U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 04:53 PM

Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,248 posts, read 3,452,862 times

Advertisements

Tried it in both capsule and oil form, for a couple of different conditions it is supposed to be good for.
Did not get one iota of benefit. I don't think these CBD products will be effective unless you can get one that has some THC component to it. My personal opinion is that those claiming benefit from CBD-only products may be having a bit of a placebo effect, as happens with many other people and their supplements that they swear by, despite zero studies showing their efficacy. If supplements actually did the things they are purported to do, big pharma would be all over it and producing prescription drugs utilizing those natural ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 04:55 PM

4,363 posts, read 1,754,358 times
reminds me of the origins of "snake oil".
it Used To Be actual snake oil which reduced
inflammation for the Chinese working on the railroad,
and then the word got out about that, which led to
con men entering the game. CBD might work, i just
cannot trust that pure CBD is what i am buying.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:57 PM

5,389 posts, read 2,088,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
reminds me of the origins of "snake oil".
it Used To Be actual snake oil which reduced
inflammation for the Chinese working on the railroad,
and then the word got out about that, which led to
con men entering the game. CBD might work, i just
cannot trust that pure CBD is what i am buying.
It's not that hard to research.

You can even do a Yelp search.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:13 PM

1,545 posts, read 760,374 times
John.....I have been using CBD oil,for my arthritis. It helps, when I rub it on my hips, before bed. It really helps me sleep better. My DH, uses it, on his heel, for Planters Fastisits (sp), before golf. It does help him.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:45 PM

7,460 posts, read 15,576,193 times
I was having problems with my shoulder - it's not rotator cuff, but a bursitis and adhesion issue and when it gets bad I can't lift my arm/elbow above my shoulder. Previously I had to have cortizone shots inside the joint to free it up, which only sort of worked (and hurt like heck, any shot for which you need 3 numbing shots first is not a good thing).

I've tried various things over the years, from acupuncture to several different types of massage and manipulation (some of which also hurt like heck) and various external lotions, potions and creams - plus, of course, a lot of physical therapy and strengthening exercizes. I tried a locally produced external CBD oil, which worked better than anything else I tried, and then I tried a 50/50 THC/CBD lotion which worked extremely well. I was really surprised. Glad they are legal where I live. There is no "high" from it, although I am careful to wash my hands after I apply it.

My beloved old dog is starting to have problems with arthritis and general stiffness and pain. The vet gave her dog ibuprofen but it really messed with her blood chemistry results. One of the local stores specializes in veterinary CBD and we tried several different formulations and finally found one that seems to ease her stiffness and she doesn't seem to be in pain, at least as far as I can tell.

Internal use for humans I'd probably be a bit more cautious about - there is a lot of BS out there, in both directions, about CBD and finding a trustworthy source is iffy.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-17-2019, 06:28 PM

5,389 posts, read 2,088,151 times
My dog uses "Vet CBD," which is a 20:1 ratio of CBD:THC. It really helps him and may be keeping him alive.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:55 AM

720 posts, read 219,422 times
I'm doing it now because I've read good things about it. Please note, it's one of those treatments you need to experiment with to determine the optimum dosage for you. It slowed my resting heart-rate down to a better rate and as a result I feel better and less anxious. Shocking that since the treatment, I've slept throughout the night without a single disturbance. That's rare. lol

There are side effects. That's why you have to play with the dosage amount. I started with a full + 1/2 dropper under the tongue. I got all the side effects for the next four hours. The next day I reduced it to 1/2 a dropper under the tongue which seems to be the best dosage for me. It is expensive, but I spend more on my vitamins/supplements and all of the above contribute to good health.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:57 AM

827 posts, read 206,740 times
I live in a state where it’s legal & bought it in another state where it’s legal and of good quality. I bought a bottle of CBD oil for insomnia. I don’t remember the strength, it was maximum available, a recommended brand from a recommended store. It didn’t help at all, & it wasn’t cheap. No THC in it. I’m not spending any more $$$ on it.

OTH, someone I know has a topical CBD stick that they use for osteoarthritis & they swear by it. I had a flareup from an old injury & borrowed it & it did seem to work to bring down the inflammation & pain...not a placebo effect, IMO.

For anyone who tries edible for insomnia, be careful. They sneak up on you, and the THC can make you paranoid, which certainly doesn’t help you sleep...way different experience than burning a doobie back in the day.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:41 AM

2,801 posts, read 782,455 times
The only way to really know whether CBD oil has any true physiological effect would be to not know whether you were using it that night or for a couple of weeks----where you would be using it blindly, rubbing it into your skin or swallowing drops or gummies and then later evaluating whether it made you feel better. You'd need to have someone give you gummies, drops, or cream with CBD oil and then without it.

You can't discount the placebo effect. Amazon actually sells placebos. Usually a placebo works because the person doesn't know it's a placebo, but these are labelled and sold as placebos. 50% of the buyers gave it 5 stars!

Old 08-18-2019, 05:45 AM

3,941 posts, read 3,261,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Dispensaries vet their CBD products - rumor has that many of the products sold online might be bogus - so you really have to trust your source.

The whole plant is more beneficial.
This right here. If you're in a legal state you have access to effective CBD products. If you're in a state without legal MJ the CBD oil you're getting is from seed oil and isn't worth the label on the bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or