U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM

14,294 posts, read 7,638,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, I doubt it, but it does tend to confirm the sad news about Vermont, which is where I once had my eye.

Like usual, even Vermont is "it depends". Vermont has a stiff statewide school property tax. It's means tested. The state income tax bottom bracket extends up to $64,600 on a joint return. If you're around $60K, Vermont doesn't tax Social Security benefits. Married and retired with $60K mixed between 401(k) distributions and Social Security, you're not paying much tax. If you're within 30 miles of Burlington or Dartmouth-Hitchcock, you have really good health care access.

There is a flip side. I have friends who retired to Vermont and lived fairly low tax until 401(k) RMDs kicked in at 70 1/2 and all the means tested stuff vanished. It was cheaper for them to buy a condo in Florida, declare residence there, and let the tax savings pay for the condo. They're at Beaver Creek for the 2 or 3 prime ski months so their Vermont place is mostly a summer house these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM

1,038 posts, read 631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The biggest electric bill ever with the mini split running 24x7 in a hot July was $80.
Iím skiing in Vermont in the winter. The January gas bill with the house at 50F is $125.
Insurance is about $1600
Property taxes are below $3,000
Water/sewer is about $200/year
I mow my lawn. I donít need an alarm. I barely lock my doors.
For now, I have free internet. I spent the last 20 years in the cable industry. My Vermont place has HD cable bundled into the condo fee.
I pay the town $90 as a yearly fee for trash pickup plus $1.00 per bag

My house is half the size of yours and has new insulation with energyStar doors and windows. Itís the smallest house in the neighborhood with the lowest property taxes. All the systems in the house are less than 10 years old. I did all this on purpose in anticipation of a big drop in my cash flow when I stopped working.

LOL, you barely lock the doors!! What prompted me to put in my alarm system was being told to do so by the B&E inmates that liked me that I came in contact with when working a per diem nursing job in the 90s at the Bristol County House of Corrections which is not to far from where you live. So you might want to at least reconsider locking your doors!!!

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

14,294 posts, read 7,638,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
LOL, you barely lock the doors!! What prompted me to put in my alarm system was being told to do so by the B&E inmates that liked me that I came in contact with when working a per diem nursing job in the 90s at the Bristol County House of Corrections which is not to far from where you live. So you might want to at least reconsider locking your doors!!!

Nah. I'm on a private lane and my house is invisible from the street. I have 100% retired neighbors who are better protection than a half-dozen junk yard dobermans. When you own the smallest house in the neighborhood, you're pretty low risk. They're going to hit the attorney across the street in the million dollar house on the big secluded lot, not mine.

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

10,537 posts, read 5,002,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMatt View Post
These lists don't mean much. My observation as a middle aged man working in the grocery business, with lots of elderly folks among the customer base, is that people aren't as receptive to picking up stakes and moving in retirement as these lists and retirement magazines would have you believe. I live and work on Long Island, suburban NYC, which seems to me one of the worst places for people to retire - terrible weather most of the year, very expensive cost of living, lots of traffic, high taxes. And, in fact, few people come here from other states or regions to retire. But there's a massive base of once young and middle aged people who aged in place and are reluctant to leave the region for any number of reasons: they want to be near children/grandchildren, they want to be near friends, they like their church, their doctors, etc. Often they seem to find the idea of moving from the house they've lived in for many decades to be a frightening prospect.
^^^This^^^

I don't love where I'm living in SW Florida. The summers are too hot for too long and the humidity is awful. When the weather is nice (December-April) we have to contend with all the snowbirds and tourists who clog every aspect of living here. However my whole family is here now including my 10 year old granddaughter. I've also had cancer twice so the thought of having to find all new doctors and possibly being away from my family if I have another health emergency is too much to consider for me. So I stay here and I'm sure I will be here for the rest of my life.

Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

7,089 posts, read 1,523,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, I doubt it, but it does tend to confirm the sad news about Vermont, which is where I once had my eye.
You are not the only one. Vermont was on our finalist list, until we did our research and discovered how extremely liberal it has become. Whatever happened to the traditional self-sufficient and independent Yankee?

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...-states-2013-2

Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM

12,199 posts, read 5,286,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
^^^This^^^

I don't love where I'm living in SW Florida. The summers are too hot for too long and the humidity is awful. When the weather is nice (December-April) we have to contend with all the snowbirds and tourists who clog every aspect of living here. However my whole family is here now including my 10 year old granddaughter. I've also had cancer twice so the thought of having to find all new doctors and possibly being away from my family if I have another health emergency is too much to consider for me. So I stay here and I'm sure I will be here for the rest of my life.
Some people have good reasons for staying put where they are while others do not. If you don't have a good reason to stay, need to move to a lower cost of living area, or just want a different scenery or pace of life, then go for it.

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

2,495 posts, read 643,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
On my 2200 square foot home in Bristol my property taxes alone are $500/month = $6,000/year.
Compare that to this 2123 sq ft 3 bd/3 ba house, Last Sold on 11/07/17.

Property taxes are just under $6,000/MONTH. That's $71,571 per year.

543 Tennyson Ave Palo Alto, CA 94301

Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

947 posts, read 848,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
how extremely liberal it has become. Whatever happened to the traditional self-sufficient and independent Yankee?

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...-states-2013-2
"Liberal" and "self-sufficient/independent" are not opposites. I don't understand this at all.

Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM

7,089 posts, read 1,523,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
"Liberal" and "self-sufficient/independent" are not opposites. I don't understand this at all.
Is it not true that Vermont is very generous to the poor with much in the way of government assistance? (That is what I meant by "extremely liberal".)

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...axes/98587398/

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM

639 posts, read 274,548 times
Went to a wedding in northern Vermont one late summer. It was held at a country B&B. I’ve got a photo of my son and his cousins kicking a soccer ball around the grounds. In it you can see the rays of sunshine coming down from a deep, almost navy, blue sky. Crazy beautiful place. Winters can be very tough, though, and long, long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or