U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM

7,058 posts, read 1,506,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
You may not recall a song by C&W singer Johnny Paycheck (pretty sure it's Johnny)..... title of song was "Take This Job and Shove It."
Yep, that is what they played as the lead-in to that show!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

18,663 posts, read 20,529,839 times
Iíve been relatively lucky and had good bosses when I worked for someone . The few times when I had bad experiences I simply walked in and quit. Didnít give a reason. I was asked why I quit by other people looking to hire me and I simply said ďI believe that when I donít enjoy a place I work at itís time to leave and find a place where I do like working.

Nothing I hated more than getting up and going to a job I hate. Iím truly blessed that I have a great job and like going to work.

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

7,498 posts, read 3,115,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Glad to read so many POSITIVE responses!!

I must confess that I would not tell off a boss or co-worker -- my personality is much too non-confrontational for that! -- but I would be tempted to be rude to a few customers on my last day -- I now have a part-time retail job which I mostly love -- IF they were rude to me first.

Anyway, there was a radio show many years ago that featured a "Take This Job and Shove It" segment each Friday in which people could call in and "quit" on the air, and it was quite funny -- but if I remember correctly, they were all younger people.
I didn't hate my last job or the majority of people in it, but I was "done" with it all. Sure there were obnoxious people not to miss, but remember this:

You recall that saying about revenge? Living well is the best? As you walk out the door for the last time (hopefully with your pension paid, 401K maturing, and nest egg waiting), take it slowly and make sure you catch the eye of the soon-to-be boss from way down under...they are still being told what to do by some other boss. You are not. I'll bet you a dollar you'll see a glimpse of envy. They might even admire you for it.

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

13,391 posts, read 25,714,995 times
I think indifference and negation is better than getting down and gutter like. Not worth it, although I think being kind is way out of range.

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

8,571 posts, read 12,544,758 times
I pretty much informed them how I felt and blew them off when they wanted to discuss it further with some exec's.

Like what were they going to do to me as I resigned and was retiring.

Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,846 posts, read 40,306,325 times
Better to leave as a WINNER, not a LOSER.

(And that is NOT a Winner of Arguments / last word...), just disappear into the sunset and let the cards fall.

You may be overburdened with disclosing gutter trash on the last day. (One day is not nearly enough!)

Poof, gone.

Here one day, absent the next.

The company / employer / coworkers / snobs will survive

Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM

590 posts, read 167,350 times
I left on a high note and 2 years later was asked to do consulting work for 7 months which I did. Win win.

Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM

4,455 posts, read 2,676,777 times
I would never tell anyone off when leaving a job. You never know if you might need a reference or whatever so why burn bridges? But I never had any conflicts with co-workers or anyone that left me with a burning desire to tell someone off anyway.

Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,136,539 times
I really would have LOVED to, but got some passive aggressive joy from smiling at them and being gracious.........all the while cussing them out in my mind. I knew for some of them, they HAD to come to me and wish me well and thank me. That was priceless for me.
But yes I would have loved to have told them just what I thought.

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

24,457 posts, read 8,564,195 times
I did more than tell anyone off, I filed a age discrimination lawsuit and won a money award. It was good to have a son in law and former bf (attorney) helping me out. That was a rough time in my life and I believe being let go, pushed me into fibromyalgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or