U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 06:02 PM

9,579 posts, read 9,364,168 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing this is the best forum for this...

Your Baby Boomer Report Card
What grade has a generation earned?

If there’s one thing young adults can agree on, it is that baby boomers have ruined the world. This seems a tad harsh. So maybe it’s time for a resentment-free assessment of the boomers, conducted by a trained pop sociologist with no ax to grind.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/08/o...port-card.html

https://www.dangolka.com/your-baby-boomer-report-card/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 05:11 AM

2,554 posts, read 1,124,616 times
This thread will be deleted at the first sign of a "Generation" war. No "Us vs. Them". Thanks.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:07 AM

30,843 posts, read 49,731,150 times
Quote:
... Politics | C- |

The baby boomer political era began in 1992, with the election of Bill Clinton. In the five years before that, these leaders dominated world politics: Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, Mikhail Gorbachev, Nelson Mandela, John Paul II, Helmut Kohl and François Mitterrand.

Baby boomers have been unable to match that level of talent. During the years of boomer dominance — from Bill Clinton through Donald Trump — America’s political institutions have become dysfunctional, civic debate has crumbled, debt has soared and few major pieces of legislation have passed.
This statement is taken from during the period. A true assessment can only be done from decades later.

I do agree with the Technology and Innovation | A- | score.

My grandparents grew-up farming by using a mule to drag a plow blade, they lived long enough to see men on the moon.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:36 AM

28,741 posts, read 62,766,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
If there’s one thing young adults can agree on, it is that baby boomers have ruined the world.
This seems a tad harsh.

So maybe it’s time for a resentment-free assessment of the boomers...
The principal and critical error of the boomer generation was in creating the following population wave.

The ~142Million we had in 1940 became ~213Million by 1970.
That 71M expansion, a ~50% gain, was done by their (our) parents.
The boom boomed too much.

But allowing even encouraging growth by yet another 71M expansion to 291Million by 2000?
Even if it's remedied by the oncoming generations... it will go down in infamy.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:07 AM

127 posts, read 14,800 times
I sometimes get confused by these generational studies. That first article says those after 1960 don't count. That is their cut-off. I was born in '59. My husband was born in '54 so by that article we'd be baby boomers. But other places list those born from 1954 to about 1964-65 as Generation Jones. We are coming up on retirement. I don't feel like I really fit in with baby boomers. Just wish these guys would decide who is what.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:25 AM

5,348 posts, read 688,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I sometimes get confused by these generational studies. That first article says those after 1960 don't count. That is their cut-off. I was born in '59. My husband was born in '54 so by that article we'd be baby boomers. But other places list those born from 1954 to about 1964-65 as Generation Jones. We are coming up on retirement. I don't feel like I really fit in with baby boomers. Just wish these guys would decide who is what.
I have never heard of this. Ya learn something new every day

Old 08-13-2019, 10:29 AM

12,183 posts, read 5,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I have never heard of this. Ya learn something new every day
That's new to me as well. I've always been considered a baby boomer and I was born in 59. There was never any debate over it.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:29 AM

13,834 posts, read 6,589,910 times
Quote:
Boomer can be up to 1964 for some studies.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:33 AM

28,741 posts, read 62,766,111 times
Quote:
I sometimes get confused by these generational studies.
That first article says those after 1960 don't count. That is their cut-off.
It's the most common cut-off generally - but there really are no rules.

The youngest of WW2 vets in 1946 were age 20.
Most of them would be finished procreating by age 34 (in 1960).
The older vets would have stopped before then.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:06 AM

8,065 posts, read 5,131,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My grandparents grew-up farming by using a mule to drag a plow blade, they lived long enough to see men on the moon.
Such radical transformations within one human lifetime are unlikely to be reprised. No prior generation witnessed such a thing. It is reasonable to suppose that no successive generation will, either.

Just a few days ago, we celebrated the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. In less than three years, we'll be celebrating (mourning?) the finally Apollo landing. Think about what that means. The people who were born in the months after the final Apollo lunar mission are careening towards 50. The vast majority of living-humanity is younger than that. People who grew up without electricity, indoor plumbing, internal combustion or antibiotics, lived to see a rocket with three million pounds of thrust, lift humans a quarter of a million miles. People who grew up with the benefit of all of those advances and conveniences, have never seen such a rocket, and likely never will.

The oldest Boomers were just barely sufficiently old to have caught the tail-end of the Apollo program, as freshly-graduated aerospace engineers. What a wonderful time to be young!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or