U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 06:43 PM

30,872 posts, read 49,790,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I can agree with this. The late boomers have little in common with early boomers. If you were born in '63, you would have known next to nothing about Woodstock, the concert that supposedly represents the baby boomer generation. You would probably identify more with Alex Keaton from Family Ties than Meathead from All in the Family.
I was born in '59.

My memory of Woodstock was Walter Cronkites news report. He said that the hippies were so stoned they were bathing in a mud puddle. I remember watching to see if there was any footage of nekkid girls.

I grew-up in a rural farming community. Listening to Country music, I was not introduced to rock until after I joined the Navy in 1977.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 07:00 PM

1,080 posts, read 277,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don’t think any of my boomer friends would have much trouble placing The Netherlands on a map. It says more about the education level of the people at the table and their intellectual engagement in life.
I agree. I well remember geography, I also recall civics lessons and learning the branches and functions of government. Not sure whether or not civics is still taught.

Last edited by Maddie104; 08-18-2019 at 07:24 PM..

Old 08-18-2019, 07:32 PM

24,137 posts, read 17,971,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The principal and critical error of the boomer generation was in creating the following population wave.

The ~142Million we had in 1940 became ~213Million by 1970.
That 71M expansion, a ~50% gain, was done by their (our) parents.
The boom boomed too much.

But allowing even encouraging growth by yet another 71M expansion to 291Million by 2000?
Even if it's remedied by the oncoming generations... it will go down in infamy.
One of the big problems with economic growth as we currently measure it is that it basically requires an ever-expanding labor force. Too many people came too quickly with too few being born on the back end.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:14 PM

167 posts, read 100,282 times
Our biggest failure was putting all our recreational wars and entitlement costs on our children's and grandchildren's credit card. If they refuse to pay the bill once the national credit card maxes out I won't blame them.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:54 PM

769 posts, read 135,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
You were pre-Boomer -- inbetweeners. In some ways that group turned out to be the early achievers and inspirers when you look at famous early rock groups and culture heroes. You guys had coattails that some others rode in on. The Boomers propelled some of them to star status.

Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Al Kooper, Richie Furie, Mike Bloomfield, Gladys Knight, Michele Phillips, Barry White, Tug McGraw, Leonard Peltier, Bill Clinton, Leonard Slatkin, Rita Coolidge, John Carlos, Carly Simon, Steve Martin, Van Morrison, Itzhak Perlman, Jose Feliciano, and Don McLean all were/are inbetweeners.

I believe those born between '61-64 are also inbetweeners. We do not identify with boomers at all, nor with Gen Xers. Furthermore, we don't have many big name stars born then. An awful lot of people somewhere between 55 and 58 these days don't even make it to 60 years old. We are products of a very consumerist, sexualized, and fatalist upbringing.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:03 PM

14,136 posts, read 20,614,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
discussion ensued at our table as to where the Netherlands was located
Next door to Holland?

Old 08-19-2019, 12:00 AM

7,172 posts, read 3,972,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I donít think any of my boomer friends would have much trouble placing The Netherlands on a map. It says more about the education level of the people at the table and their intellectual engagement in life.
Yes, this. Did they discover that the Netherlands has also been called Holland? Did that change anything?

How many of those people ever read a newspaper or news magazine? Do they read books? Do they travel outside the country? Where do they get their current events information? Is it all from their television that is locked into a single station at an extreme of the political spectrum?

Do they vote? (That's the scary part.)

Old 08-19-2019, 03:52 PM

8,090 posts, read 5,149,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Think youíre right. I was born in 1945 and donít qualify as a Boomer. Is there some alternate generational label for an old geezer like me?
The cultural identity of a cohort can differ from trends in population boom/bust. The birthrate during WW2 was comparatively low, so by birth-volume the early 40's kids aren't "boomers". But by culture? I'd revise the traditional numbers, calling those born between say 1938 and 1955 the "boomers"... that is, persons who were too young to have much personal recollection of the Depression or WW2, but who were old-enough to be draft-eligible for Vietnam. This is also the last cohort that reached adulthood in an era when blue-collar jobs were plentiful and remunerative. That trend was winding down by the mid-70s. A person born in 1960 would have been coming of age already at a time when American manufacturing and unionization was in decline.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:02 PM

20,208 posts, read 14,400,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I sometimes get confused by these generational studies.
That's because they're commentary by hacks and not by bona fide sociologists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I am really tired of the whole "baby boomer" label. Most of my cousins were born 1948-54. My siblings were born from 1959-66. We share almost no values of our older cousins and are probably more likely to side with our parents and their generation.
Well, some bona fide sociologists figured that out years ago.

It's called the Tweener Generation. Usually 1958-1964.

Those persons have a markedly different set of values, mores and beliefs than the generations before or after to the point of being totally dissimilar. That was two men and woman (I can't remember their names) and they canned their study because they thought it was flawed. They did a second study and came up with nearly identical results and then realized their first study wasn't flawed at all: there really is a difference.

I can't identify with Boomers or Generation X-Box. It's like being in-between two totally different worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm guessing this is the best forum for this...

Your Baby Boomer Report Card
What grade has a generation earned?

If thereís one thing young adults can agree on, it is that baby boomers have ruined the world.

The Boomers inherited a world created by the Lost Generation, GI Generation and Silent Generation.

If anything, Boomers should be credited for ending the stupidity.

Believe me, you wouldn't want the Lost, GI or Silent Generation still running the show.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:08 PM

14,364 posts, read 7,676,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's because they're commentary by hacks and not by bona fide sociologists.

Well, some bona fide sociologists figured that out years ago.

It's called the Tweener Generation. Usually 1958-1964.

Maybe. The last year of the military draft was 1973. I think that's the generational break point. If you were born in 1956, you didn't have to worry about coming home in a body bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or