Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 10:07 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,099,575 times

Advertisements

Try any of Aubrey Organics lotions. Great moisturizing lotion that is not greasy and all natural. Available at natural food stores and vitamin shops.

https://www.nhc.com/sea-buckthorn-bo...ics?quantity=1

https://www.nhc.com/rosa-mosqueta-bo...ics?quantity=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 10:13 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Try Bag Balm. Seriously. It's from Vermont, where farmers discovered that lanolin (a natural product from sheep) would heal their cracked hands in winter, as well as heal the raw and sore cow udders all winter long. They still use it for that, but everybody else used it as a moisturizer. Nowadays it's medicated, but still made of lanolin. It's not greasy at all. We all use it up here in Maine.

Comes in a big tin if you want a lot of it. Nothing fancy at all!
That stuff is sticky. I can’t imagine applying it to the entire body, only to roughened and chapped areas.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
I think for your face, you might want to visit a dermatologist for an evaluation. You might try 6 or 7 different things on your own, but the doc would make a good rec or prescribe something.

For your body, I recommend Cetaphil or CeraVe cream—the stuff in the wide jars. Cetaphil is hydrophilic. You put it on your skin after showering, while skin is moist, and it keeps moisture on your skin. I’ve used it for years. I apply it all over my back which can get very dry and itchy, especially in winter. But I also apply it everywhere else except my face. Cetaphil is not greasy.

I have been using pure argan oil on my face at night. The stuff is non greasy, but leaves my skin smooth. It is very pleasant. I use CeraVe night cream over the applied argan oil.

I use CeraVe products on my face, and I would recommend them. But I suspect you need an eval from a dermatologist, since you probably have sun damage there.

Cetaphil and CeraVe products are found in drugstores such as Walgreens.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think for your face, you might want to visit a dermatologist for an evaluation. You might try 6 or 7 different things on your own, but the doc would make a good rec or prescribe something.

For your body, I recommend Cetaphil or CeraVe cream—the stuff in the wide jars. Cetaphil is hydrophilic. You put it on your skin after showering, while skin is moist, and it keeps moisture on your skin. I’ve used it for years. I apply it all over my back which can get very dry and itchy, especially in winter. But I also apply it everywhere else except my face. Cetaphil is not greasy.

I have been using pure argan oil on my face at night. The stuff is non greasy, but leaves my skin smooth. It is very pleasant. I use CeraVe night cream over the applied argan oil.

I use CeraVe products on my face, and I would recommend them. But I suspect you need an eval from a dermatologist, since you probably have sun damage there.

CeraVe for sure. My doctor said it's really good stuff and that it's not just soothing the ceramides and hyaluronic acid actually repair your skin and can prevent heat rashes and eczema

Old 08-15-2019, 11:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
CeraVe for sure. My doctor said it's really good stuff and that it's not just soothing the ceramides and hyaluronic acid actually repair your skin and can prevent heat rashes and eczema
Yes. I have been using it for about a decade now.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:02 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
On my face: I use plain old Pond's cream at night and in the morning during the winter. It isn't greasy and is very reasonably priced. https://www.amazon.com/Ponds-Dry-Ski...PANFC9T3Q&th=1

For my hands: the BEST product I have found for dry cracked hands is Curel. Non-scented, it soaks right in and when you wash your hands, it doesn't wash off or feel slimey like many hand creams do. Nothing else I've tried (many) seems to work as well as Curel. https://www.amazon.com/Curél-Fragra...NrPXRydWU&th=1

Old 08-16-2019, 06:16 AM

989 posts, read 455,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I have extremely dry, sensitive skin. I mean: I do not produce oil at all. Scalp never gets oil, face never gets oily, nothing.

For years I have used the Cetaphil in the wide jar. It makes my skin feel comfortable. Last year, Costco started selling the CeraVe in the wide jar and they didn't have Cetaphil for a few weeks. So I bought the CeraVe. It feels a little "stickier" going on, but it absorbs, and oh my goodness, my skin is so much better. In fact, when I was at the dermatologist back in March and discussing my dry skin, she was rubbing her hand across my forearm and she said "You know, your skin is really soft and it feels good."

Now, I will say I have never tried it on my face. Even some of the simple creams will give me a fine rash or redness on my face. I actually use straight Vaseline on my face, leave it on for about 15 minutes, then blot it off. But if you don't have sensitivity issues, I think trying any of CeraVe products that are lighter would be a good start. I can't say any of these creams have done a darn thing for "aging" issues in the looks department; however, my skin does feel comfortable now.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:21 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Best moisturizer is the internal one:

Water.

Apply copiously and frequently. For internal use.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:34 AM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
modcut - deleted post
I'd tend to agree with you, but that 75 yr old dry skin tends to also be itchy, flaky and uncomfortable. The lotions and other products mentioned in this thread help with with the dryness and flaking and make the skin more comfortable, not just looking better. That's also true for my 72 year old skin, so I can identify.

I tend to use a variety of lotions/creams, always open to trying a new one. They all help, I can't say I've come across one I especially prefer. I'm not especially wrinkled, but the skin does tend to be dry and flaky sometimes.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 08-17-2019 at 09:08 AM..

Old 08-16-2019, 06:40 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,919 times
another vote for Cerave, and Costco's price is great. My dermatologist had recommended it. Dries to a greaseless film. Non-staining, too, and no scent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement