U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 12:47 PM

10,642 posts, read 6,062,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
How many retired people (age >65) actually live full time in RVs? My guess is few because the ďlifestyleĒ no longer matches their physical abilities. As a retiree, part-time RV-ing in a purchased vehicle makes no sense from a financial standpoint. I can rent a RV or stay at fairly comfortable hotels/resorts for far less than the carrying cost of a motor home or fifth wheel + truck.
Yeah that was always my take. Even the rental is close to the cost of a cheap motel per night, then you add in the additional cost for gas over a car or SUV and you sure need to cook a lot of your own meals to make it pay for all the additional costs of an RV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 01:37 PM

8,250 posts, read 5,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
How many retired people (age >65) actually live full time in RVs? My guess is few because the “lifestyle” no longer matches their physical abilities.
Your guess is wrong.

Approximately 1 million seniors RV full-time, according to RVIA (RV Industry Association).

We Traded Our Home for a $50,000 RV in Retirement -- And We've Never Been Happier
The Cost of Living in an RV in Retirement | Money

Old 08-28-2019, 03:37 PM

1,239 posts, read 694,538 times
DH and I had a VW poptop camper in the 1970s. We had a blast camping up and down the East coast from Maine to Key West. That van had a lawnmower for an engine and we barely could go 30 mph uphill but we were young and took it in stride.

When the kids were older, we rented RVs several times for 3 week camping trips throughout the West, hitting most of the national parks. We had a terrific time and they still love to talk about our travels 20 years later.

Always thought we would travel in an RV in retirement but now the long distance driving isn’t as appealing. We probably could live in an RV or 5th wheel, but not a van. Campgrounds seem more overcrowded now but the people we met were really friendly.

So glad we did it so we have had a lifetime of memories. Now we fly and stay in hotels - comfortable beds and a good, hot shower. But I certainly understand the allure as our country is beautiful and very much worth exploring.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:20 PM

3,052 posts, read 1,653,026 times
I would love to spend a summer/year/extended period traveling in a RV to beautiful & remote places of natural beauty.... & then return home. Indeterminate life living like a refugee on wheels is not appealing at all & the other option you offered " a third world country" isn't the only option.

France, Spain, Portugal, Mexico, Argentina come to mind pretty quickly. Ever been to Kuala Lumpur Malaysia? It's more modern, up to date & cleaner than most US cities with good affordable healthcare, widespread English, tax exemption & discounts for seniors & great affordable housing. I would go there in a split second if the other option was living in an Econoline in the "good ol' USA". But different strokes...

Old 08-28-2019, 08:20 PM

9,646 posts, read 17,338,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Now, that is a long way to drive.....
I would think Stephie (stepka) probably flew there though. (Howdy Steph & Sand&Salt)...

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5

Looks like they would have to take the vehicle by boat from Panama City to Colombia.
Hey Hawk! Ainít heered from you in a month of Sundayís! You are so right in that Iíve switched to public transportation. Iím even living in a house now and when I want to go see my daughter I have to hop on a city bus and ride for an hour, which is fine because Iím not going to drive in Santiago!

Old 08-29-2019, 05:27 PM

15,412 posts, read 17,935,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Hey Hawk! Ainít heered from you in a month of Sundayís! You are so right in that Iíve switched to public transportation. Iím even living in a house now and when I want to go see my daughter I have to hop on a city bus and ride for an hour, which is fine because Iím not going to drive in Santiago!

Howdy Steph, i'm really happy you've been having so much fun traveling/exploring parts of the world, finding new adventures & beautiful views to save on your cam, for future viewing...
It's great your able to spend some quality time with your daughter.
Be Safe out thar...

Old 08-31-2019, 06:48 AM

10,642 posts, read 6,062,013 times
I kicked around the cost to rent an RV, $100/day plus the campground fee plus the gas at 8 MPG. Sorry that's a whole lot more than traveling in a car and staying at the Days Inn. I really want to be able to do this some day but the cost is prohibitive.

For the price of one trip for a month I could purchase a used van, then put in a few hundred bucks to make it semi-livable. Towing a small trailer would take care of all the storage we would need. Sure a van is not an RV but it sure looks to be the way to go, we'd mix in hotel stays when it got too much.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 08-31-2019 at 07:19 AM..

Old 08-31-2019, 09:43 AM

6,460 posts, read 4,869,303 times
Yes lots of people buy RVs and spend a huge amount for each day they use it. After a few years many people sell. This is especially true of families with young kids. It might work out for a few years but by age 12-15 getting a kid to spend quality time with parents in an RV is impossible.

An RV is only worth it if it going to be used a lot. Even then it can be an expensive hobby. BTW, easterners rarely get it. When you live in or travel to the west you understand quickly.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:47 AM

2,591 posts, read 2,968,982 times
The Van Life Youtuber explains her setup really well and I like many of the ideas she implemented.

I'd like to travel in a similar van maybe, but not live in one. There are just too many drawbacks and inconveniences for me anyway. I've lived in cramped apartments and so on and never liked it when I was younger. But I have the travel bug again and would love to try some variation of what this Van Life person has done.

Last edited by maus; 08-31-2019 at 10:30 AM..

Old 08-31-2019, 10:27 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,111,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Your guess is wrong.

Approximately 1 million seniors RV full-time, according to RVIA (RV Industry Association).

We Traded Our Home for a $50,000 RV in Retirement -- And We've Never Been Happier
The Cost of Living in an RV in Retirement | Money
I seem that you in the article?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or