U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 09:40 PM

6,878 posts, read 3,806,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammythebull View Post
Awesome info. Thanks, SunGrins. How are the pools in RR? RR Aquatic Center looks decent for lap swimming, but wonder if there are outdoor pools available in summer.
I have a friend with an outdoor pool and there are many home pools in the area. My friend is pretty handy and rigged up a solar heating system. With cool desert nights, I assume pools can stay a bit cool. I'm not a pool person so I haven't explored it much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 10:03 PM

6,878 posts, read 3,806,893 times
Somebody mentioned Grand Junction.
I really liked the place and we almost moved there even to the point of house hunting. My wife finally vetoed the move. She felt it was too touristy. There also seemed to be some sort of water access issue with the houses we looked at. I don't remember the details but it was confusing at the time. We decided on New Mexico instead. I go to Grand Junction now on fishing trips on Grand Mesa and I think the town has improved over the last ten years. It has a warm micro-climate that supports the local orchards and vineyards.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:49 AM

690 posts, read 184,989 times
Default Gainesville, Florida

Gainesville, Florida, a university town (University of Florida).

1. no state income tax
2. high hospital bed per capita (incl a VA Hospital and a university research hospital)
3. moderate climate (no snow, no hurricanes)
4, beautiful natural surroundings (springs, rivers, lakes, forests, parks, rolling hills, and a prairie)
5. many cultural activities (theater, opera, symphony, festivals, etc)
6. cheap local transportation
7. quick access to interstate highway (I-75)
8. cheap housing - many with acreage, lake front or river front, or with wooded areas.
9. regional airport
10. locally sourced produce
11. youthful 'vibe' due to university
12. nationally-recognized university sports teams (football, baseball, basketball, etc)
13. only a few hours drive to ocean in either direction (East/West)
14. many natural recreation areas for golfing, hunting and fishing
15. many continuing education options for seniors

Old 08-15-2019, 07:13 AM

2,051 posts, read 2,453,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Gainesville, Florida, a university town (University of Florida).

1. no state income tax
2. high hospital bed per capita (incl a VA Hospital and a university research hospital)
3. moderate climate (no snow, no hurricanes)
4, beautiful natural surroundings (springs, rivers, lakes, forests, parks, rolling hills, and a prairie)
5. many cultural activities (theater, opera, symphony, festivals, etc)
6. cheap local transportation
7. quick access to interstate highway (I-75)
8. cheap housing - many with acreage, lake front or river front, or with wooded areas.
9. regional airport
10. locally sourced produce
11. youthful 'vibe' due to university
12. nationally-recognized university sports teams (football, baseball, basketball, etc)
13. only a few hours drive to ocean in either direction (East/West)
14. many natural recreation areas for golfing, hunting and fishing
15. many continuing education options for seniors
Gainesville is an interesting choice. What do you think about crime though?

Old 08-15-2019, 07:24 AM

9 posts, read 2,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Gainesville is an interesting choice. What do you think about crime though?

Gainesville was on my list also. East coast seems to me a bit of a crap shoot, as others have pointed out I don't particularly care for weather extreme (hurricane) potential. I worry about over the course of the next xxxx years, the whole state of FL becoming an island. I've heard both positive and negative about Grand Junction -- heard it was decent -- close to UT parks, etc., and also heard it was isolated and had crime issues. Might be worth a visit.

Will also add Oakridge, OR to list, as well as N CA. Figured taxes and housing costs/COL in both of those states were minuses, but the pluses might outweigh.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:07 AM

1,648 posts, read 1,339,098 times
Asheville has true four seasons- insulated from hurricanes and large tornadoes. Except the rain bands. Real estate has skyrocketed. But there are small towns and areas in the country with more affordable homes. Our private water system for twelve homes, gives us inexpensive, pristine, and plentiful water.

We are close to the Blueridge Parkway up on a mountain above Asheville, and near a watershed. It is breathtakingly beautiful.

Lots of outdoor activities, music and entertainment, a great OLLI. More great restaurants than you could frequent in a year. Lots of retirees and meet up groups.

We have been happy with our medical care, when my husband broke his leg, it took the ambulance only 5 minutes to get to our house. Twelve minutes to the hospital, driving normally with no sirens.

We love it here- but I’m sure you could tell.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:44 AM

17,562 posts, read 21,444,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
10 years is a long time. What you want now, you may not want then....I would wait a few years.
I second the motion. Way too early to be looking and things could change for the worst in the places you choose now.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:55 AM

1,550 posts, read 715,711 times
If one of your aims is to avoid extreme weather.... well, southern Arizona gets really hot.

Washington state might be an option -- mild temperatures year round on the western ("wet") side,
(but lots of winter drizzle), more temperature variation (but less rain) on the eastern ("dry") side.
Spectacular landscapes. And no state income tax.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:09 AM

24,121 posts, read 17,949,981 times
I'd also consider western NC. Great year-round climate at elevation.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:14 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,688,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Have you looked at the southeast?

Jekyll Island, St. Simon's Island, Georgetown, Savannah, Charleston, etc.

Brutal summers but the mild winters make up for it. Boating year round, outdoor activities all year long.
I was going to ask sammy the bull if they were fixated on the SW, and if they had considered the SE.

To me, the SW, even in the higher elevs can be just as brutal summers as SE, which may be why OP is fixated on SW.

OP mentions $3-400k fir housing, in some areas close to major Cities in SE that can buy you a mansion.
Housing in SE CAN be cheap. Thst is not to say that everwhere SE is cheap, especially the major cities.

We settled on one retirement locale, but then found 3 more. We nixed one of the 4 as it just doesn't offer what we will need in retirement. So that leaves 3, but we keep coming back to tte first one. They are spread all across the southern half of the USA.

Good luck to all who seek the *perfect* retirement locale.

No place is perfect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or