U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 04:38 AM

6,460 posts, read 4,871,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Iíve been relatively lucky and had good bosses when I worked for someone . The few times when I had bad experiences I simply walked in and quit. .........
Having a good boss should not be a matter of luck. When I have interviewed for jobs, I have paid careful attention to the company culture and to the personality of the boss I would be working for. Many people seem to forget that interviewing and selecting a job is a two way street. You do not just try to make a good impression and get an offer. You need to decide if the work environment is what you want. Some times things don't work out and you just need to leave.

Of course, bosses can come and go. For one job, I got a new boss who wanted to bring in someone he had worked with before. I was given a package and asked to leave. For another new boss, I almost left but stuck it out and was able to achieve some level of understanding with the new boss.

It is always best to leave quietly. No one want to hire a troublemaker and that is the rep you are likely to gain if you tell off your boss when you are leaving. Even if you are retiring, you never know.... Telling off your boss or coworkers is just juvenile behavior that accomplishes nothing.

When I retired, I did have an exit interview. I did tell them nicely that I was retiring early because my pay had not kept up with my level of performance or the job requirements. I don't think they understood. I had a specialized job and they just did not understand the salary expectations and supply and demand. They found out quickly when they tried to replace me and found that the pay for my position was insufficient to attract decent candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 06:48 AM

9,913 posts, read 7,189,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I often hear of people who said that they will, or might, do that, but I am just curious how many of you actually did.

It could be a customer, boss, or co-worker (or more than one), but I would like to hear your stories.
There were a couple people I wanted to tell off before I retired, but I decided it was better just to concentrate on celebrating the rest of my life as a retired person, and to be happy I never had to see and deal with them again. Leave THEM to deal with their own messes.

I've heard it said that karma will deal with such people, and those they have wronged need not take any action in retaliation for this to happen. In fact, their "victims" may not even know what ever happened with them. This certainly seemed to be the case with the two people I could have told off but chose to forget their existence instead. I was informed they were both fired for cause about a year or so later.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:56 AM

9,913 posts, read 7,189,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
I have a relative who was fired from her last job before retiring. She had a wonderful manager for several years and then a new manager came along who was an abusive micromanager. The new manager fired her a few months after taking over.

I asked her if she told off her manager, and she said that she didn't. If it were me, I'd let the manager know EXACTLY what I thought of her. There would most likely be plenty of yelling and cursing involved. If it's your last job, so what? It's not like you'll need them for a reference. LOL

I disagree. People put up with waayyyyy too much poor treatment from employers because they believe in "turning the other cheek" or "not burning bridges." Whatever happened to standing up for yourself and not being weak?
IMO one can show plenty of strength and character by not engaging in arguments, shouting matches or even feeling obligated to "tell off" others they feel have mistreatef him/her. In fact, such behavior can resemble more of a schoolyard brawl and can make one look petty and immature.

Whatever happened to the old saw about "living well being the best revenge"?

Old 08-16-2019, 07:45 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,385,896 times
Default Why? Would you do that?

Quote:
I often hear of people who said that they will, or might, do that, but I am just curious how many of you actually did.

It could be a customer, boss, or co-worker (or more than one), but I would like to hear your stories.

In my last of nine jobs I had in my life, in which I was subjected to SLAM tactics and overt age discrimination, I went out with grace, a kind word to all. Why? Mainly because the employees that had to soldier on, just didn't care what mismanagement occurred or how many women a boss forced to sleep with him.

A disaffected employee just shoots himself in the foot. We know what happens to whistle blowers, don't we?

Old 08-16-2019, 07:54 AM

11,169 posts, read 12,635,465 times
Nope. I was always told don't burn your bridges behind you. Anyway, instead of telling my moron supervisors off, I walked out the door knowing I would be paid never to work again.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:09 AM

8,948 posts, read 10,991,768 times
LOL. The though is enticing. I could see a few hand gestures following it, too.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:20 AM

5,385 posts, read 3,730,581 times
Quote:

Had no reason to tell anyone off. I liked my job and company, my pay was decent and to top it off I got an attractive early retirement package at age 57 after 30 years. And they gave me a nice retirement party. The company holds an annual BBQ for employees and retirees. Whats not to like.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:51 PM

314 posts, read 159,133 times
Default ...hey hey hey, goodbye...

Telling someone off is not the way to handle things. Especially at the workplace. Even more so at the time of retirement. It leaves the wrong impression. It makes you look bad. It has the wrong effect on Mr./Ms. Knucklehead. He/She will use your actions to justify himself/herself. And the allies of Mr./Ms. Knucklehead will see you as a pathetic creature to be mocked and laughed at.
Our chief engineer hired me as a technician five years before my retirement (of which I did not have a timeline as of yet - that would come two years later). While he did not abuse me, I saw him take for granted two of our best technicians. And I mean really take for granted (performance awards of a couple hundred dollars while granting eighteen hundred dollar awards to engineers who did not finish projects).
My last day of work, I thanked the chief engineer for hiring me, but made it clear this was not a good bye. He was uncertain how to take that.
While I privately and quietly said good bye to a young technician who was always helping me, I left without a word to anyone else. By this time I had determined that my place of employment was nothing more than a means to making a living.
The couple of jerks I most certainly would not tell them off (which is what they wanted).
I found out later my way of leaving left many wondering what had happened. Better than I could have hoped for.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:17 PM

1,124 posts, read 443,409 times
I have a great reputation at Big Paperclip and assuming I make it to the first quarter of next year, it'll be 35 years for me. I'll probably go a little bit longer and when I leave, it'll be with the same ambition, hopefulness and eagerness that I brought to the job on day 1.

There's no need to tell off anyone. If it had gotten that bad, I would have left years ago. Sure, I had offers along the way but I elected to stay in the area to care for my daughter. I'll leave with a small pension, a smile on my face and a thankful prayer in my heart for all of my blessings.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:04 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,450,198 times
I did, but I was only at the job for 2 months. I found out the HR lady was docking my paycheck for health care, but when I called the insurance company they said that they never put in to have me covered. When I asked her to fix the mistake, she accused me of giving her attitude and making a big deal out of nothing. I literally told her to F herself and stormed out of the office. I donít believe in not burning bridges and ďturning the other cheekĒ when abusive employers are so negligent in disregarding your health and well-being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or