U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 11:43 AM

5,068 posts, read 3,545,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Do tell. So are we. Just saw a camper van fitted out for 4-wheel drive here. From Idaho, LOL!
How remarkable is that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
It works for many people who need or want to live as cheap as possible. Dont forget that unless you are 100% dry camping (no water or electricity or free government land PARKING YOUR VAN WILL COST YOU EVERY NIGHT and that adds up quickly.
Sure, that's a given. That's why I would travel with the caravans, who stay in BLM land and depend mainly on solar for energy use. That's an expenditure in the beginning but saves drastically over time.

There's a lot to consider when contemplating this lifestyle. A person really has to be sure of what they're doing.

But, a person could try it out and return to 'normal life', whatever that is, if it didn't work for them.

I guess when I lost my house to foreclosure and my brother lost everything when his house burnt to the ground, it just made me realize life can change in an instant.

I came through it, my brother rebuilt. Life can change either way, nothing is set in stone.

Even my being on section 8 could change. I'm right on the cusp income wise. If guidelines would change my status could change.

I think it's wise to have alternatives.

If it wouldn't have been for my family, I could have been homeless, at least until I was eligible for social security.

I envisioned myself on the street. I was pretty shallow at the time, more worried about the people I'd helped over the years working in the nonprofit sector seeing me homeless than the reality of the situation I was in.

Hopefully I have grown since that time. What I would have taken for homelessness, I now consider an alternate lifestyle.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:34 PM

37,392 posts, read 46,109,703 times
Here’s the thing. If you want and need to ramble, and then if you bring your own shelter with you, you are happy. After all, all we need is shelter from the storm, food and a blanket.

I like my solid house. If I wanted to roam the country then I’d make that experience as safe and cozy as possible.

Many of my contemporaries roam the US in motor homes, and that is great. As for me, I like terra firma.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:35 PM

6,450 posts, read 4,859,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

There's a lot to consider when contemplating this lifestyle.......
"Contemplating" is a lot different than doing. It sounds like you like the former and are not about to do the later.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:47 AM

I don't know jr. I'm disabled for a reason (car accident) and at times wonder if I can do it. I've seen videos of people with disabilities living the lifestyle and that gives me hope. My problem is I have trouble walking any length. I walk with a cane or a walker. I CAN walk, but I have to stop often and I'm slow.

A person becomes inventive though. I walk with my cane from the parking lot of a store then use their electric carts to shop. Once home I carry a light bag in, grab my walker and load up my groceries on that. I walk it to the kitchen table and put things away one by one.

If the store doesn't have electric carts, I can get by with a push cart but it's limited. Since I live in a town, the only stores I go to that don't have carts are the dollar stores. If a larger store doesn't have them, I don't go there.

My lease on the apartment isn't up until next April 30 so I have time to think about it and prepare myself. I should know by then if I can do it. I may have to save for another year before I can. I'll need a dependable vehicle or be prepared to tent camp.

That's why I'm contemplating and exploring at this time.

Last edited by meo92953; 08-24-2019 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-24-2019, 10:55 AM

3,736 posts, read 1,640,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I don't know jr. I'm disabled for a reason (car accident) and at times wonder if I can do it. I've seen videos of people with disabilities living the lifestyle and that gives me hope. My problem is I have trouble walking any length. I walk with a cane or a walker. I CAN walk, but I have to stop often and I'm slow.

A person becomes inventive though. I walk with my cane from the parking lot of a store then use their electric carts to shop. Once home I carry a light bag in, grab my walker and load up my groceries on that. I walk it to the kitchen table and put things away one by one.

If the store doesn't have electric carts, I can get by with a push cart but it's limited. Since I live in a town, the only stores I go to that don't have carts are the dollar stores. If a larger store doesn't have them, I don't go there.

My lease on the apartment isn't up until next April 30 so I have time to think about it and prepare myself. I should know by then if I can do it. I may have to save for another year before I can. I'll need a dependable vehicle or be prepared to tent camp.

That's why I'm contemplating and exploring at this time.
I'm sure you can physically RV-camp, but I would not recommend considering TENT camping. I used to live this way and no way can I crouch down into a tent anymore (joint replacements). No squatting for me.

Tent camping can involve a lot of squatting if there's no amenities at the camp site. Not to mention squat-toileting in the wilderness. Forget it!

If you are a bit handicapped, you will want to be able to stand up or sit supported for ALL things (I do).

You oldsters who can still crouch/squat/kneel---appreciate it!!

Old 08-24-2019, 01:29 PM

This is one of the reasons I'm still in the contemplation phase. I can squat though and even bend. For the first year after back surgery I could do neither. The exercises my physical therapist gave me worked, to a large extent. I'm grateful I can do what I can.

I bought a cot so I wouldn't have to sleep on the ground while camping. I figured I could always use it as a base for a bed in a van. It's actually already come in handy when family members visited as I don't have a second bed so it certainly wasn't wasted money.

A lot of my decisions will be made after the RTR. I'll find out if I can do it or not when I try it, and not before.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:09 PM

10,185 posts, read 12,496,827 times
I have a taste of it but here is my current home away from home.

At 71 I still work full time but the commute back and forth is a 1,600 mile round trip so this is where I live when I am not at home.

I spend half of my life living here in the deep south while the other half of my life is back home in Ohio. I fly back and forth so I will typically fly to work on a Monday, work for 10 days until Friday then fly home to spend two full weekends and a week at home. Rinse, repeat. Yeah, I got sky miles.

About every three months my wife will fly down with me to spend a couple weeks...

It has a shower, toilet, full kitchen and bedroom. Most of the time I am here by myself and it is secluded about 3/4 mile off a country road. There is only one other house within 2,000 feet.

This photo is taken about 1/2 mile off the road and my trailer is located about 200 feet or so beyond the trees on the other side of horse trailer. Yep, no neighbors! I can actually run around naked if I wanted to but it would scare all the animal life away.

But I have electric, a septic tank, fresh water and I have a Verizon hot spot so I do have internet. Slow but I do have it.

The only utilities I have to pay for is electric which runs $100/month on the high side and $20/month for propane for cooking and heating in winter. Being far from home I do keep it comfortable...I figure if I still work I want the temperatures inside to be exactly comfortable which is where I keep it. If I couldn't afford the comfort I would quit.

I really enjoy working in January when it is snowing and zero in Ohio. It might get chilly here on the Georgia/Florida line but we never see snow. My wife loves spending time with me in January.

Looking out the window early in the morning it is very common to see deer in the hay field beyond.

Cooking is minimum unless the wife is here because I hate cleaning up. Doing dishes sucks!

No television but I do have netflix etc and a radio. I hardly ever watch television anyway.

But as far as van living this travel trailer is about as small as I would want to get and even with the trailer I would not want to spend the rest of my life here either.

But if I got an apartment I would spend at least $800/month once figuring rent and utilities which saves me at least $700/month paying for my trips back and forth.

Yep, I literally live out in the middle of nowhere!

I just measured and with the "pull outs" I have approximately 11' by 33' or we will call it somewhere around 320 sq ft.

Even by myself I could not imagine living long term in less space.

Last edited by nicet4; 08-24-2019 at 04:37 PM..

Old 08-24-2019, 05:06 PM

4,799 posts, read 3,331,278 times
One thing I have found true for me in retirement is how my thoughts and wishes have changed with time.

I live in central NY state and wanted so badly to move to NC or VA, maybe even NH or Maine. But my finances were quite slim and there was no way I would be able to move. So I brooded about that for a while, drove to NC and VA to look around, check out apartments, but had to finally admit it wasn't going to happen.
So, thankful for PBS and some other TV programs, I'm able to see and hear about places I might have liked moving there.

At 77 I'm quite peaceful with staying here. I'm out of debt. We have the four seasons, tho I have to admit that winters are definitely not what they used to be. But ask anyone who lives east of Lake Ontario they will tell a different story!! Lots of snow and cold there. A nice one-bedroom apartment and two cats. And leasing a car, which I'm thinking I'll keep doing.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:04 PM

6,450 posts, read 4,859,700 times
I would not recommend van or any sort of RV living for a single person with limited mobility and a very small income. You need to think about support whethere that is government services or family and friends. You won't easily find that on BLM lands in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or