U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 01:58 PM

5,076 posts, read 3,552,136 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your comments. I do look forward to traveling. While reading your post I pictured you fishing from a stream.

I've never really camped, except when I was in the girl scouts. I haven't traveled much either. It will be interesting when I start.

I have to say I envy those of you who have camped and traveled. I grew up with 8 brothers and sisters and there weren't funds for traveling or camping. We did spend a lot of time at our grandparents farm and would 'camp' outdoors a lot there, but no real camping.

Since my grandfather was wise in buying land with lake property, I did learn to fish early on and still enjoy it tremendously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 03:43 PM

41,381 posts, read 3,162,397 times
I camped quite bit in my youth, but I don't fancy it at all any more. If we travel, I liek to stay in motels or hotels, cheap ones are fine with me.

I love to travel, but some people hate it.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:04 PM

621 posts, read 127,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here’s the thing. If you want and need to ramble, and then if you bring your own shelter with you, you are happy. After all, all we need is shelter from the storm, food and a blanket.

I like my solid house. If I wanted to roam the country then I’d make that experience as safe and cozy as possible.

Many of my contemporaries roam the US in motor homes, and that is great. As for me, I like terra firma.
"What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade."

Sterling Hayden

Old 08-27-2019, 10:24 PM

6,091 posts, read 9,622,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I camped quite bit in my youth, but I don't fancy it at all any more. If we travel, I liek to stay in motels or hotels, cheap ones are fine with me.

I love to travel, but some people hate it.
We like to travel, and if we need it we are completely satisfied with a cheap, clean, comfortable hotel room. But, we prefer to carry our hotel room along with us (small travel trailer now, formerly Westfalia camper).

We did one trip, with offspring, during which I decided this was a trip to splurge on. I reserved a suite in a "boutique hotel". It was bigger than our condo!!! It was great! Luckily we could afford it so it was well worth the bucks I splurged with.

Lately we spend 3 to 4 months wandering with the trailer. Including health emergencies, which we've discovered we can deal with now that we're on Medicare (plus supplements).

meo, with your physical issues you'll need to carefully choose the vehicle/'hotel room' you travel in. But if you can do it, go for it. It won't get any easier as we age, so do it now if you can and want to do it.

Who ever died wishing they didn't go for it? More often I hear them wishing they'd gone for it.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:49 AM

10,642 posts, read 6,062,013 times
Not a chance I could live this way full time but I've been kicking around the idea of converting a van for cheap travel for several years. I am familiar with the site in the OP, done extensive research on designs, insulation, wiring etc. I learned many places such as Walmart allows you to spend the night for free. Then my wife informed me that she has no interest in spending her retirement years sleeping in a van in a Walmart parking lot.

All in all not an unreasonable position to take.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:54 AM

8,248 posts, read 5,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Not a chance I could live this way full time but I've been kicking around the idea of converting a van for cheap travel for several years. I am familiar with the site in the OP, done extensive research on designs, insulation, wiring etc. I learned many places such as Walmart allows you to spend the night for free. Then my wife informed me that she has no interest in spending her retirement years sleeping in a van in a Walmart parking lot.

All in all not an unreasonable position to take.
Not unreasonable at all.

That Walmart parking lot may be denied to her anyway as Wally World is cracking down on RV parking, at least here in the Southwest.

But there's always Cracker Barrel.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:01 AM

10,642 posts, read 6,062,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Not unreasonable at all.

That Walmart parking lot may be denied to her anyway as Wally World is cracking down on RV parking, at least here in the Southwest.

Yeah I've given up on the idea, not sure I was ever crazy about spending the night in a dark parking lot either. Just wouldn't feel safe. But we still camp and the tent will get old one day, I may just turn it into a more comfortable camping option.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:15 AM

805 posts, read 402,702 times
How many retired people (age >65) actually live full time in RVs? My guess is few because the “lifestyle” no longer matches their physical abilities. As a retiree, part-time RV-ing in a purchased vehicle makes no sense from a financial standpoint. I can rent a RV or stay at fairly comfortable hotels/resorts for far less than the carrying cost of a motor home or fifth wheel + truck.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,944 posts, read 40,461,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Not unreasonable at all.

And thousands of other places free to under $10. (actual campgrounds, fairgrounds, city parks)
https://freecampsites.net/
Harvest hosts
Gleaners
farmstays
NFS
BLM
Army Corp
TVA (?)

Noted for 'other future readers', not Dave@MtAiry "I've given up on the idea, ..."

Old 08-28-2019, 11:04 AM

3,748 posts, read 1,649,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
How many retired people (age >65) actually live full time in RVs? My guess is few because the “lifestyle” no longer matches their physical abilities. As a retiree, part-time RV-ing in a purchased vehicle makes no sense from a financial standpoint. I can rent a RV or stay at fairly comfortable hotels/resorts for far less than the carrying cost of a motor home or fifth wheel + truck.
My sister and BIL do, in TX. Retired gov't workers, and they stay free with their large, new 5th wheel at my other sister's campus, doing volunteer work in exchange. They leave whenever they want and travel back and forth (usually flying) to see the grandkids in CA.

I believe their idea was to explore enough to see where exactly they wanted to settle down. Their stuff is in storage. They seem quite content with this lifestyle.

I've done enough wilderness back-woods camping by horseback, to last a lifetime (in my 40s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or