U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM

22,768 posts, read 11,743,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Wow I’d never have guessed you were talking about the Philippines! I thought they only targeted middle eastern countries with travel bans. I work with a lot of people from the Philippines and they go over at least once a year for 3-4 weeks, but they never talk about their relatives not being able to do the same. Very sad state we are in.

They all appear to be quite close to their families despite the distance.
It’s not impossible but extremely difficult my niece was denied a visa because she didn’t have enough financial or family ties to ensure she would come back to the Philippines.

There is not an outright travel ban but it sure seems close from my personal experience.

Last edited by whogo; Yesterday at 10:37 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM

6,966 posts, read 3,874,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
You picked a place that is 10x more expensive because you thought you wouldn't fit in???

Ha!!!!

If Indonesia is the last place on the planet to retire comfortably by the time I'm that age and I'm not a Muslim do you think that's going to stop me from moving there and stretching my dollar 10x? Hell to the no! I'm going!
Fitting in is very important, esp for childless people. Friends are as important, maybe more important, than family at a certain age. If you live in a young community, you won't really fit in, except superficially. You won't have any friends. Sitting alone at home may not lead to happiness, even if you're saving money.

Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM

490 posts, read 437,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
The ban is because overstay their visa 40% of the time.
https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2...isas-filipinos
Wrong quote. The article refers to work-related H2-A/B visas for temporary seasonal workers in agriculture and non-agriculture sector. Whogo was talking about visiting family members. It is possible that the Philipino visitors also overstay but none of that is suggested or implied in the quoted article.

Old Today, 05:40 AM

4,482 posts, read 2,688,468 times
Quote:
You picked a place that is 10x more expensive because you thought you wouldn't fit in???

Ha!!!!

If Indonesia is the last place on the planet to retire comfortably by the time I'm that age and I'm not a Muslim do you think that's going to stop me from moving there and stretching my dollar 10x? Hell to the no! I'm going!
Hawaii is not 10x more expensive than the US. It is about 10% more expensive than Seattle where we used to live. Besides, why would I want to pinch pennies at this point in my life? I can't take any money with me when I die so I figure spend it all now.

Old Today, 06:05 AM

7,134 posts, read 3,518,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Hawaii is not 10x more expensive than the US. It is about 10% more expensive than Seattle where we used to live. Besides, why would I want to pinch pennies at this point in my life? I can't take any money with me when I die so I figure spend it all now.
100% agree!! Don't get the cheapskate frame of mind at retirement age. Have adopted the attitude, If Not Now, When?!?!

Old Today, 07:51 AM

6,156 posts, read 2,989,620 times
Quote:
Most retirees to Indonesia move to Bail, which isn't Muslim.

Old Today, 08:51 AM

13,845 posts, read 6,602,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Wrong quote. The article refers to work-related H2-A/B visas for temporary seasonal workers in agriculture and non-agriculture sector. Whogo was talking about visiting family members. It is possible that the Philipino visitors also overstay but none of that is suggested or implied in the quoted article.
That’s all I’ve found on the net about this ban. I couldn’t find anything that outright banning it.

Old Today, 09:32 AM

490 posts, read 437,709 times
For all visitor visas (non-immigrant), the visa officers need to make a determination that the person seeking the visa is indeed a likely non-immigrant. And yes - they are tougher in enforcing this assessment in non-first world countries - since well before the explicit push from Trump administration. I suspect it has gotten even tougher to convince them since the new administration.

Old Today, 09:44 AM

3,682 posts, read 1,621,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Sure, i do know a few people who live under $1000 a month in Mexico. One friend helped a family build a home and was given a room for the rest of his life. This allowed him to eat with the family, pay no rent, and the like. But that is not a usual situation.

I would suggest that you take all of these articles with a grain of salt because it might not be quite as cheap as it seems for the lifestyle that YOU want to live.
Our travel budget is not included in the $1,000 a month we live on. But we can save so much due to the low COL here, so we can travel.

We are not in some crummy hot interior town. I'm looking at the waves crashing right now, unobstructed view.

But it also depends if you are including rent/mortgage in your calculations. Our condo is paid for, but we do include the $160 HOA in that $1,000. I agree, $1,000 might be spartan if you are including rent. These condos rent for $800 to $1,000 a month, long-term.

Old Today, 01:43 PM

11,768 posts, read 8,562,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Chicago and México City are equidistant from Houston. You could live in a Rio Grande border town on the Mexico side (from El Paso to Brownsville) and just cross the river to shop in a major city for healthcare and other necessities and consumer goods that are not (widely or cheaply) available in Mexico. Even the Texan side is much cheaper than the major Texas metro areas.
There are plenty of Americans in Mexico on the very northern edge of the Sea of Cortez. Its a quick trip to come over for medical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or