U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 06:42 AM

10,944 posts, read 15,306,625 times

Advertisements

Another vote for: Cera Vie !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 07:41 AM

5,949 posts, read 4,943,621 times
For the face, Olay Regenerist. Hands down. Clinically proven to be better than creams costing hundreds of dollars. To me, the price of around $20 a jar feels high, but it works really well and comes in a couple formulations. The "whipped" formula feels very light and absorbs well. It not only moisturizes but helps with lightening dark spots, etc.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:47 AM

5,949 posts, read 4,943,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

As much as it pleases you to pretend it's all wretched vanity, there are sound medical reasons for keeping skin soft and supple, including warding off bacterial infections.
And who wants to be dry, flaky, and itchy? Water is a necessity, but it won't keep you from drying out in a hot dry climate.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:28 AM

1,844 posts, read 649,336 times
I'm allergic to many things and whatever products I use need to be fragrance free and gentle on sensitive skin as well as effective. Also can't stand any kind of greasy feel. I use two different products:

DML Moisturizing Lotion as a moisturizer for face and neck. No brick and mortar stores in my area sell it, so I buy it on Amazon. I buy the pump top version because it's handier, even though it costs a buck or so more than the flip top bottle. I use it twice a day but because it's non-greasy it could be used more often if I wanted to.

https://www.amazon.com/DML-Moisturiz...-search&sr=8-4

For arms, legs, etc I use Cerave Moisturizing Lotion which is also fragrance free; it's a little heavier but still absorbs quickly. To be honest the only reason I don't use the DML Lotion everywhere is the cost. The DML is usually around $17 for the 16-oz bottle and if I used it on arms, hands, legs and feet as well, that bottle wouldn't last very long.

It does bother me a bit that the Cerave has two parabens in it (methylparaben and propylparaben) whereas the DML Lotion does not contain any. That's one of the reasons why I don't use the Cerave on my face and neck.

I tried the Cerave cream formulation but it's way too greasy for me.

I was tipped off to the DML Moisturizing lotion by my dermatologist. He used to recommend Cerave but switched to recommending DML when parabens became a concern. The ideal would be to use a no-parabens moisturizer everywhere but if that's not feasible then at least on face and neck for sure.

There aren't that many skin products that are actually fragrance-free (no scent.) Most companies have jumped on the aromatherapy/botanical scents bandwagon which is hellish for people like me who react to anything with even the slightest perfume-y smell. If they ever stop making Clorox Hand Sanitizer Spray (the ONLY one on the market that has absolutely NO fragrance in it) I will be up the creek without a paddle!

https://www.amazon.com/Clorox-02174-.../dp/B07C67KGGD

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 08-16-2019 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-16-2019, 10:01 AM

789 posts, read 217,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
Just being a 75 year old woman s a problem (!) for my skin but being a many decades long outside runner in all weather conditions is a real killer.
Not interested in botox, etc. but I would like to not look like a dried up prune.
Right now I'm using Edna daytime moisturizer but it is so greasy appearing even a sparing amount.

I tried Intelligent Nutrients serum but it, also, leaves a weird sheen on my face like a film.
Hmmm...any ideas?
Thanks very much.
If you are not allergic: use raw organic honey as a mask - warm it slightly- do not overheat- smother all over your skin. Wait 15-20 min- the longer the better- rinse with cold water.
If you do it regularly- you won’t need any creams, which usually are full of dangerous and drying chemicals and preservatives
Cold pressed virgin olive oil mask would work as well-or burdock oil- remove by gently patting it with paper towel? “Grease” will be taken in by your skin and will give you a dewy healthy appearance in a few days/ weeks.
And, btw, - do not use any soap on your face
Second the Turf3 suggestion about drinking plenty of water.

Last edited by Nik4me; 08-16-2019 at 10:14 AM..

Old 08-16-2019, 03:36 PM

12,001 posts, read 20,528,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Best moisturizer is the internal one:

Water.

Apply copiously and frequently. For internal use.
Nope. If you have dry skin, there is no amount of water that you can drink that will re-hydrate your skin. Period. I’m proof of that.

And as we age skin can get dryer. That’s why we have moisturizers.

To the OP, my skin has always been dry. At 60 — I wash with CeraVe cleanser for dry skin. I use Neutrogena non-alcoholic toner. It primes my face for moisture. If I don’t use it, my skin feels both dry and greasy, because the stuff I put on doesn’t soak in. Just floats on the top.

I use a retinol serum from Art Naturals that is not oil based. Oil on my skin doesn’t absorb, it just makes it feel greasy. Then I follow up with CeraVe facial moisturizer and I’m done. It all soaks in and my skin feels wonderful.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:12 PM

273 posts, read 60,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Nope. If you have dry skin, there is no amount of water that you can drink that will re-hydrate your skin. Period. I’m proof of that.
True words. I am also proof. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never *really* lived with dry skin.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:14 PM

9,846 posts, read 7,141,358 times
So many recommendations for those CeraVe products I might just have to go find me some!

Old 08-16-2019, 04:54 PM

6,967 posts, read 3,874,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
mod cut - deleted post
Dry, cracking skin is unhealthy skin that needs treatment.

If you had washed and waxed your car faithfully over the years, the paint job would have looked the same 10 years later.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 08-17-2019 at 09:10 AM..

Old 08-16-2019, 05:16 PM

6,967 posts, read 3,874,993 times
I do a lot of things to maintain and repair my skin. Too many things to list. But basically there's:

Internal health
Skin treatments
Skin maintenance and daily care.

Internal: Vitamin E, anti-oxidants, and other vitamins/minerals affect the skin. Circulation helps, too, which you get, since you run. Drinking a lot of liquids and eating foods w/high liquid content helps. (Fruit is a bonanza for the skin, since it's chocked full of antioxidants AND has a high liquid content.)

Treatments: Creams and serums w/retinol and/or alpha lipoic acid. Hyaluronic (HLA) acid serum. Frequent exfoliation (the retinol/alpha lipoic acid counts as exfoliation to an extent). Maybe mild microdermabrasion.

Skin maintenance/care: Moisturize frequently and generously. Note that oil does not moisturize the skin, but it softens it and helps lock in added moisture. I have found that Gold Bond works well for me for the body, but a lot of moisturizing lotions will work (many are essentially the same). For the face I like the Olay Regenerist Micro-sculpting cream (on top of the HLA serum at night); it's hydrating, but also helps w/elasticity. I have had good luck with the Olay line that's made for older skin; I've found it high quality and effective, for the price. I have NOT found that the more you pay, the better the quality or the results. I trust brands that have been in the business for eons; they have a lot of research and experience under their belts (Olay, Clairol, etc.).

My skin at 65 looks pretty good, I suppose. (My problem is more sagging than wrinkles; I was born with those chubby cheeks that fall in later years.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or