U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 03:08 PM

6,643 posts, read 3,683,265 times

Advertisements

No, I actually recommended my replacement. Young woman in her 20's who worked at the public school part time while going to college. I knew that she was looking for full time employment and was willing to finish her degree at night. They did hire her. Everyone was very satisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 04:39 PM

7,070 posts, read 3,923,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I often hear of people who said that they will, or might, do that, but I am just curious how many of you actually did.

It could be a customer, boss, or co-worker (or more than one), but I would like to hear your stories.
No. I don't know why I would do that. It seems pointless and a bit immature.

Leave with dignity and grace, I say. Besides, an adult voices justifiable grievances when they happen. They don't wait to have a melt down moment years later.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:20 PM

276 posts, read 246,913 times
Quote:
I often hear of people who said that they will, or might, do that, but I am just curious how many of you actually did.

It could be a customer, boss, or co-worker (or more than one), but I would like to hear your stories.
It wasn't retirement; in fact, I was only 21 when I was fired from a large corporation for being 1 minute late in the same month that I was a day late coming back from my honeymoon. (This was due to our generator having to be rebuilt... my honeymoon was to a northwest state to see my Dad, it turned out to be the last time I would ever see him.) I walked through the Human Resource Director's office when he was in the middle of an interview and saw, "I hope you rot in hell!"

I was not then, nor in my 50s now, an outspoken person. The injustice was too much and it just burst out of me with no forethought.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:21 AM

13,102 posts, read 15,547,710 times
No. What would be the point of that? It might feel good in the moment, but you’d leave a lasting bad impression of yourself.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:27 AM

7,000 posts, read 3,835,220 times
My personal fantasy would be tell a couple of people off on their last day as I fired their worthless butts. But I'll never have the position or authority to do that. And so they will just keep rolling along.

Seriously though, when it comes time for my exit interview, I will give an honest, professional assessment, as I've always done. I've never held back from speaking the truth. And, if they are still working here then, I'll include my assessment that X and Y should be fired. Though it finally seems like a couple of executives are cluing in after years, and tens of millions wasted, that a couple of project managers really aren't qualified to shovel snow in the deep south, much less manage multi million dollar projects. For some reason I'll never understand, senior management is always reluctant to fire poor managers, but have no problem dropping good employees in a heartbeat.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:30 PM

284 posts, read 166,303 times
I wish I had but no nerve.

Hear Johnny Paycheck's song "Take This Job and Shove it"

Old 08-17-2019, 06:31 PM

20,207 posts, read 19,208,410 times
Well, one thing, I didn't give them the satisfaction of complying with their stupid wishes. I was school librarian and they "set up" two teachers they wanted to fire by putting them in charge of a double class of middle school students IN the library. (Library--bad acoustics, not set up for teaching, kids sitting at tables all over the room.)

In June the principal came to me and asked me to write up a criticism saying what bad teachers they were. And they were bad teachers. But to put me on the spot like that, also to have made me suffer through 1/2 year with these two teachers and their monsters taking over the entire library, making me pick up the mess of broken chairs and books that they had thrown at each other, the stress of it all...I thought about it and then refused to be their little tattle tale. I resigned gracefully but I wasn't going to be part of their dirty little game.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:10 PM

6,091 posts, read 9,625,697 times
I confess I haven't read this thread.

I was raised to be an "uppity woman". If someone needed telling off, I did it on the spot. No waiting for retirement. I've never regretted it. In fact, I think it likely kept me from being a "me too" survivor.

But then, I had the advantage of parents who made sure I had the logistical ability to never "need this job".

Old 08-19-2019, 11:33 AM

21,573 posts, read 22,198,678 times
my boss was away on PTO when I left so I stopped at a Starbucks on the way in, asked to see the manager and unloaded on her as if she were my boss. I don't think she was that offended and looked as if she hadn't a clue as to what I was telling her what she could do with the TPS Reports that I said I wouldn't be submitting.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:49 AM

16,146 posts, read 20,954,885 times
Quote:

it was my last day and we had a staff meeting at 2 PM. It was one of those days when everybody found something for me to do.

I wrote each task down on my yellow pad and nodded acknowledging each. When the meeting was over I grabbed another donut and left. I knew that those tasks would be reverberating in the system for months. By then each would require immediate action.

They did, it did and I smiled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or