, just run on a different model
Just did a quick google...Kaiser Hawaii is Kaiser Permanente

Kaiser Health is not

I worked for them for 20 years

Old 08-14-2019, 11:16 PM

298 posts, read 51,188 times
We have had good results with Kaiser - they have been fine and we have used more than basic checkups.

Old Today, 04:12 AM

21,225 posts, read 14,050,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The thing that struck me in that article was the cost of the metal knee joint. It is about $3000 in Mexico and $8000 in the US. I had heard that there is a huge markup in artificial joints because of monopolistic practices in which hospitals sign agreements with the US company that makes them to not allow any other joint to be used by the surgeons. Otherwise the patient could mail order a knee joint from Mexico and have the surgeon put that one in, and save $5k.

This is another example of how our system is really broken. Too many backroom deals being struck with no transparency to the consumer or ability to comparison shop.
Now you know why and understand the medical device tax passed as part of ACA was so widely despised.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ion/995325001/

Old Today, 08:30 AM

482 posts, read 435,940 times
Just for perspective, the tax is 2.3% and the US markup is 167%. But, it's convenient to bash the ACA when the problems are elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or