Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 12:54 AM

6 posts, read 3,789 times

Advertisements

Beware of extended approval time of your SS retirement benefit application when you live abroad without US address.
You are unable to set up „my Social Security“ account, you have to apply for it through US Embassy FBU outside the US. The process can take a year, quite a surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 03:58 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDyardak View Post
Beware of extended approval time of your SS retirement benefit application when you live abroad without US address.
You are unable to set up „my Social Security“ account, you have to apply for it through US Embassy FBU outside the US. The process can take a year, quite a surprise.
Thanks. Valuable information.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:20 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:
Good information. I can see some extra precaution to help avoid fraud but do not think it is reasonable to take a year. Not a good reflection on government efficiency.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:25 AM

6 posts, read 3,789 times
I felt like a con until I came across info about cost cutting at the SSA.
Then SSA responded when asked if there was any problem with my application, they wrote:
.... there is a long line of cases awaiting a final decision and that is the reason for the delay....
Nice, I wish I had known that when planning my life in retirement.
I'll keep you posted

Old 08-23-2019, 06:20 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:
I felt like a con until I came across info about cost cutting at the SSA.
Then SSA responded when asked if there was any problem with my application, they wrote:
.... there is a long line of cases awaiting a final decision and that is the reason for the delay....
Nice, I wish I had known that when planning my life in retirement.
I'll keep you posted
The IRS customer service also has a long line. Maybe that is a requirement of government agencies.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:56 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
It is simple and inexpensive for anyone living outside the USA to maintain a private mail address in the US. I have a private mailbox address with a CMRA (commercial mail receiving agency) in Houston that I use for all my USA based financial accounts, private pension, taxes and US health insurance. I don't receive SS yet, but when I apply, I'll use my Houston mailbox address. Problem solved.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:04 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
It is simple and inexpensive for anyone living outside the USA to maintain a private mail address in the US. I have a private mailbox address with a CMRA (commercial mail receiving agency) in Houston that I use for all my USA based financial accounts, private pension, taxes and US health insurance. I don't receive SS yet, but when I apply, I'll use my Houston mailbox address. Problem solved.
Yes, a U.S. address is pretty much required for a lot of things. Investment accounts for one. So much easier for everything to keep a U.S. address. Like keeping Drivers Licenses current...

Unlike you in Germany, we don't even get mail here, LOL. I don't mind!

Old 08-24-2019, 06:22 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, a U.S. address is pretty much required for a lot of things. Investment accounts for one. So much easier for everything to keep a U.S. address. Like keeping Drivers Licenses current...

Unlike you in Germany, we don't even get mail here, LOL. I don't mind!
Then do you get to vote via mail ballot?
And is that illegal to have only a postal address vs a physical one if you are not on US soil—
I can understand using a mail holding/forwarding company if say you live in RV and travel w/o a fixed physical address
But living overseas 24/7 would seem to violate some legal provisions

Old 08-24-2019, 11:02 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Then do you get to vote via mail ballot?
And is that illegal to have only a postal address vs a physical one if you are not on US soil—
I can understand using a mail holding/forwarding company if say you live in RV and travel w/o a fixed physical address
But living overseas 24/7 would seem to violate some legal provisions
Yes, I can vote by mail, as a registered voter with my address in Houston. There are many millions of US citizens who are full time residents of other countries for work, study, retirement or family purposes. A large percentage maintain a US address through a mail forwarding company just like I do. There is nothing illegal or wrong about it.

I pay my US income taxes fully and honestly, so the federal government does not care if I am in the US moving around in an RV, or in another country renting a furnished apartment. I pay more in US income taxes than the vast majority of taxpayers living in the US, so why would I not have the right to cast a ballot in an election that determines how my tax dollars are used? I am not living outside the USA forever, this is just a phase in my retirement experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement