U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 06:53 AM

47 posts, read 7,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Why not go back as a contractor - I know a few who did that - get retire pay plus full salary. Most contractor companies will take someone on with guaranteed position. Contractor can do most everything except inherently government decisions/actions.

This. 100%. Most agencies have Title II Support Services contractors on board. Find out who they are and talk to them. Many welcome ex-federal employees as they already have security clearances and know what to do.

I always thought the rehired annuitant program was a reward program for "good old boys". I never supported it as it takes away from a younger employee, namely a promotion opportunity. Also, I always thought federal managers using the program were shirking their responsibility in making sure they had adequate staff and upcoming employees were trained properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 08:55 AM

2,623 posts, read 5,350,839 times
I am retired. I do some consulting for, if I am honest about calculating the effort, less than I earned when working.

I do it because the work is interesting, keeps me intellectually active, and makes for a gradual transition.

In OP's case it's very simple: do it if the work is interesting enough given the net pay. Otherwise frame the "flattering" offer letter and play golf.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:40 AM

86 posts, read 36,393 times
Iíve been retired from the VA system for exactly 2 years after being there 37 years. Nothing short of being absolutely destitute could convince me to take a job there again. Done. And done. I do understand needing the finances, and in that case I guess I would not hesitate. But at this stage in my life that is the only thing that would ever induce me to return.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:41 PM

3,767 posts, read 958,199 times
Retired FTE back to FTE yes they'll dock your pension. They don't WANT it to be a "raw deal" for you to come back and double dip. This won't happen as a contractor, and shouldn't matter since you state you already receive benefits.

Is this an option?

Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

207 posts, read 244,707 times
Thanks so much to all that replied and shared your personal experiences or insights on this topic. After giving it much consideration I've decided to decline the opportunity to return to the federal work force as a retired annuitant. I'm quite happy in retirement and the allure of returning to the federal workforce isn't worth sacrificing my freedom and time.

Working as a contractor isn't currently a possibility with this agency in my current location. There are dozens of contractor opportunities for me overseas or in the Beltway but that would mean relocating. I have no desire to relocate for employment at this time. I'm single, have a dog, a cat and a home in an area that appeals to me. After forty-two years of military deployments, government TDY's and at least a dozen "permanent" moves to new duty assignments I've no desire to subject myself to another move unless that is to the Ozarks or Smoky Mountains. I've been doing some consulting on the side and have remained quite busy in retirement without being committed to a forty hour workweek. The longer I'm retired the less appealing returning to work becomes. I'm finally free to do as I please when I want to. You can't ask for much more than that.

Thanks again for you input, observations and thoughts!

Irish

Last edited by irishcopper; Yesterday at 08:53 AM..

Old Today, 05:00 AM

2,985 posts, read 3,992,743 times
I have a good friend who retired and came back as a RA. He is on his second go. We have lost a tremendous amount of talent due to the imbalance and gap of the youngsters and old timers such as myself.

He is truly an asset in his position working with the younger hires and enjoys it immensely.

His situation is that he is single and during his few years of retirement he remodeled his house fully and continued traveling as he had throughout his career. He was looking for something fulfilling and when the they called and invited him back he jumped.

I do know as far as our command we offer 2080 hour terms. Either doing it part time over two years or all at once for one year. I did not inquire about how he is getting paid as far as deductions. I just figured he was making more than he was before he retired as they were not taking out for his pension and health benefits.

Now honestly I would say some are trying to come back to get on the gravy train, but a few others are actually contributing to help alleviate the brain drain we are in the midst of.

Me, while I love my job and those I work with, I am more than ready to retire and I will NOT return.

Old Today, 08:15 AM

207 posts, read 244,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I have a good friend who retired and came back as a RA. He is on his second go. We have lost a tremendous amount of talent due to the imbalance and gap of the youngsters and old timers such as myself.

He is truly an asset in his position working with the younger hires and enjoys it immensely.

His situation is that he is single and during his few years of retirement he remodeled his house fully and continued traveling as he had throughout his career. He was looking for something fulfilling and when the they called and invited him back he jumped.

I do know as far as our command we offer 2080 hour terms. Either doing it part time over two years or all at once for one year. I did not inquire about how he is getting paid as far as deductions. I just figured he was making more than he was before he retired as they were not taking out for his pension and health benefits.

Now honestly I would say some are trying to come back to get on the gravy train, but a few others are actually contributing to help alleviate the brain drain we are in the midst of.

Me, while I love my job and those I work with, I am more than ready to retire and I will NOT return.

I was asked to return because of a specific skill set that I had acquired after many years on the job. While it was a different agency I knew nearly everyone of the people that I'd have been working with. After much deliberation I determined that I enjoy being retired much more than the thought of going back to work for the government. 42 years was enough and I have no regrets. Now I have the time to enjoy my home, go on long hikes with my dog, engage in creative pursuits like painting, herb gardening and writing, do yoga and exercise, go to the range because I want to and not because I have to, travel, hang out with friends, work in my garden, read good books, build a rat rod, do volunteer work for a local independent radio station and whatever I care to do. It's all good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement