U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 10:44 AM

1,038 posts, read 631,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Yes! My biggest fear is people from New York and Connecticut moving here and ruining New Hampshire.

Why would you think that people from CT and southern NY would be flocking to NH in retirement ?? Most people from these states go south in retirement partly to escape the snow and cold and not further north where they will experience equal to if not more snow and cold weather.

A number of years back my niece who was raised in and living in MD at the time which is not exactly the tropics was to interview for a job in NH. My sister her mother took the ride with her to NH in January which was after a pretty big snow fall. My niece knew shortly after crossing the MA border and making her way a short distance into NH, after seeing all that snow as a result she knew pretty quickly NH was not the place for her to live and called and cancelled her job interview. NH is certainly a beautiful state but not for everyone working or retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 12:03 PM

6,959 posts, read 3,806,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Over time though these residents did it to themselves with the high taxes.
They want services. They vote for bonds to build those services. Public service jobs increase to run those services. Their taxes go up to pay for those services.

When it becomes a burden they move.

And then you get "Why is there no bus service here ?", "Why is trash only picked up once a week ?", "Where are all the parks ?", etc.
We used to live in Colorado and loved it. Then the Californians started moving in to escape the taxes and housing costs in California. And those are exactly the complaints we heard from them. "Why doesn't Colorado have this? And why doesn't Colorado do that?"

If you want all that stuff, go back to California and pay for it. But no, they had to turn Colorado into East California.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:25 PM

12,486 posts, read 12,673,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Exactly. Plus, people's priorities are different. When it comes to COL, property tax rates and amenities, one county could be wildly different from another.
Exactly. Oregon's entry talked about the COL in Portland. Where I live, that is irrelevant. We added it up just last week. Property taxes, homeowner's insurance and utilities cost a whopping $350/month for a completely remodeled and updated 3 br. 2 bath house with a creek in the back yard, gazebo overlooking the creek, large shop/office, and barn on 90 acres of timber and meadows. We remodeled the master bath to be handicap accessible, and plan on leaving this place toes up.

It's not perfect. It's an hour and a half drive to see a touring Broadway play or major musical act. Entertainment is pretty much satellite TV, but the internet has broken the back of rural isolation. It's not hard to stay engaged in modern life.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:29 PM

4,991 posts, read 3,454,424 times
We retired from Ohio to California 10 years ago and have no complaints. Lucky enough to buy during the housing downturn. We paid cash to the orginal owner for about half what he bought the place for. Our modest little condo is worth more currently than a McMansion back in Ohio.

And the State taxes here are progressive. We have income based on Social Security and small pensions so the tax bite isnít that bad. We live in the coastal zone and donít need either air con or heating. The medical care here is first rate. I donít ever see going back east.

Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM

706 posts, read 212,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
I’m in Seattle and feel the same way. I want to find another place but it’s difficult these days.
One of my Fallback Plans was to check out Washington State east of the Cascades, or even a bit further south (of the OR/WA border, in a smaller town but still within striking distance of the tri-cities or Walla for medical). Never been up there, though, I love the west but my original plan (WY) is probably a bit too cold and snowy for me now that I've gotten older. You are correct, I haven't even found the "Best" place on paper yet, let alone actually visiting. I have always loved southern UT, maybe St. George will win out, who knows.

Old Yesterday, 05:02 AM

14,291 posts, read 7,638,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
On my 2200 square foot home in Bristol my property taxes alone are $500/month = $6,000/year. And when I add my property taxes to the following additional expenses it costs me 4 x more to live in my home Bristol than it does you to live in your home in South East MA.

Electric - $183/month -(no central AC)
Gas Heat - $183/month
Home & Car Insurance Bundle - $300/month
Water - $90/month
Alarm - $45/month
Cable/Phone/Internet - $164/month
Grass Cutting - & 2 x year yard maintenance - $135
Misc. Home & Other Expenses - $400/month
Total - $2,000/month = $24,000/year

Add to ^ another $6,000/year for healthcare, $12,000/year for food, car gas and maintenance, hair cuts, etc. that total is now at $42,000/year which is $2,000 short of what my expected age 70 Social Security benefit will be. Good for you that you can make ends meet on just your Social Security benefit, and despite you and I living a fairly short distance from each other there is a big distance between us in home ownership expenses even with both not having mortgages.

Fortunately for me I will retire with a FERS pension and TSP/401K which will add a good amount more a year in income to my age 70 Social Security benefit. But, my tax math tells me the amount my 3 income streams will produce as a single filer I will pay in combined Federal and State taxes in the ballpark of $14,600/year. So what remains of my retirement income for fun stuff and throwing some money back in the bank to keep the rainy day fund at a decent level, suffice to say I will likely be going out to eat more often at the Longhorn than at the Capitol Grill.
The biggest electric bill ever with the mini split running 24x7 in a hot July was $80.
Iím skiing in Vermont in the winter. The January gas bill with the house at 50F is $125.
Insurance is about $1600
Property taxes are below $3,000
Water/sewer is about $200/year
I mow my lawn. I donít need an alarm. I barely lock my doors.
For now, I have free internet. I spent the last 20 years in the cable industry. My Vermont place has HD cable bundled into the condo fee.
I pay the town $90 as a yearly fee for trash pickup plus $1.00 per bag

My house is half the size of yours and has new insulation with energyStar doors and windows. Itís the smallest house in the neighborhood with the lowest property taxes. All the systems in the house are less than 10 years old. I did all this on purpose in anticipation of a big drop in my cash flow when I stopped working.

Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM

313 posts, read 53,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
We retired from Ohio to California 10 years ago and have no complaints. Lucky enough to buy during the housing downturn. We paid cash to the orginal owner for about half what he bought the place for. Our modest little condo is worth more currently than a McMansion back in Ohio.

And the State taxes here are progressive. We have income based on Social Security and small pensions so the tax bite isnít that bad. We live in the coastal zone and donít need either air con or heating. The medical care here is first rate. I donít ever see going back east.
The CA state taxes are progressive but increase very rapidly at even modest incomes - at just above 44K in CA you are in the 8% bracket - NY doesn't hit 8% till well over $1M. CA is OK if have a modest income.

Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM

56,868 posts, read 55,210,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
My state ranked 83rd! And yours ranked 98th.
Lol. There are only 50 states.

Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM

14,291 posts, read 7,638,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Yes! I live in New Hampshire and hope to retire in place in 20+ years. My biggest fear is people from New York and Connecticut moving here and ruining New Hampshire.

I used to work in Brookstone Park a few hundred yards from Atkinson and drove through Atkinson commuting from Portsmouth ever day. Somehow, I don't think you have much to fear about New Yorkers retiring to Atkinson. Seacoast or Lakes Region? Sure, but it's mostly Bostonians who retire to their vacation homes rather than New Yorkers. The genie was out of the bottle on that one decades ago.

Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM

56,868 posts, read 55,210,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am curious if anyone actually makes a decision to move to another state because of an article like this?
Haha, I doubt it, but it does tend to confirm the sad news about Vermont, which is where I once had my eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or