U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

2,990 posts, read 4,006,538 times

Advertisements

While the romanticism with RV living and traveling is alive and well, in my travels over the years I am seeing an increasing amount of people who are living the van or RV life due to necessity.

Homelessness coupled with rising rents and lack of affordable housing, more and more Americans are turning to the RV life.

I know the percentages of those needing to live the nomadic lifestyle to survive are small, but I think they are continually increasing.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...live-rvs.html/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM

239 posts, read 87,487 times
Although it might be ok for some people, I can't imagine living in a van or an RV at my age. When I was a young guy in my 20's I slept in my car, on the floor, on pool furniture. But today I like a bed, a house, and stability. The idea of driving all the time is nothing I want to do either. If it works for others, good for them!

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

642 posts, read 127,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have relatives who live on a houseboat in Europe for several months a year. It is way more expensive than RV living but a relatively inexpensive way of visiting Europe. They spend quite a bit of time on the Seine in Paris.
There was a show by the narrowboat guy breaking down his expenses for a year. It was surprisingly cheap.

In England, there must be some way that the numbers of those houseboats are limited or I'm missing something. Given the cost of real estate, it looks like a no-brainer for a retiree there.

One thing that those canal people deal nicely with and that I think is the real downfall of van living, is the constant problem of where to park for the night.

Last edited by StrawberrySoup; Yesterday at 09:55 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM

12,233 posts, read 5,330,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
Although it might be ok for some people, I can't imagine living in a van or an RV at my age. When I was a young guy in my 20's I slept in my car, on the floor, on pool furniture. But today I like a bed, a house, and stability. The idea of driving all the time is nothing I want to do either. If it works for others, good for them!
That's where I'm at in my life as well. The thought of living in a van and moving from place to place for an indefinite amount of time has zero appeal to me. I don't find it exciting at all. I find it about as appealing as going to the dentist for a root canal.
That said, we're not all the same and while I need my space, stability and security, others don't.

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

4,813 posts, read 3,340,156 times
I've camped in my younger (married) life. The one thing that keeps me from wanting to do that again is I really want my own bathroom. I like privacy, not having to walk a distance to the community bathroom, and of course cleanliness. I'm not really picky about other stuff, but that's my one thing I need and want.

Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

20,202 posts, read 19,202,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
There was a show by the narrowboat guy breaking down his expenses for a year. It was surprisingly cheap.

In England, there must be some way that the numbers of those houseboats are limited or I'm missing something. Given the cost of real estate, it looks like a no-brainer for a retiree there.

One thing that those canal people deal nicely with and that I think is the real downfall of van living, is the constant problem of where to park for the night.
dh is constantly watching narrowboat guys on You Tube. Cruising the Cut--he says that's the guy who has the information--or Journey with Jono. Anyway, he has an old friend back in the UK who just sold his house and bought a narrowboat. There's no limit as to who can do it. Narrowboats cost from 45,000 BPS (fixer upper) to a new (and too long to fit into some of the canals) 120,000 BPS, average cost is about 75,000 BPS.

He says some Americans live on narrowboats during the summer and come back over here for the winter. I think if we lived over there, we'd be living on a narrowboat and I think I would love it too. It sounds like a great retirement life. You take your home with you but it's a comfortable home, no driving, no worries about parking at night.

I had relatives who lived a lot of the time on their houseboat in Atlanta. That was expensive but it had all the comforts of home and they could dock wherever they wanted. England has a nicer climate and such a huge network of canals and the canals go to interesting cities and towns so it seems like it would be a lot more interesting and fun to do.

Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
dh is constantly watching narrowboat guys on You Tube. Cruising the Cut--he says that's the guy who has the information..

That's the one, although my wife was looking askance at the cassette toilet.

Somehow mobile living seems to always revolve around dealing with human waste, but I think that's the nature of the world generally.

Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

6,460 posts, read 4,869,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
That's the one, although my wife was looking askance at the cassette toilet.

Somehow mobile living seems to always revolve around dealing with human waste, but I think that's the nature of the world generally.
A few minutes a couple of times a week hardly makes it a central issue, especially when compared with visiting National Parks and other spectacular areas.

Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
A few minutes a couple of times a week hardly makes it a central issue, especially when compared with visiting National Parks and other spectacular areas.
Bathrooms always strike me as the central design problem on RVs and live-aboard boats (it most certainly is for vans). Given a cleansheet design, I'd spend more money/space there and less on countertops and dining booths and sleeping 12. Mind you, I'm referring to fulltimers.

The narrowboat guy did mention an interesting problem I'd never thought of. The pump out black water style of boat evidently puts the tank under the bed. I had to crack up with the thought of hearing a romantic slosh slosh slosh under the bed when the boat gently rocks at night, although there are certainly advantages over pooping in a bucket (ie. a cassette toilet).

Maybe the answer is the Ronco Mr. Fusion, and then using electricity to zap the terlet contents into a rather tame dust.

Old Today, 12:02 AM

20,202 posts, read 19,202,161 times
We now have an invitation from dh's narrowboat friend to
come visit him. More and more people are taking on this lifestyle. I wish we were going soon but now it might be 6 months or more away.

I'll have to investigate the MOST important aspect: the toilet, lol. Otherwise, it sounds like a relaxing, economical, easy lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or