U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM

750 posts, read 1,586,294 times

Advertisements

I saw this article today and some of the states listed are not as obvious as you would think. Interesting read.

https://moneywise.com/a/the-worst-st...rement-in-2019
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM

189 posts, read 202,601 times
My state ranked 83rd! And yours ranked 98th.

Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM

1,467 posts, read 700,655 times
This list changes every day.

Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM

12,179 posts, read 5,263,700 times
You have to chuckle because some states that made the 10 best states to retire in by Bankrate are now on this list as some of the worst states to retire in. This is why these lists overall should be taken with a grain of salt. Retire to where ever you like and makes you happy, not where a list tells you to.

Maryland deserves some kind of award though because it was chosen as the worst state to retire in on both lists, LOL.

Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM

1,230 posts, read 287,724 times
Most people don't retire to other states. Chances are their kids and grand kids are where they lived all their lives. And, to get up and move costs 8%-10% of the house you're selling. People think all of a sudden they'll get thin, happy and hemorrhoid free by moving to another state. Too many glossy brochures of fit oldsters playing golf and tennis sipping cocktails court side.
You may think you'll have this every day

But you won't have this every day.

Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM

2,612 posts, read 1,054,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
This list changes every day.

LOL, I agree. Some of these are on other lists, such as 'best states to retire'.

Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM

31 posts, read 7,484 times
I do read these lists but every list has it's own criteria. They are always an interesting read and while each one has criteria I don't care much about they also offer a bit of info that I find interesting, I like doing my research and I am definitely leaving Illinois the absolute first chance I get after retirement and my options are open.

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

23,994 posts, read 17,860,154 times
It depends on what you're looking for.

Tennessee frequently gets a lot of attention. Outside of the major cities, healthcare is often poor. West TN has very little in regard to scenery and bad weather. Crime is high throughout the state.

New England is more expensive, but generally will fare much better on "metrics" than Tennessee.

Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM

8,466 posts, read 9,225,586 times
These best and worst lists are meaningless. I’d have to move and start over every year if I wanted live in somebody’s idea of the “best” place. If you like where you are living, that makes it the best place. If you hate where you live, that makes it a worst place. Kinda simple.

Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM

6,409 posts, read 4,823,440 times
I don't find these to be at all helpful or interesting.

One reason they are close to useless is the diversity within each State. In NY we have economically low cost areas, a number of major cities and of course NYC. These areas are all very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or