Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 01:32 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,225,651 times

Advertisements

Not me.

I was fortunate to have had a wonderful career among mostly really good people. The people who were less than stellar as coworkers were too few to matter, and even when they were annoying were mostly at least competent at their jobs. There would have been nothing to be gained by seeking out a tiny number of unpleasant people and stooping to their level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 01:38 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,184,657 times
I went out on a total high note. Like others said, karma and tbh I don't like the way I feel when I express anger at someone. If there is an injustice going on ( someone hurting a child, or animal abuse) then the gloves come off , but I just felt great walking out the door and it felt great for many reasons.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:40 PM

1,550 posts, read 2,769,938 times
I did not. I was quite grateful that those who worked with me and had cause to “tell me off” were gracious enough to let me go out without doing so.

Last edited by nalabama; 08-15-2019 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Spacing

Old 08-15-2019, 01:42 PM

19,504 posts, read 9,037,682 times
Glad to read so many POSITIVE responses!!

I must confess that I would not tell off a boss or co-worker -- my personality is much too non-confrontational for that! -- but I would be tempted to be rude to a few customers on my last day -- I now have a part-time retail job which I mostly love -- IF they were rude to me first.

Anyway, there was a radio show many years ago that featured a "Take This Job and Shove It" segment each Friday in which people could call in and "quit" on the air, and it was quite funny -- but if I remember correctly, they were all younger people.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:47 PM

110 posts, read 76,277 times
For the most part, I enjoyed my career and the folks I worked with, so when it was time to go, I went around the office, shook hands, said goodbyes, and did not look back. A new phase of life just started and I was looking forward to it.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:52 PM

7,274 posts, read 5,243,212 times
I believe burning bridges no matter what may of happened to you as you leave makes you as crappy as the person you are telling off. I find no purpose to do such things - I choose to walk away silently.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:04 PM

30,257 posts, read 16,015,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post

I disagree. People put up with waayyyyy too much poor treatment from employers because they believe in "turning the other cheek" or "not burning bridges." Whatever happened to standing up for yourself and not being weak?

Sometimes not being non-confrontational is a a sign of strength.

I've had my run-ins with bosses over the years. Even, rarely, a patient (worked in the medical profession).

But only in the hope of getting something changed: a procedure, policy, attitude, whatever.

As I'm walking out the door on my last day, too late for any change relevant to me. Gone says as much as anything I could add.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:10 PM

17,674 posts, read 29,584,857 times
I did not.
I just fired my customer of 20 years with zero notice.
Sent email on Sunday and went on vacation the next day.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:49 PM

5,945 posts, read 5,086,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Glad to read so many POSITIVE responses!!

I must confess that I would not tell off a boss or co-worker -- my personality is much too non-confrontational for that! -- but I would be tempted to be rude to a few customers on my last day -- I now have a part-time retail job which I mostly love -- IF they were rude to me first.

Anyway, there was a radio show many years ago that featured a "Take This Job and Shove It" segment each Friday in which people could call in and "quit" on the air, and it was quite funny -- but if I remember correctly, they were all younger people.

You may not recall a song by C&W singer Johnny Paycheck (pretty sure it's Johnny)..... title of song was "Take This Job and Shove It."

The last person I worked for treated me like an imbecile. She told me she had no idea what my job entailed (medical transcription), but she was always complaining about the "numbers." I did tell her that if she wanted to understand why the numbers were what they were, she needed to learn more about my job.

At times she would special assign a particular job to me. I would do the job, then say I'm going to lunch now. She would yell out of her office "did you get that job done?" I told her yes, I did.

Maybe I had had one too many ignorant bosses, but not long after that incident, I told my boss I was retiring. Now. I was about 66-67. But I also knew eye surgery was in my near future.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:56 PM

22,912 posts, read 18,207,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
I disagree. People put up with waayyyyy too much poor treatment from employers because they believe in "turning the other cheek" or "not burning bridges." Whatever happened to standing up for yourself and not being weak?
This isn't being weak. It's not allowing whatever the other person did to you to rent any space in your head. that's control, not surrender. Some people retaliate, others dismiss. Either way, if it is a deliberate act, it's not weakness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement