U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Retiremner Friendly City
Birmingham, AL 3 13.64%
Little Rock, AR 3 13.64%
Tucson, AZ 6 27.27%
Bakersfield, CA 1 4.55%
Jacksonville, FL 6 27.27%
Rockford, IL 0 0%
Indianapolis, IN 2 9.09%
Wichita, KS 2 9.09%
Shreveport, LA 2 9.09%
Grand Rapids, MI 1 4.55%
Kansas City, MO 1 4.55%
Jackson, MS 2 9.09%
Lincoln, NE 1 4.55%
Cincinnati, OH 1 4.55%
Tulsa, OK 1 4.55%
Sioux Falls, SD 1 4.55%
Nashville-Davidson, TN 7 31.82%
San Antonio, TX 3 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 07:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,850 posts, read 40,306,325 times

Advertisements

I would add tri-cities TN (NE TN) and Tri-cities WA (SE WA) to your list (Probably each under 150k summed up), but will be close. And each share resources for seniors, have colleges, varied economy, HC, moderate climate, and no income taxes)

What is 'affordable'?
Housing
Food
Utilities
Taxes
HC
Transportation?

All need to be considered.

An interesting consideration is stability / appreciation of Real Estate (if you plan to buy a home).

If Home Equity tanks on a 'paid off home' and you need to sell (for medical / moving / estate reasons) You (heirs / charity) may be STUCK for 10+ yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 08:02 PM

26,696 posts, read 42,606,105 times
I am not sure how anyone can say Nashville. Davidson County, Tennessee has the highest sales tax in the country (9.25%) and taxes groceries (don’t get me started on how despicable I think taxing a necessity is). The sales tax rate is even higher (12%) when you make larger purchases over $1,600. They also have a tax on interest and dividends. That doesn’t sound like a good retirement option to me.

Of the cities on this list, I think Jacksonville, FL is best. It is home to a Mayo Clinic which I believe is the best hospital in the state and one of the tops in the country. None of the other cities on the list have as highly rated hospital. Too often, retirees do not consider medical care when moving and are surprised later to learn how poor medical care is in the inexpensive area they moved to. By then it is too late. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 08-14-2019 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Added Jacksonville

Old 08-14-2019, 08:35 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,613,435 times
If your goal is to retire in California, Bakersfield is one of the cheaper locations. It has a State University, a Jr. College, good public schools in the Northwest and Southwest, and plenty of restaurants and shopping. On the downside, it's hot in the summer (100+ for days) and has some cold spells in the winter. (Snow is extremely rare.) Unfortunately it has really poor air quality usually tying Los Angeles and Houston for worst in the country. It also has a growing gang problem mostly in central, northeast and southeast parts of the city. If you live in one of the nicer parts of town you wouldn't even know about this unless you watched the news on TV. The coast or Los Angeles is about a two hour drive and snow skiing is a bit further.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:44 PM

12,182 posts, read 5,271,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Orange County, CA: Perfect weather, lots of activities, geographic variety, beaches, mountains, bike paths, tennis, golf, medical facilities, cultural variety, every type of restaurant known to man.
I thought this was about being on a budget. Unless you own your home in Orange County without a mortgage or have owned it long enough to where your house payment is what it was 20 years ago, Orange County is out, way out regardless of how lovely it is and what a great climate it has and all the other nice things you mention.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:59 PM

1,009 posts, read 256,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure how anyone can say Nashville. Davidson County, Tennessee has the highest sales tax in the country (9.25%) and taxes groceries (donít get me started on how despicable I think taxing a necessity is). The sales tax rate is even higher (12%) when you make larger purchases over $1,600. They also have a tax on interest and dividends. That doesnít sound like a good retirement option to me.

Of the cities on this list, I think Jacksonville, FL is best. It is home to a Mayo Clinic which I believe is the best hospital in the state and one of the tops in the country. None of the other cities on the list have as highly rated hospital. Too often, retirees do not consider medical care when moving and are surprised later to learn how poor medical care is in the inexpensive area they moved to. By then it is too late. Jay
And Florida has no income tax.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:20 PM
JRR

3,756 posts, read 2,266,973 times
Quote:
I am not sure how anyone can say Nashville. Davidson County, Tennessee has the highest sales tax in the country (9.25%) and taxes groceries (don’t get me started on how despicable I think taxing a necessity is). The sales tax rate is even higher (12%) when you make larger purchases over $1,600. They also have a tax on interest and dividends. That doesn’t sound like a good retirement option to me.

Moving to Tennessee from Florida, I'm saving abut $120 per month on auto/homeowners/umbrella/medicare supplements insurance and our utilities. That pays a lot toward the increased sales tax over Florida. The Hall Tax on dividends and interest doesn't apply to retirement accounts. It is 2% this year, 1 % next year and will be gone in 2021. First $2500 for couples is exempt, so it really isn't much of an issue for a lot of people. We had to pay $19 for 2018

Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM

7,498 posts, read 3,115,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Orange County, CA: Perfect weather, lots of activities, geographic variety, beaches, mountains, bike paths, tennis, golf, medical facilities, cultural variety, every type of restaurant known to man.
"Orange County" isn't one city...at least not yet. They're working on it...almost no open ground left. My grandparents moved there when it was mostly Irvine Ranch pasture. Basque sheep herders with flocks blocked the Crown Valley Parkway (which was a 2 lane dead end road). Roadrunners standing on future sidewalk corners. Eucalyptus windbreaks and orange groves. The scent of the blossoms would just about overwhelm you. Everyone moving there to get away from the "city" headaches just brought them all with them. What it's become is unmentionable.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 12:47 AM..

Old Yesterday, 03:57 AM

237 posts, read 128,707 times
Quote:
I am not sure how anyone can say Nashville. Davidson County, Tennessee has the highest sales tax in the country (9.25%) and taxes groceries (donít get me started on how despicable I think taxing a necessity is). The sales tax rate is even higher (12%) when you make larger purchases over $1,600. They also have a tax on interest and dividends. That doesnít sound like a good retirement option to me.

TN phasing out hall tax by Dec 2020 and they do not tax pensions or social security. I have no idea what you are referring to 12% on purchases over $1600. Do you have a link with that information as that has not been our experience. Tennessee is by far one of the most retirement friendly tax wise.

I can only tell the OP to research every state/city and compare taxes, utilities, insurances, medical care, weather etc. Create a spreadsheet for each area you are interested with every category you can think of.

As with any decision, it boils down to what is important to you. Good Luck!

Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM

688 posts, read 181,858 times
Thumbs up Gainesville, Florida

My vote is for Gainesville, Florida, a university town (University of Florida).

1. no state income tax
2. high hospital bed per capita (incl a VA Hospital and a university research hospital)
3. moderate climate (no snow, no hurricanes)
4, beautiful natural surroundings (springs, rivers, lakes, forests, parks, rolling hills, and a prairie)
5. many cultural activities (theater, opera, symphony, festivals, etc)
6. cheap local transportation
7. quick access to interstate highway (I-75)
8. cheap housing - many with acreage, lake front or river front, or with wooded areas.
9. regional airport
10. locally sourced produce
11. youthful 'vibe' due to university
12. nationally-recognized university sports teams (football, baseball, basketball, etc)
13. only a few hours drive to ocean in either direction (East/West)
14. many natural recreation areas for golfing, hunting and fishing
15. many continuing education options for seniors

Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,080,332 times
Florida is just too hot for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement