U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 08:46 AM

6,443 posts, read 4,848,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
For the love of God could not understand the appeal- surrounded by all other campers in an “allocated” space in a campground.
This is actually very common. Many RV campers have little interest in being in the wilderness or highly scenic areas. The first requirement seems to be hook ups for electricity, water and waste. Next is a patio area for the zero gravity chairs and propane BBQ. Having lots of other people nearby also seems to be popular.

If you look at the average RV you will get another confirmation that this is the intended lifestyle. Many are as big as small apartments or mobile homes. They are not really designed for much travel or getting by without hookups.

In hundreds of nights of travel, I have only stayed in RV parks a couple of times. I rarely have hookups available and even shutdown and capped off my "city" water hookup.

Last edited by jrkliny; 08-21-2019 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 09:22 AM

531 posts, read 108,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Understand, the RV is not for everyone.
I visited some of my RV loving family members and friends when they were” camping” in our area- travelled to see them for a couple of hours in our car.
For the love of God could not understand the appeal- surrounded by all other campers in an “allocated” space in a campground.
The example below is google image- with fancy campers in a nice area to make my point.
I saw much, much worth looking RV with all camping chairs out and in a tightly spaced campground visiting my friends there...

You call it “ nature”? Peaceful?
My RV camping friends have more nature on their own multi-acres property in the lovely and beautiful mountain - forests area
Heck, we have more nature in our private backyard..
No personal experience, but I expect there's a strong social angle to all of it. Kind of a giant, largely outdoor tavern.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:03 PM

13,843 posts, read 9,942,240 times
Way back in time, I was contemplating a low-cost wheel estate, using a Nissan pickup (5,000 lb tow capacity) and an inexpensive fifth wheel trailer. Then was intrigued by TrailManor collapsible trailers... low profile when towed. But as I get older, those small class A buses look better and better. Easy to maneuver, not too conspicuous, and acceptable for 1 or 2 occupants. New ones are too expensive, but used ones pop up all over the place. And reputable name brands may cost a bit more, but will save you grief over the long run.

One old diesel mechanic gave me a tip - don't buy an RV that has any mold or mildew smell - that's bad news - a sign of leaking. But if the motor is shot, it's not a bad deal, since a new motor installation is a moderate expense - especially if you're friends with a diesel mechanic.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:50 PM

5,054 posts, read 3,531,214 times
There's a great couple doing utubes on their traveling. Their site is You,Me and the RV.

They started rving because they wanted to explore different areas to retire. A plane trip and motel doesn't give you a real idea of a place. The expense of doing that, along with rental cars, is pretty prohibitive. Even if you could afford it, why spend unnecessary money?

I haven't watched them for awhile, but they are having a blast last time I checked.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:54 PM

Wow jet, those trail manors look astonishing. As for a good class B, Robin at creativity rv has a nice one. She also has great ideas and wrote a book on being a nomad. Very sweet, down to earth person.

Last edited by meo92953; 08-21-2019 at 06:38 PM..

Old 08-21-2019, 06:02 PM

531 posts, read 108,440 times
An interesting alternative to RV life that I've run into (and didn't know anything about) is from 'Cruising the Cut' on youtube.

British narrowboat living. Fairly restful shows, you have to be good with watching a guy motoring around at walking speed, but it actually looks like a pretty cool way to live.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
An interesting alternative to RV life that I've run into (and didn't know anything about) is from 'Cruising the Cut' on youtube.

British narrowboat living. Fairly restful shows, you have to be good with watching a guy motoring around at walking speed, but it actually looks like a pretty cool way to live.
Sounds interesting. I'll have to watch that.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 PM

7,604 posts, read 3,126,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This is not the van or RV life anyone would choose. This is what happens for those who are at bottom and cannot get by. After the 2008 recession quite a few people lost their jobs and their houses and could not even pay rent. While traveling I met quite a few people living in vans or cars. Some of the stories were just heart wrenching. Most of these people were looking for work. Some had families elsewhere they were trying to support. This was more common then than now.

Your lack of concern, your attitude and your lack of sympathy are just plain disgusting!!!
Whatever, dude. You know nothing about me.
There have been bums and vagrants since the beginning of civilization. It's just that now, the Left finds them useful politically. That's just plain disgusting.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:10 PM

6,443 posts, read 4,848,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Whatever, dude. You know nothing about me.
There have been bums and vagrants since the beginning of civilization. It's just that now, the Left finds them useful politically. That's just plain disgusting.
I certainly don't need or want to learn more. Some people regardless of politics would like to see people be able to recover and get back on their feet.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:17 PM

1,160 posts, read 846,661 times
Watch videos on YouTube. Watch them all. Get deep into the weeds.

I spent hundreds of hours studying this topic. Thought it would be fun to go out west. Find a quality used camper and do this for a few years. Lots of inexpensive options using legitimate parks.

But not an easy life. Managing food is difficult. Basic sanitation is difficult. Staying warm is difficult and often not safe with some of the options people regularly use. Forget staying cool in the oppressive heat. Just getting safe drinking water in some areas can be extremely difficult.

Staying safe day in and day out can be extremely difficult. Predators can easily see you as a target.

If you get deep into the study as I did you will find many of the people who do this do it because of lack of funds. Very difficult to do day in day out for years on end.

And pooping in a bucket. You are going to see plenty on this topic.

Just not for me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or