U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 12:02 PM

24,111 posts, read 17,949,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
The wife and I spent 7 years taking one or two road trips each year to find a state and City with a moderate climate, good and nearby medical system, City with some culture, community activities, either mountains or water views from our house, a half acre of property, low taxes, affordable real estate, in an area close to other areas of interest and a must have for lots of outdoor activities. We thought it was going to be Asheville, NC until we started looking at houses!

As it turned out we found all that we we looking for and are very happy in S.W. Virginia!
Southwest VA west of I-81 has almost nothing in the way of medical care. Carilion is also not UVA level medical care. If medical care is an issue, southwest VA doesn't have much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 11:52 AM

9,407 posts, read 8,454,855 times
[quote=Rumann Koch;55939845]Gainesville, Florida, a university town (University of Florida).

3. moderate climate (no snow, no hurricanes)

Gainesville is anything but a moderate climate. Every hurricane that hits Florida hits Gainesville and summer is ten months long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Asheville has true four seasons- insulated from hurricanes and large tornadoes. Except the rain bands.l.
Unless it snows, Asheville is miserable November through March. Cold, miserable rain. Everything is gray and dead.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:54 AM

9,407 posts, read 8,454,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Southwest VA west of I-81 has almost nothing in the way of medical care. Carilion is also not UVA level medical care. If medical care is an issue, southwest VA doesn't have much.
Roanoke, Charlottesville, and Lynchburg are all choices.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:01 PM

1,648 posts, read 1,339,098 times
Default LOl

[quote=blueherons;55981189]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Gainesville, Florida, a university town (University of Florida).

3. moderate climate (no snow, no hurricanes)

Gainesville is anything but a moderate climate. Every hurricane that hits Florida hits Gainesville and summer is ten months long.

Unless it snows, Asheville is miserable November through March. Cold, miserable rain. Everything is gray and dead.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Not miserable at all to me I love the winter in Asheville. Hate heat.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:34 PM

5,054 posts, read 3,534,213 times
I, on the other hand, hate snow, ice and winter winds.

A few things I hadn't even considered which came up in my search. Tennessee was number 1 on the list until I talked to forum folks who said it was a high allergy state. As much as I hated to exclude it, I had to. I still plan on visiting in a low allergy time.

I hadn't even thought of my arthritis as I had been told there was nothing that could be done about it.

Arizona was not even on the list. But, I visited and right away noticed I could breathe better. That was a first. Then the beauty of the sunsets and the majestic mountains drew me in.

I decided to give it a try and although I did not know it at the time, the sun has reduced my arthritis pain and I often forget I even have it. Allergies are at certain times but nothing that can't be handled by over the counter medication, and that's not very often.

Yes, it does get hot but the mornings are cool and you can get things like shopping done then. Where I came from, Minnesota, when a snowstorm or blizzard came you only went out if you absolutely had to, mostly farmers who had animals to feed or the people that ran the snowplows, gas stations, etc.

If you can get around the few months of heat, the rest of the year is beautiful.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:01 PM

Default A bit of contrast

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I, on the other hand, hate snow, ice and winter winds.

A few things I hadn't even considered which came up in my search. Tennessee was number 1 on the list until I talked to forum folks who said it was a high allergy state. As much as I hated to exclude it, I had to. I still plan on visiting in a low allergy time.

I hadn't even thought of my arthritis as I had been told there was nothing that could be done about it.

Arizona was not even on the list. But, I visited and right away noticed I could breathe better. That was a first. Then the beauty of the sunsets and the majestic mountains drew me in.

I decided to give it a try and although I did not know it at the time, the sun has reduced my arthritis pain and I often forget I even have it. Allergies are at certain times but nothing that can't be handled by over the counter medication, and that's not very often.

Yes, it does get hot but the mornings are cool and you can get things like shopping done then. Where I came from, Minnesota, when a snowstorm or blizzard came you only went out if you absolutely had to, mostly farmers who had animals to feed or the people that ran the snowplows, gas stations, etc.

If you can get around the few months of heat, the rest of the year is beautiful.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...08-20-19-09.03

Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM

5,054 posts, read 3,534,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Duluth is one of the coldest areas because of Lake Superior. Beautiful place but not representative of the state. I lived in Minneapolis during my working life and near Fergus Falls upon retirement. They're all cold, just not as cold as Duluth.

Old Today, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Duluth is one of the coldest areas because of Lake Superior. Beautiful place but not representative of the state. I lived in Minneapolis during my working life and near Fergus Falls upon retirement. They're all cold, just not as cold as Duluth.
The chart was in a thread in the city-data made for a person moving from Duluth to Asheville. I wasnít sure where you lived before. But it does show that there can be places that have four seasons without the extremes of the far north or south.

Preferences are personal and that is a good thing. Iím glad that you found a place that works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or