U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 02:56 PM

7 posts, read 1,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I live in Rio Rancho, NM -- retired here six years ago from the Midwest, love it and never looked back. The pace in NM is slower than the Midwest in general and without crowds. I have friends retired in Phoenix and I would say this is not anything like that. There is a growing retirement community here and some over-55 places but this is not tennis shorts and golf carts sort of place. Rio Rancho is sometimes called "Little New York" because there were a lot of easterners retiring here at one time but now it seems like there are people coming from other places. There are two hospitals in Rio Rancho and several in Albuquerque. The cost of living is fairly low and housing is reasonable. I live out a bit on 1+ acre with one adjacent neighbor. The quiet is amazing as is the night sky.

The climate is high desert and nearly perfect for a four-season place. We have sun and very low humidity, mild winters with a dusting of snow, reasonable summers, and a beautiful fall. Spring can have some windy days that might surprise some newcomers. Most people do not have air conditioners but rely on evaporative coolers on hot days. The hottest temperature ever recorded in Albuquerque was 107, cooler than where I was raised in the Midwest.

There is plenty to do and the state is gorgeous. Albuquerque is 300 years old and in spite of its population, it is still a small town in some respects and has some growing pains. The metro area is still under a million population. It really grew up after WW2 and Rio Rancho is smaller and newer and lacks some of the historic charms of Old Town and old Rt. 66. Albuquerque is just across the Rio Grande and Santa Fe is an hour away on the RailRunner (free to seniors on Wednesday). Taos is a little farther drive north. I take advantage of Oasis classes for retirees and joined an Italian Culture club for bocce (I'm not Italian at all). Making friends was not a problem.

This is a very diverse community but the three major cultures blend and mix nicely. You will hear several different languages spoken every day and no one notices or cares. There is some kind of festival going on every week. There is a lot of hand wringing about crime in New Mexico but part of that is due to people making bad choices of friends and acquaintances or where they go to hang out...just like anywhere. NM is a poor state and there are opportunists around to take advantage so don't give them opportunities with your home or belongings. I have never had a crime issue in Rio Rancho. There are only 2 million people in the state so everybody knows someone who had a crime problem and so the stories are amplified a bit and TV news harps on it. Crime has gone down a bit over the last few years.

Awesome info. Thanks, SunGrins. How are the pools in RR? RR Aquatic Center looks decent for lap swimming, but wonder if there are outdoor pools available in summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 03:45 PM

8 posts, read 833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Southern Oregon - Grants Pass, etc
Grand Junction, CO
Boise, ID

Walla Walla, WA

Another vote for Grand Junction and Boise. I used to live in the Tri-Cities and visited Walla Walla quite often; I did not care for the town or the folks living there.

I grew up in the Willamette Valley. I do not know much about Grants Pass, but I would look at Cottage Grove.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:08 PM

4,144 posts, read 1,171,691 times
We live in Oakridge, Oregon, about 40 miles east of Eugene. Really great weather, not too hot or cold. Right now for example it's 88. Warm, but low humidity, so it's pretty comfortable. We are completely out of the fog belt in the Willamette valley. 100 miles to the ocean, but lots of lakes within a few miles. About 30 miles to a major ski area. We love it!

Old 08-14-2019, 04:31 PM

9,372 posts, read 8,428,447 times
Have you looked at the southeast?

Jekyll Island, St. Simon's Island, Georgetown, Savannah, Charleston, etc.

Brutal summers but the mild winters make up for it. Boating year round, outdoor activities all year long.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:32 PM

8,469 posts, read 9,231,562 times
Ya know, people can tell where they think you should move, but it boils down to where a spot feels right forYOU. We found that spot for us. Not in a low tax state ( except property taxes are low). Seems housing is about the same as for you. But for us, we love it here and wouldn’t dream of living anywhere else

Old 08-14-2019, 04:55 PM

182 posts, read 111,690 times
If you want to head east check into Asheville, NC.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:01 PM

3,933 posts, read 1,538,064 times
"... I'm asking for help in coming up with a list for that purpose."

well, we wanted Superb Medical Care within 90 minutes.
whether by car, ambulance, helicopter, whatever.
obviously, our list would not work for you.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:02 PM

8,469 posts, read 9,231,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"... I'm asking for help in coming up with a list for that purpose."

well, we wanted Superb Medical Care within 90 minutes.
whether by car, ambulance, helicopter, whatever.
obviously, our list would not work for you.
Wow, you are easy. Where we live by car 20 minutes to our above average regional hospital. In a rural area. Want Stanford or UC Davis, the best of the best? By helicopter under 90 minutes. Living in eastern CA has its perks

Old 08-14-2019, 07:34 PM

9,623 posts, read 6,377,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Have you looked at the southeast?

Jekyll Island, St. Simon's Island, Georgetown, Savannah, Charleston, etc.

Brutal summers but the mild winters make up for it. Boating year round, outdoor activities all year long.

Can you say hurricanes?

Old 08-14-2019, 07:59 PM

9,372 posts, read 8,428,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Can you say hurricanes?
Can you say over 125,000,000 people in the US alone manage to live in areas where hurricanes happen?

That doesn't even take into account all the people in the rest of the world who live in hurricane prone areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or