U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 05:58 PM

2,190 posts, read 642,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

90% of Americans are just plain timid and slothful. Their fear and ignorance of other cultures and the fear of other languages is what holds them back. If English was spoken in Mexico, they'd be there, but since it isn't, they're afraid and it's way too much work to learn even a few words of another language.
Not knowing Spanish is a terrible excuse for them. If you're retired you've got all damn day to learn the language! Your brain does NOT stop working at any arbitrary age...It may take longer but you'll adapt by the end of year one as long as you keep an open mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 PM

1,361 posts, read 1,311,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
Interesting article. Liked how Janet said it had a live and let live vibe. That appeals to me a lot.
My first trip to Mexico (mine was to the Yucatan) showed me an aspect of Mexican culture that appeals to me a lot: The fact that life has a slower pace. When we arrived at our hotel, the desk clerk asked us if we had ever been to Mexico before. When we answered "no", he said "Let me explain the concept of Mexican time. For the rest of your stay, the only thing that will be on time is your ride to the airport. All other times are advisory only."

Old 08-16-2019, 07:53 PM

24,498 posts, read 8,590,084 times
I spent many a vacation on probably 5-6 Mexican beaches and had a ball, loved them for vacations but I'm too American and need my friends and family here. Plus, I was fortunate in that my ex dragged me to So. Cal. over 50 yrs ago and felt like I have always been on a vacation.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-16-2019 at 08:02 PM..

Old 08-16-2019, 11:03 PM

4,991 posts, read 7,670,589 times
I’ll do dental work, high quality for 1/4 the expense a few miles across the border where I live, and perhaps some other medical procedures after researching but for now, I can easily afford to stay where I’m at and take advantage of carefully researched options available there for some lifestyle/medical expenses.

Overall the border area can be quite dangerous as is many areas in the country nonetheless filled with great people you want to know and will help you along.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:18 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,464,758 times
To each their own. It is not the sort of culture for me.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:04 AM

3,087 posts, read 1,082,542 times
Well good for her. It works for her it may not work for others. That doesn’t mean is right or wrong.
Just like in America, there are many places in the world where I could see myself living after visiting there and there are others in both US and abroad that would be a hard no for me. But others would be ok with

There is no one size fits all place and that’s good because then we would be packing that place.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:10 AM

13,840 posts, read 6,596,086 times
And we shall never have another thread about boomers with no retirement savings again. We now have a solution. Retire in a cheap country. Actually the thought had crossed my mind, but not to Mexico, another country, but my husband vetoed it.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:42 AM

3,680 posts, read 1,619,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That's further evidence of the stark distinction between retiring in a first-world country, and a "developing" one. The latter, evidently, is done for cost-reduction... and the former, for improved quality of life.

Again I say: the whole point of retiring abroad, is to enjoy more options of culture, amenities or social interaction... rather than to save money on a sack of onions, a hand-woven carpet or a beachfront condo. Prices for most things (other than healthcare or higher education) in America are actually quite low. And the US federal government will demand a donation from your capital-gains, no matter where you happen to reside (unless you renounce US citizenship... not an entirely bizarre option)... so, international adventure does nothing to reduce the expense of taxes.
How can you say what our "point of retiring abroad" is? That's rather high-handed.

Ours was precisely to save money on a beachfront condo. The onions (peeled, no less) are just a bonus!

Maybe prices are low "for most things" in Ohio, but not other parts of the U.S. Property taxes were $4,000 vs $45 here. To name just one. HC $80 vs. $800, or $1,500 or....

Income taxes are a non-issue.

"Again I say"---if one can afford what they prefer in the U.S., by all means stay there.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:22 AM

3,615 posts, read 1,985,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
For me, the issue arose when I read that Mazatlán is in Sinaloa. The Sinaloa Cartel is no joke. I wouldn't want to drive to Culiacan in order to travel by air.
I have a Guatemalan friend who drove all the way from Alaska back home at the end of last summer in a rusty, beat up Toyota pickup.

He was held up for cash by both the Cartel and the Mexican military and swears to never drive through that country again. Not that Guatemala is much better, BTW.

Regarding original story, good for her! Beach life wouldn't be for me, but I can relate to the appeal of living in a tropical climate for cheap.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:42 AM

17,554 posts, read 21,424,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I have a Guatemalan friend who drove all the way from Alaska back home at the end of last summer in a rusty, beat up Toyota pickup.

He was held up for cash by both the Cartel and the Mexican military and swears to never drive through that country again. Not that Guatemala is much better, BTW.

Regarding original story, good for her! Beach life wouldn't be for me, but I can relate to the appeal of living in a tropical climate for cheap.
Do you know how much they pay the police in Mexico? Hardly enough to live on!

And, even with my many experiences in Tijuana, the police like to target Mexican-Americans, and, in some ways, I don't blame them. Some Mexican-American, from San Diego, shows off his new SUV, with chrome wheels, driving down Revolution Avenue. What's the police thinking? Mexico wasn't good enough for him, he goes across the Border, does well, and comes down here to show off? Let's get him! Yes, he made a turn on a green light, but the police are saying he went through a red light! $100 and we'll let you go!
My Mexican roommate came with me to Tijuana, one time, and he was held up by 2 female police officers. These officers have a keen smell, they could smell it, he was living in the U.S. But, thanks to my Spanish, I disarmed them.

I've talked to Mexican-Americans, on the Trolley going from San Ysidro (the Border), and I've heard it enough: I'm not going to go back to Tijuana! Why? They walk into a store, and someone is accused of stealing something, which he didn't. Pay up or go to Jail.

Closer to home, I recall the antipathy Wisconsites had for Minnesotans, because the income level is much higher, particularly in the Twin Cities. I was driving south from Superior, WI, one time and this highway patrol officer followed me for 30 miles, just waiting for me to go over the speed limit. They seem to love targeting Minnesotans and those from Illinois who drive up to northern WI to their summer homes.

Many, many Mexicans do not own cars, given their minimum wage of $5-$10 a day, and even with a beat-up Toyota pick-up, they could "smell" something!

I've driven all over Mexico in rental cars, and I've had to pay a few bribes along the way, but I took it with a grain of salt. They say, never pay a police officer in Mexico more than $20. No biggie! I did get stopped driving out of the Mexico City Airport one time, in a rental car, and at the first stop light, there was a gang that came after me, saying they were police officers, saying I had run a red light. They wanted $80 and I bargained it down to $30. No biggie! If you ever rent a car out of that Airport, be prepared! Or returning it to the Airport! They have eyes for rental cars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or