U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

6,992 posts, read 1,490,929 times

Advertisements

Also, for women, do you still diet for weight loss or maintenance? And, if not, how old were you when you gave it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM

5,428 posts, read 15,516,161 times
I had to give up beer 5 years ago. It was preventing me from getting a good night's sleep. It wasn't the alcohol. It was because I was having to get up multiple times a night to pee.

I'm also having more trouble sleeping after eating dinners containing heavy carbs like pizza and pasta.

Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM

22,175 posts, read 16,861,331 times
Although I have grown away from eating certain things, I didn't have to stop eating any of them. My eating choices simply changed. In fact, after many years of not drinking milk, 2 or 3 years ago I suddenly found myself back in the habit of drinking chocolate milk daily and will continue to drink it. I have to have my chocolate fix after all.

Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM

10,163 posts, read 12,459,296 times
I am eating smaller portions and have noted that if I eat a large meal in the evening I wake up feeling nauseated.

Morning breakfast is cup of coffee with non-dairy creamer. I prefer the powdered Original Creamora and more of it than usual. One slice of buttered toast goes with it and that is breakfast.

Favorite lunch at home is usually cottage cheese (large curd) and fresh pineapple. I don't drink any milk but I like cottage cheese and have it with melon as well sometimes. Fruit is always a nice treat.

When the wife and eat at a restaurant we nearly always split a meal purchasing an extra salad. She likes Italian dressing and I like my Bleau Cheese but even if with we usually take home a doggie bag for later. An 8 ounce steak is plenty for both of us and I remember 50 years ago when I could eat an entire 18 oz T-Bone all myself. We always get baked sweet potatoes because I heard it is healthier and we like em better.

Just finished my evening meal which was a small yogurt cup with carbonated water. Maybe later I might have a few Pita chips with hummus but it will be a very small portion.

Sometimes we will have salmon fillet or baked chicken breast but we usually split these too.

In the past year I have lost about 15 lbs without trying which is great because back then I could have lost 40 and now I got but 25 to go.

My guess is we are eating healthier than we ever have before.

Used to love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches but they are gone forever as they really upset my stomach anymore.

Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM

4,060 posts, read 2,593,626 times
I got a stent 2 years ago and I'm in a big senors group at church and a lot of us older people have stents or more serious heart trouble. So we try to eat heart healthy, no steaks, hamburgers, french fries, in general no greasy stuff. Or animal fat stuff, cheese.

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

1,679 posts, read 1,547,174 times
I almost had to give up hot green chile a couple of years ago as it was causing indigestion. Switched to medium. But I've lost some weight and now seem to be able to handle it so will stock my freezer once again with hot in the upcoming chile season. I've already cut down significantly on fried foods and barbecue for similar reasons but don't want to give up more.

Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM

61 posts, read 21,505 times
Quit drinking two years ago, for no reason at all.

Feel 25 years younger. Incredible.

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

582 posts, read 277,164 times
What foods, if any, have you had to give up in your senior years?

I've given up all spicy foods, red sauces and corn.

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM

852 posts, read 837,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I had to give up beer 5 years ago. It was preventing me from getting a good night's sleep. It wasn't the alcohol. It was because I was having to get up multiple times a night to pee.

I'm also having more trouble sleeping after eating dinners containing heavy carbs like pizza and pasta.

Definitely have had to give up anything heavy or fatty and not to close to bedtime.

Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM

2,760 posts, read 4,375,325 times
66 and nothing yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or