U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 01:50 PM

8,064 posts, read 5,129,612 times

Advertisements

With so much micro-targeting by political ads, Facebook feeds and so forth, one wonders: why aren't these retirement-destination-rankings more carefully targeted to individual readers?

For example, surely the marketing-people know that I don't have kids or other family connections. So, my propensity to move long-distance, would be higher, than that of a more "rooted" person with local family or cultural connections. Why then do I get the same news-feed with retirement-destination advice, as the fellow with four kids and twelve grandkids, whose own great-grandparents settled in this town, and whose family never left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 06:32 PM

862 posts, read 1,315,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I agree traffic in MD is miserable (think NoVa is worse though) but if you are retired does it really matter? The majority of my family are native Marylanders (some traced back to the Ark and the Dove) and they have retired there for generations without too many issues. My mom lives fine on her own in MD as a retiree.
It's not just the traffic. It's the taxes. Unless you qualify for exclusions you're gonna get hit hard. https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retir...state=Maryland

Quote:
Maryland doesnít tax Social Security benefits. If you are 65 or older or totally disabled (or your spouse is totally disabled), you qualify for an exclusion of up to $30,600 on distributions from 401(k), 403(b) and 457 plans, along with income from public and private pensions.

But hereís the hitch: Any income outside those exclusions will be heavily taxed in the Free State. In addition to the state income tax (which has a top rate of 5.75%, Marylandís 23 counties and Baltimore City may levy additional income taxes ranging from 1.75% to 3.20% of taxable income.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:48 PM

1,361 posts, read 1,309,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
People think all of a sudden they'll get thin, happy and hemorrhoid free by moving to another state.
This gave me a much needed laugh. Well played.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

774 posts, read 212,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I guess I better pack up my bags the day I retire. Otherwise, I'm doomed if I stay in Maryland. Been here my whole life and I knew it was expensive and congested but, dang! worst overall?
Stay put if you like. These bests/ worst lists are changing like weather overnight! Just wait- and your state will be a number one state to retire!

Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM

5,944 posts, read 4,934,045 times
Worst state to retire in?

A vegetative state.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

14,250 posts, read 7,617,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Looks like they used REAL science on this!

"One former resident calls Rhode Island's living costs "insane" in a Reddit post"

And it's not particularly accurate. For retirees, Rhode Island has a means test for their state income tax where you get up to $15K of your Social Security income and another $15K of other income excluded from the state tax. The bottom 3.75% bracket extends to $62K so most retirees aren't paying much tax. You can pick a town with low property tax rates. The mill rate in Little Compton 7 miles from my house is $5.96 per thousand. You're not paying much in the way of property taxes.

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

35,738 posts, read 32,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I really wonder...well, not really....how many outsiders go to Iowa to retire?
Who cares. Not everyone is a puss that has to live in a big city and be catered too. Some people actually like the out of doors.

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

63 posts, read 30,364 times
We have friends who retired to VA. Seems weather is relatively moderate. Tax incentives offered. I like the idea that similar to MD you get various areas of ocean, mountains etc. We have enjoyed Williamsburg, Roanoke, Shenandoah over the years, I don't think it is a huge COL saver but every little bit helps.

Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM

7,383 posts, read 15,459,446 times
I stayed in the state I was already in (although I moved to a different city) because I visited other states and didn't find anything I liked better. This guide only talks about the city of Portland, really, where the median house price is $467,000. In my much smaller city, the median house price is $282,000. Could I move to some other state for which the median price is half that? I could. Do I want to? No.

The biggest disadvantage to Oregon is that they tax most retirement income (other than SS), supposedly at 9%. What I actually pay is under 5% after deductions, but that's my tax situation, YMMV.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

267 posts, read 39,692 times
We had planned on returning to Texas for retirement - we had spent 18+ years together in TX - between SW and SE and I myself had spent 24 years in Texas myself. Additionally one of children (and grandchildren) stayed in SE TX when we left in 2011 for a promotion for my DH. He retired in 2013 and started following me in my career as I got promotions and moved to central AZ and then Northern AZ. My latest promotion moved me back to SE TX. We will not be retiring in SE or SW Texas but somewhere more central. DH second career is as a Realtor/Broker and with this move to TX he is working on getting his TX Broker license - and once he has it - we are going to look for our retirement home. When we find it - we will make it an Investment Rental - until I retire in 2026. That is the current plan - and I don't see it changing anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or