U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM

8,474 posts, read 9,237,024 times

Advertisements

As I said in the other thread $50 an hour! Something is wrong with Maine’s in home care system. In eastern CA private outfits usually charge $22-$24 per hour. If you qualify for county/state in home services they pay the caregivers $15 an hour. In either case we have no shortage of in home caregivers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

4,748 posts, read 3,309,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
As long as they are LEGAL immigrants!

This is how I feel about the above remark.

Were you born here? Or did you arrive by boat or some other transportation?

What do you think God will accept? Do you know anything about taking care of your neighbor?

Have you thought about how very lucky you are if you were born here? Ever wonder what it is like to be so frightened of the monsters running your country you would walk miles and miles and miles in the hot sun, no food or drink on regular basis, no headache meds, for women monthly needs.

Oh yeah, those poor souls are just awful. NOT. They might want a bite of bread. Can you spare it?

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

4,467 posts, read 2,682,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I would be more inclined to call on church groups or Habitat for Humanity....if you are like us you will be downsizing your next move.
I never thought of Habitat for Humanity. We give a lot to them. We already have downsized from two houses to one house of 1200 sq ft. plus a wood shop. Still is a lot of stuff.

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

3,987 posts, read 1,551,850 times
we hope that we can stay where we are until the robots take those jobs.

Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,854 posts, read 40,335,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As I said in the other thread $50 an hour! Something is wrong with Maine’s in home care system. In eastern CA private outfits usually charge $22-$24 per hour. If you qualify for county/state in home services they pay the caregivers $15 an hour. In either case we have no shortage of in home caregivers
Thus, why I commit volunteer 'retiree' time as an international Cooperative Business Developer.

We have enabled several Home HealthCare workers into 'worker- co-ops'

Their wages usually double + they get dividends from any co-op profits / overages.
Plus service is better when you have ownership in the success of your own company / results.
(consider hiring HHC Co-op owners)
https://community-wealth.org/content...are-associates
Cooperative Home Care Associates
Cooperative Care: A Cooperative Model for Homecare | Grassroots Economic Organizing
https://prospect.org/article/bedside...e-care-workers

Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM

3,206 posts, read 6,994,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have long said we need MORE immigrants, as the boomer generation ages and some go into nursing homes.

Americans by and large don't want these jobs. Something to think about.
Robots will be taking care of elderly Americans a lot sooner than many think.

Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM

193 posts, read 189,039 times
You can live in a good quality nursing home in a safe Mexican city for 1500 a month. For 3000 a month, you could live in absolute luxury. Mainly your food will be fresh and local as opposed to the slop they pass off as food to American seniors in assited living homes. I have zero intention of even being in "assisted living". I certainy won't tolerate what I've seen go on in nursing homes in America.

Old Today, 02:00 AM

192 posts, read 204,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
I have zero intention of even being in "assisted living". I certainy won't tolerate what I've seen go on in nursing homes in America.
I feel the same way and I hope we are both fortunate enough to avoid it. Iím currently watching, from a safe distance, a former neighbor literally at the end of her rope with no friends, no family, no resources and unable to care for herself properly. Assisted living would be a better place for her than the way she is living now. A friend she is now estranged from got her into a place that even took her dog but she ďbroke herself outĒ and returned to her apartment before the friend could settle it up. 5 years ago when she was 75, she had a house and a car and was totally independent. But a serious illness later and now she canít even take her trash to the dumpster, get to the laundry room, get to the office to pay her rent, get her mail... One neighbor who Iím in contact with takes her to run errands but she can be unpleasant and he is feeling real put upon. She does nothing on the internet and has cataracts and can barely see the cell phone a distant relative got for her to hopefully bring her into the digital age. It is beyond sad and a cautionary tale. Itís like she lives in the 1950s and never made any attempt to modernize. So much stuff that she needs could be arranged with a few mouse clicks if she had started clicking back in the 90s but, before I moved I tried to set her up on Amazon but the only orders placed were the ones I helped her do. I know she wonít let the complex into her apartment for any reason routine pest control, ac filter replaced, smoke detector battery replacement, she has fallen at least 5 times where the fire department had to come pick her up off the floor. Once she fell into the wall on her way down and there is a gigantic hole in it now, the microwave doesnít work and a ceiling fan in bedroom doesnít work. I have no idea how it will end but the end will only come when someone else forces the issue. No running off to Mexico for her.

Old Today, 02:06 AM

14,265 posts, read 7,623,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Robots will be taking care of elderly Americans a lot sooner than many think.
I think itís highly unlikely a robot will be created that can perform the typical CNA nursing home tasks US citizens donít want to do. Bathing. Bed lifts. Incontinence management. Those kinds of tasks are really hard to automate.

I think the thing that will get automated is monitoring and cueing. It will allow the elderly to live at home longer independently. Your monitor system will recognize that ďIíve fallen and I canít get upĒ. Someone in Bangalore at $2.00/hour will respond to the alert. If it needs human intervention, theyíll dispatch someone local who makes $20/hour. As autonomous cars show up, the elderly living alone can get driven to the senior center for daily social interaction.

For me, the city a couple miles away has 37.4% of the city not speaking English as the primary language at home. Unlike lilly-white Maine, there is a huge pool of people who will do a 6 week CNA course to make a bit better than minimum wage. Theyíre not eligible for the safety net so they have to work. I canít imagine having a Maine-like labor shortage.

This article illustrates yet another big disadvantage of retiring in a rural place.

Old Today, 02:41 AM

193 posts, read 189,039 times
Maine isn't so lily white anymore, thanks to Congress. Check some You tube Videos on Portland. Apparently the people we voted for are determined to turn most of America into a slum. The whitest city in America is Springfield Missouri. That's actually number 2, but 1 is Billings, Montana, and that's way to far north for most people. As most of you have mentioned there are plenty of all white suburbs and small towns all over the place. I grew up in one, the thing is, there is an all black town just down the road a few miles!

Skin color has nothing to do with what bothers me, it's education and cultural norms of anyone who lives by leaching and complains all day. My white neighbors accross the street are worse than any black ghetto thugs I ever had to deal with. All around however, I am done with vulger American culture of all types. We have become very Crass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or