Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Retiremner Friendly City
Birmingham, AL 3 10.71%
Little Rock, AR 3 10.71%
Tucson, AZ 6 21.43%
Bakersfield, CA 1 3.57%
Jacksonville, FL 7 25.00%
Rockford, IL 0 0%
Indianapolis, IN 3 10.71%
Wichita, KS 2 7.14%
Shreveport, LA 3 10.71%
Grand Rapids, MI 1 3.57%
Kansas City, MO 1 3.57%
Jackson, MS 2 7.14%
Lincoln, NE 1 3.57%
Cincinnati, OH 1 3.57%
Tulsa, OK 1 3.57%
Sioux Falls, SD 2 7.14%
Nashville-Davidson, TN 7 25.00%
San Antonio, TX 5 17.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:32 PM

8,723 posts, read 4,991,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
No Carolina`s in the poll? That is where we will be headed.
To the poster that reped me with.....I would reconsider that. Would you care to elaborate on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 12:58 PM

5,240 posts, read 3,587,867 times
Unless I'm mistaken Tucson is the only "Blue" city listed, so not so fair a choice culturally, it's like the magician's trick of "forcing" a card onto an unsuspecting participant. And Bakersfield CA is the only other one that isn't in the midwest or southeast.
I'll vote Tucson.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:22 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,098,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
What major city (population over 150000) with a cost of living index below 90 is best suited for retiring Americans without substantial savings?
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Tucson, AZ
  • Bakersfield, CA
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Rockford, IL [/SIZE]
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Wichita, KS
  • Shreveport, LA
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Jackson, MS
  • Lincoln, NE
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Sioux Falls, SD
  • Nashville-Davidson, TN
  • San Antonio, TX
I checked and none are on the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:18 PM

7,754 posts, read 6,334,569 times
"None of the above" I have lived in Florida for a total of 32 years, 1 year in Jacksonville was enough.

Tucson is the last place I would go in Arizona. When Phoenix is too warm, the high country is pleasant.

Anyplace that doesn't have palm trees is too far north.

San Antonio is OK to visit, but not home.

We have chosen to be on the Gulf of Mexico and will not be moving.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:21 PM

42,661 posts, read 17,872,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
To the poster that reped me with.....I would reconsider that. Would you care to elaborate on that.
I just relocated to SC.

I'm actually glad it's not on the list. Let the secrets stay secret
FWIW I've met many who fled up north, particularly NJ and have relocated here.

IMO SC is very tax friendly for retirees.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:49 PM

1,074 posts, read 637,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
What major city (population over 150000) with a cost of living index below 90 is best suited for retiring Americans without substantial savings?
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Tucson, AZ
  • Bakersfield, CA
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Rockford, IL [/SIZE]
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Wichita, KS
  • Shreveport, LA
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Jackson, MS
  • Lincoln, NE
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Sioux Falls, SD
  • Nashville-Davidson, TN
  • San Antonio, TX
I would choose Grand Junction CO. At present, it is not over 150k, and I believe that combining all the cities in the area is only about 100k population. However, two major players have come to town recently, and with them, more flights, etc, so the place is about to take a serious uptick.
If you're a sports person, the college is trying to go D1 (they should be now, but do not have the room to expand their football stadium) and they have the AA or AAA team for the CO Rockies.

I love it there!

Old 08-16-2019, 05:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,877,650 times
We stayed in the Tucson area for 3 winters. COL was generally low, crime wasn't bad, especially outside the city, health care was excellent. We might have stayed, but we don't like the long hot summer, and find the area kind of boring.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:14 PM

17,158 posts, read 56,898,950 times
Really depends on what kind of climate you want, and how well you can adapt to each area. There is no "mathematical" answer to your question, it depends on what you like.

Only a few of your proposed cities would present me with an even acceptable climate - probably Tuscon is the only one *for me* on your list because I hate Midwestern weather, I strongly prefer a dry, Western type climate. Bakersfield would work if it was not in Cali. But, that's just me. Every area of the country has its charms, although some of them are only charming certain times of the year.

Cost of living will vary with people's preferences and lifestyle. Take Mississippi - back when I lived there, they taxed new cars (tabs) pretty heavily, but if you wanted to own 40 or more acres of forest land, the property taxes were quite low. And that's just one aspect of one state's tax structure.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 08-16-2019 at 06:22 PM..

Old 08-16-2019, 06:16 PM

17,158 posts, read 56,898,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Why wouldn’t you pick a blue state where you can get elderly housing, all the services, and good public transportation?

Not wanting the high taxes, not wanting various restrictive laws particularly about guns, in general valuing freedom and being left alone over being taken care of.

Wanting to be a wolf, not a dog.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:18 PM

34,801 posts, read 56,687,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's a good chart for the average working person, but in retirement your tax liabilities change. There are many perks given by some states to seniors that change the order shown on the chart.
For example, some states give significant tax savings on retirement income, pensions and some also give seniors homestead status on their homes reducing the property tax burden.
For some people, moving to a state just because it doesn't have a state income tax is not always the wisest move when you take everything else into account.
That is a very good point. Many states exempt up to a certain amount of retirement income and only tax higher income retirees. Also note that the chart referenced just gives total tax burden but does not take into account median income or real disposable income which is very low in Tennessee, so of course their tax burden is low. Jay

https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/DkNFP/1/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement