U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

5,026 posts, read 3,523,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Weather should not be an issue. I moved with the seasons. Death Valley and surrounding areas were great for the winter months. In the mid summer I was in the Canadian Rockies.

Costs can be extremely low. If money is a major issue you can have a free place to stay and get paid as a campground host.
Like so many people, I lost a lot in the recession. I was laid off at age 55 and couldn't find anything that was close to my salary, so I worked as a temporary employee at less than 1/2 my old salary.

I then couldn't afford my mortgage so I lost my house. I used my savings to try to save it, but that didn't work. Thankfully I had family members who let me stay with them.

I was extremely happy to see age 62 and received social security. The one good thing that came out of all this was I reverted back to the frugal lifestyle I had way back when. It has allowed me to build up my savings. Not a lot, or I wouldn't have been able to get on section 8, but enough that I can buy a van after trading in my car if I decide to go that route.

My lease isn't up until next May so I have time to really think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

200 posts, read 117,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I will be going in my car and taking a tent.
Camped using tents for years and loved it but don't know if I'd be comfortable doing it alone today. I think I'd set up a campsite but sleep in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
There's so many places I would love to see and explore. Right now I'm watching utubes on the lifestyle and am envious of the freedom and the beauty people see as well as the adventure.

But, if I could do the lifestyle for at least a year or two, I might be able to save enough for a mobile home. I would still have lot rent but it's something to think about.
Might be fun as an adventure, don't think I'd want to make it a permanent lifestyle like some do.

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,177,902 times
If I lived alone, I could do this and very likely enjoy it. Owning a ton of stuff isn't something I do, so paring everything down to be able to carry it with me would be great.

Two problems for me...where to park it, and I like having a real bathroom/shower, so probably not.

Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

6,423 posts, read 4,834,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
If I lived alone, I could do this and very likely enjoy it. Owning a ton of stuff isn't something I do, so paring everything down to be able to carry it with me would be great.

Two problems for me...where to park it, and I like having a real bathroom/shower, so probably not.
Again, an easy solution is to be a campground host. You can get paid for it and can be in a campground with decent showers and toilets.

What you end up doing as a campground host can be highly variable. I only did it a month. I got $15 plus utilities. I had to enforce quiet hours, report an issues to the rangers, and keep track of the number of vacant sites. I had to do some actual work. Every couple of days, I shoveled out the ashes from the campfire rings. That took about an hour.

Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

1,322 posts, read 599,617 times
I am considering this as well. At this point I am considering doing it just for the first two years of retirement. I am a single person and I think this really could work well for me.
- I dislike people so I enjoy spending 99% of my day alone.
- I dislike dressing up so a jean and t shirt is fine for me.
- I really hate everything about living in a home. Using appliances, having to take care of things, worrying about Radon, blah blah blah.
- I hate having to worry about bad weather. What would happen to my joy if I could just up and move away from the bad weather.
- i have always enjoyed small spaces. Living in a studio or a bedroom.
- I hate to cook so for me a peanut butter sandwich is fine.
- It just seems like a way to get rid of 50% of the hassle in life.
- I do enjoy the idea that it would come some expenses I resent having to pay -- such as property tax and condo fee. Never mind the insane cost of renting.
- it isn't really a financial thing as I will be getting a pension but just think how much money I can save in those two years.

And if in the end I didn't enjoy it, I could just continue with what my plans were before... getting a rental.

Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM

4,748 posts, read 3,311,054 times
Hi meo, I know you have been thinking about this for a while.

Like you, I've had dreams of living a different lifestyle, tho personally I would not do a tent. It isn't my "thing", but it sounds like it is yours.

I am happy you were able to move into a section 8 apartment. Good for you.

Don't know about AZ, but here in NY a person has a long wait to get a section 8 apartment. There are more people needing them than are available, so they have to wait till one becomes available.

I can't remember your age, but think you are somewhere in your 60s. Unexpected health issues can occur that could put you in a very difficult spot.

I admire the faith you have in yourself to do this adventure. I had similar beliefs about myself and what I could do.

Now in my late 70s, I've had some difficult health issues and realize how important my apartment and location are to me. And once understanding that, I've been blessed with a lot of peace.

Of course this is your life and I hope you get to do all the things you want to do. But I do encourage you think about the whole picture. Make a list of pros and cons. Figure out what you can do if something went wrong.

Best of luck to you!

Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

53 posts, read 1,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post

The Van-Lifestyle really looks enriching and satisfying, don't ya think?

The two best days of a camping trip are the day you get there and they day you leave.

Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

6,423 posts, read 4,834,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaminade View Post
The two best days of a camping trip are the day you get there and they day you leave.
My camping trips are usually to Yellowstone, Glacier, Olympic, Canyonlands, Arches, Bryce, Zion National Parks and similar places. I guess some people just do not like natural beauty.

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

3,744 posts, read 1,917,111 times
Good luck....I've been watching videos of Caravan Carolyn for a couple of years, seen what she went through day-to-day. It's not all wonderful.

The most I would do is sell my house and move to a condo if my spouse passes before me. I don't think I would do well taking care of the house/yard.

Still leaning to moving to Santa Fe.... But my spouse is probably healthier than me now that he had stents placed in April. Just a dream, probably stay a dream.

Oh well.

Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

15,259 posts, read 8,676,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Again, an easy solution is to be a campground host. You can get paid for it and can be in a campground with decent showers and toilets.

What you end up doing as a campground host can be highly variable. I only did it a month. I got $15 plus utilities. I had to enforce quiet hours, report an issues to the rangers, and keep track of the number of vacant sites. I had to do some actual work. Every couple of days, I shoveled out the ashes from the campfire rings. That took about an hour.
Any idea of how many of these positions are available versus those people who are applying? Enough so there are some in the part of the country you're actually in at the moment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or