Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 06:59 AM

5,142 posts, read 3,072,415 times

Advertisements

It amazes me how insular and xenophobic Americans can be when it comes to health care. I’ve experienced health care at clinics and hospitals in Europe, South America, and Asia. Nothing serious, just cuts, abdominal pain (thought it could be appendicitis), and a severe cold. All I saw were competent people, clean facilities, and modern equipment. No dirt-floor huts or witch doctors. I’ve actually experienced worse attitudes and facilities at hospitals here in the USA.

Unlike here in the the USA, no ER doctor tried to bill me $1250 for a 15-minute consultation, or $650 for a saline iv bag. I paid cash or used a credit card for the services in these other countries and that was it. IIRC the most expensive procedure was a CT scan in Santiago, about 70,000 pesos or $150 USD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 11:56 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,259,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
It amazes me how insular and xenophobic Americans can be when it comes to health care. I’ve experienced health care at clinics and hospitals in Europe, South America, and Asia. Nothing serious, just cuts, abdominal pain (thought it could be appendicitis), and a severe cold. All I saw were competent people, clean facilities, and modern equipment. No dirt-floor huts or witch doctors. I’ve actually experienced worse attitudes and facilities at hospitals here in the USA.

Unlike here in the the USA, no ER doctor tried to bill me $1250 for a 15-minute consultation, or $650 for a saline iv bag. I paid cash or used a credit card for the services in these other countries and that was it. IIRC the most expensive procedure was a CT scan in Santiago, about 70,000 pesos or $150 USD.
I've only had to see a doctor in a foreign country once. Italy - well the island of Sicily. I was stationed at a militray base there and broke a foot. When it was time to take off my cast, i was sent to a local hospital. It was nice. No big deal.

I knew of other people that had surgery and other procedure there. They were fine

I have a relative that goes to Cancun for some procedures.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:58 AM

I have a friend whose hubby had a heart incident in Spain. She said the care was excellent! She was amazed, and they live in a large metropolitan city with plenty of hospitals and doctors, but this topped it.

I have other friends who have procedures done here in the states - 75% develop some infection and have to spend weeks on intravenous antibiotics. Crazy.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:16 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,941,558 times
Isn't anecdotal evidence fun?

Old 08-13-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yes!!! The natural high is restored!!

Old 08-13-2019, 01:44 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,635,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The thing that struck me in that article was the cost of the metal knee joint. It is about $3000 in Mexico and $8000 in the US. I had heard that there is a huge markup in artificial joints because of monopolistic practices in which hospitals sign agreements with the US company that makes them to not allow any other joint to be used by the surgeons. Otherwise the patient could mail order a knee joint from Mexico and have the surgeon put that one in, and save $5k.

This is another example of how our system is really broken. Too many backroom deals being struck with no transparency to the consumer or ability to comparison shop.
Yes.

Also, don't forget the Obamacare tax on artificial joints.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:45 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,635,683 times
Quote:
Isn't flying these days a lot like a colonoscopy anyway?
That made me smile.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:21 PM

5,142 posts, read 3,072,415 times
Quote:
Almost as funny as the cost of health care here in the U.S.A., 3X to 10X the cost of the comparable services in other developed countries. A real knee slapper — hahahahaha!

Old 08-13-2019, 07:21 PM

3,083 posts, read 2,211,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Yes.

Also, don't forget the Obamacare tax on artificial joints.
Sure! Brilliant! The cost of the device in the US - $8000, in Mexico - $3500. And, you are blaming it on the 2.3% tax on artificial joints. Couldn’t get more rational, could it?

Old 08-13-2019, 09:48 PM

1,499 posts, read 884,206 times
Quote:
The travel time more than wiped out any profit. He actually lost money. I'm sure he could have done five to ten knees just in the time it took to fly there and back. Even at $900 a pop, that's a lot more money.

Whoopie.

Keep in mind this article is promoted by one of the most notorious health care providers in the U.S., Kaiser. I'm sure they would love to send their pts to Mexico, they just have to get people used to the idea first.
Actually Kaiser Health is not affiliated with Kaiser Permanente at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement