U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 12:24 PM

9,207 posts, read 7,960,127 times

Advertisements

The nastiest confrontation I had was when my company hired a new VP of Marketing/Sales who I reported to. He and I had a history at a prior company. I went from being a star employee to getting crappy reviews from the VP.

The President of our Division asked me to come and talk to him. He asked what was the problem. I basically said we just did not get along and I was looking for a new job. The problem was, he was hired by the Company President and my Div. Pres. had little to nothing to say and admitted he had issues with the guy but there was nothing he could do. I said I understand. He said I can protect you for a while. I said thanks.

The next day the VP called me in his office and asked what I had talked to the Pres. about. I told him it was none of his business. The conversation got nasty. A shouting match ensued and it went downhill fast. He said you are fired. I said you cannot do it. This company has a procedure. He said get out of my office.

I found out later he went to VP of Personnel and div Pres to get me fired. They informed him there was a procedure and it would take a few months.

The next day the VP called me in and said he was starting the dismissal procedure. I said I am going to save us both a lot of work and I will resign within the next 45 days. He balked. I said, do I need to open up some old wounds like your drinking problems. Some around here are beginning to talk about it and you do not need me encouraging the talk. He said 45 days, no more. I said and you leave me alone during that time. He said fine. I left about 30 days later.

I saw the Div Pres at a trade show about 6 months later. He asked if I knew about the VP's drinking problem. I said I knew about it 5 years before. He was what we called a "toot drinker". He would hold up dead drunk for 2-4 days every 3 months or so. Other than that, no other signs. His wife was ill and he told everyone he was staying home to help her. I said I knew, but I knew my situation was untenable and best I left. He said he felt bad but there was nothing he could do. About 6 months later they did fire the VP. I was asked if I wanted to come back. I declined. I had moved on to bigger and better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 10:15 AM

360 posts, read 135,413 times
When I left my last job, it was from a great little company (10-12 employees). The boss/owner was a good friend and I told him and the financial manager that I would be leaving at the end of the year. That was 6-7 months advance notice. I asked my boss if he needed a formal resignation letter and he said "only if you say Take This Job and Shove It" in the letter. I gave him the letter. We still have lunch together occasionally and I saw that he had the letter framed and hanging on his office wall.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:20 AM

1,204 posts, read 786,036 times
i didn't. but i did manage to clear with HR and get out of the building before the boss from hell came to say goodbye to me (i was retiring). a friend said the boss was looking for me later that morning, was told i had left and was a bit miffed i hadn't said goodbye to her. too bad. she was a nasty person. she wasn't invited to my retirement party, either. those two things were enough satisfaction for me.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:43 PM

360 posts, read 135,413 times
My rule is not to burn any bridges on leaving. You never know when you might need a favor.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:57 PM

7,211 posts, read 11,306,461 times
As I did my exit interview with my former employer, I tried to lay out the truth as to why I was leaving in a balanced approach, without sounding like a bitter employee. However, it was just words to them and they really didn't seem interested in the things I had to say, good or not so good.

It's better just to thank them for the employment and wish everyone well. At least you have the knowledge that you'll never have to deal with them as an employee ever again.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:33 PM

6,173 posts, read 9,210,635 times
I didn't but my daughter did when she left her corporate accounting job that made her upset and tearful. One morning she got up early AM, started crying about having to go back again, and her husband told her to just quit. They had scheduled her to watch a video about workplace relationships because some weirdo had complained about her.

She went in, told the boss she was quitting and said "You really need to watch a video on treatment of employees." She got her stuff and walked out.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:48 PM

10,587 posts, read 8,907,917 times
I never "told off", or had a bad word to say about, any employer when I left a job for a new one. It didn't matter who I reported to, or liked, or didn't like. What's the benefit? Except for a feeling of self-justification and personal smugness, there are only down-sides.

The closest I ever came was to set up my immediate supervisor for a fall. As a result, he screwed up on a contract bid (we lost) but senior management could have cared less. I should have been a lot smarter than to try. It would have been much easier to just leave, but it was early in my career. But I learned from it.

My last day of work also wasn't at all dramatic. I liked my boss; she left me alone and wrote great reviews.

Last edited by Frihed89; 08-30-2019 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-01-2019, 12:15 PM

5,063 posts, read 8,877,240 times
Not exactly "told someone off before retirement" but as a result changing company...

I used to work for a major aerospace prime contractor in Southern California. The last assignment being in a Division that has a micro-manager. The issue that came to a head has to do with travel expense reimbursement. Although the company policy is to "encourage" employee use the company-issued credit card as much as possible during travel, it allows provisions for employees to use cash to pay for certain expense items.

On a particular trip, I had lunch but was in a hurry to catch a flight and, unfortunately the waiters were slow, so I just paid cash for my lunch (under $20) and filed the expense report as such. BTW, the company policy also said that no receipt was required if the total meal is under $25.

Well, after I filed the expense report, I got called into the manager's office who questioned why I used cash to pay for lunch? I explained the situation and he responded "how to I know if you are not trying to cheat the company for $20?". I replied "you have to be stupid when I make over $100,000 and tried to cheat the company on $20. If I want to cheat, I would cheat for more than $20. This is an insult to my intelligent". He then said OK then we'll go to HR and let them decide.

To make a long story short, HR is clearly pro-management and just wanted this issue to go away. Unfortunately for them, I have the Company Travel Policy on my side so they had no choice but sided with me. This issue went all the way up on management chain.

A month later, I resigned from the company not because of this issue but because I had an offer from their customer - the US Government.

Many months later, I heard back from an ex-coworker, the corporate sent down a team to do a complete audit of this division's operating policy. The manager crawled back to his buddy's group in a separate division. Soon enough, the corporate shut down the division and the work was transferred to a separate division out-of-State.

It was not my intension on the outcome. But since the micro-manager accused me of trying the cheat company of extra cash out of expense report, it is a matter of personal integrity issue for me. I guess they took it that I resigned from the Company as a symbol of protest how this division is running things differently than the corporate policy and it alarmed the corporation, plus it maybe afraid of being audited by the government if this gets out.

There's no need to "tell somebody off". The best revenge is to live well.

Old Today, 03:13 AM

133 posts, read 54,497 times
I've only read a couple pages of replies and most of the those have been about telling off a bad boss. But depending on the profession, telling off a customer or citizen can have disastrous effects.

As a 911 dispatcher for 32yrs, I and most of my coworkers had occasional fantasies of telling off some troublesome caller on our last day of work. Fortunately, it never happened at any agency that I ever worked for. In fact, we used to warn each other against doing something so stupid that we would end up on 20/20 or Nightline.

However, last week I saw on the news that in Arkansas a dispatcher on her last day of work received a call from a woman who had been trapped in a flash flood in her car. You could hear the terror in the victim's voice as she said that she didn't want to die, and was begging for help to be sent. The dispatcher did find out where the victim was and started help on the way, but then took the time to chastise the victim by saying, "Don't you know you're not supposed to drive through rushing water?", and "Why would you drive into that water?". All the victim could say was that it was dark and she didn't see the water.

I don't know for a fact that the dispatcher did this because it was her last day, but whatever the case, she couldn't have sounded more cold-hearted if she tried.

And worse, the victim died before help could get to her.

Yes, I believe there will be a huge law suit against the agency, and I also believe that the dispatcher is in danger of being held liable if she didn't act within her policies/procedures, (and it sounds to me like she didn't since customer service is included in most policies).

Law suit or not though, this dispatcher is going to have to live the rest of her life knowing that she is the last person the victim cried out to for help as she was dying, and in the last moments of her life the dispatcher chose to chastise her.

Sorry for the long rant, but this story has had me sad and angry ever since I heard it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or