U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:42 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,434,747 times

Advertisements

People speak of security like the US is so safe and secure. Now I realize that I live in a big city (Philly) we just had a incident that made the national news, some career criminal armed to the teeth with weapons, shot at a bunch of cops wounding six. and that was just the stuff that made major headlines.

Sort of the kettle calling the pot black.

I believe Japan and another country just put the US on the list of do not travel places due to the high rate of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:14 AM

3,930 posts, read 4,694,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I believe Japan and another country just put the US on the list of do not travel places due to the high rate of crime.
That's like saying, "Don't go to New York State because the Bronx is pretty dangerous."

The United States is obviously a VERY LARGE country, and for other countries (some the same size as California or smaller) to lump it all in as one complete dangerous place is ridiculous.

Old Today, 06:48 AM

24,037 posts, read 17,878,486 times
The problem with somewhere like that is that I'd need to do a ton of research on it to even get a cursory understanding of it, followed by at least a couple "boots on the ground" scouting trips. I've never been to Mexico. I don't speak Spanish. I have no idea of what laws and regulations might pertain to me on a daily basis. I'd feel much more comfortable going to a country like the UK or Australia where I at least speak the language and have some handle on the culture and customs.

Old Today, 07:51 AM

86 posts, read 35,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The posting you cited is almost totally about veterans. My guess is that most retirees are not veterans, nor are most retirees to foreign countries.
Lol ! True, but veterans are people too. I was relating to the fact that many veterans have retired overseas for the adventure and for the cost savings. How is this different than what the thread is about?

Old Today, 08:10 AM

2,021 posts, read 2,163,344 times
My benchmark is, if you wake up at 2 am with chest pains, who you gonna call?

Old Today, 08:28 AM

768 posts, read 618,929 times
Her story is similar about the typical advantages and disadvantages of living out of the U.S.

What many expats do is arrange or travel once a year back to the states for clothing and hard to find grooming items.

Oh, and maybe get some non-perishable to die-for foods/snacks only found here.
High-cost California with many people living day-today & little to no savings does get old.

Old Today, 08:36 AM

768 posts, read 618,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
That's like saying, "Don't go to New York State because the Bronx is pretty dangerous."

The United States is obviously a VERY LARGE country, and for other countries (some the same size as California or smaller) to lump it all in as one complete dangerous place is ridiculous.
Agreed. Some South American countries get a bad rap. Justifiably so but there's many parts that are absolutely paradise and no hint of crime or chaos. Those honest and pristine parts are getting smaller though.

Old Today, 09:39 AM

450 posts, read 157,675 times
One of the best kept secrets is that some Europeans just get about 850 euros of pension when they retire.
Dominican republic north coast is full of them. there they can live comfortably with that.
also in some town in mexico, even Ecuador. I have met many of them.

Old Today, 09:44 AM

3,679 posts, read 1,612,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
My benchmark is, if you wake up at 2 am with chest pains, who you gonna call?
Ambulance, just like anyone else. Free, too.

Done it.

Old Today, 09:47 AM

3,679 posts, read 1,612,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The problem with somewhere like that is that I'd need to do a ton of research on it to even get a cursory understanding of it, followed by at least a couple "boots on the ground" scouting trips. I've never been to Mexico. I don't speak Spanish. I have no idea of what laws and regulations might pertain to me on a daily basis. I'd feel much more comfortable going to a country like the UK or Australia where I at least speak the language and have some handle on the culture and customs.
Well, sure. Me, too. But in UK or AUS you'll be paying even more than the U.S. Plus, they don't really want you unless you have some rare and desirable skill. Or millions.

We hoped to learn Spanish but it ain't happening at age 60+ for most of us. We do OK.

No hurricanes or floods or tornadoes here on the Rim of Fire, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or