U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

8,111 posts, read 4,961,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I couldn't see living in a van and staying in one place. If I had to live in a van it would be for the purpose the OP originally stated: to travel. And, of course, I prefer a little trailer or popup camper because I can leave it and take the car to go where I want to. Come back to the camper/trailer at night to eat and sleep.

And, a purpose made camper gets you closer to nature than a closed in van. A camper has big windows that open to reveal screens so you get fresh and and cool night air for sleeping, the sounds of the woods, and so on
If you do something that's a half-measure at best, like buying a cargo van with no amenities, yeah I can see that.

My Roadtrek came with a zip-in rear screen so the back doors can be left open, the screened side window vents open and the overhead fan on low, so there's plenty of ventilation. I have to be careful about not letting in a lot of damp air overnight, though, not good for my lungs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM

6,435 posts, read 4,837,916 times
People who have no experience can imagine all sorts of negatives. Using the dump station is not a big deal, or in my case after the first few hundred times. The queen sized multilayered foam mattress in the camper is way more comfortable than the one we bought for the house. I can deal with a 3 burner stove instead of 5 burners at home.

Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

5,035 posts, read 3,526,157 times
When I first started investigating a different lifestyle I was looking into tiny homes. Not just because I really don't need the space, but for economics and living a simpler life.

Somehow I was directed to cheaprvliving.com. I'd never envisioned living out of a vehicle. It made me almost wish I hadn't bought my Nissan Cube. The Cube is great for mileage and is the most comfortable car I've ever driven but, you can't tow anything with it. It's a great traveling car, which I found out going from Minnesota to Arizona.

But, one of the things I hadn't even thought of was a Casita or trailer set up like that. If I had a car that could tow I'd probably already have bought one. Instead I bought a tent, sleeping cot and other things needed for camping. Since I'm a thrifty person, everything was either on sale or bought at thrift stores or garage sales. I'm not out much money even if I don't use the things much.

And dreaming costs nothing. For me, this is a lifestyle I never thought of. I didn't even start exploring different areas to live until my son died. I assumed I would live in Minnesota my whole life.

Oh, I started exploring the idea of other places once I started receiving social security but knew I didn't have the funds, without dipping into my emergency fund, to do a lot of traveling. I narrowed my search to just a few places.

But I long to visit Florida, Maine, Louisiana, Tennessee and Kentucky. It never occurred to me that I could until I stumbled onto RV/van websites.

I don't want an RV, even a small one. The small trailers do intrigue me though. And, as Caravan Carolyn has shown us, these can be parked at a RV or mobile home park. The one she chose, the lot rent is $300 a month. Much less than an apartment, even on section 8, which is a third of your income.

And a small trailer can be easily moved, unlike a mobile home. There are some that don't cost a lot as well as some that cost an arm and a leg. The choice is up to the individual.

The op is speculating, as I am. Exploring different options in life is very interesting.

Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

20,117 posts, read 19,112,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
When I first started investigating a different lifestyle I was looking into tiny homes. Not just because I really don't need the space, but for economics and living a simpler life.

Somehow I was directed to cheaprvliving.com. I'd never envisioned living out of a vehicle. It made me almost wish I hadn't bought my Nissan Cube. The Cube is great for mileage and is the most comfortable car I've ever driven but, you can't tow anything with it. It's a great traveling car, which I found out going from Minnesota to Arizona.

But, one of the things I hadn't even thought of was a Casita or trailer set up like that. If I had a car that could tow I'd probably already have bought one. Instead I bought a tent, sleeping cot and other things needed for camping. Since I'm a thrifty person, everything was either on sale or bought at thrift stores or garage sales. I'm not out much money even if I don't use the things much.

And dreaming costs nothing. For me, this is a lifestyle I never thought of. I didn't even start exploring different areas to live until my son died. I assumed I would live in Minnesota my whole life.

Oh, I started exploring the idea of other places once I started receiving social security but knew I didn't have the funds, without dipping into my emergency fund, to do a lot of traveling. I narrowed my search to just a few places.

But I long to visit Florida, Maine, Louisiana, Tennessee and Kentucky. It never occurred to me that I could until I stumbled onto RV/van websites.

I don't want an RV, even a small one. The small trailers do intrigue me though. And, as Caravan Carolyn has shown us, these can be parked at a RV or mobile home park. The one she chose, the lot rent is $300 a month. Much less than an apartment, even on section 8, which is a third of your income.

And a small trailer can be easily moved, unlike a mobile home. There are some that don't cost a lot as well as some that cost an arm and a leg. The choice is up to the individual.

The op is speculating, as I am. Exploring different options in life is very interesting.
Thing is now, you have section 8 and that's hard to come by. I don't think they allow you to be away for more than a month. They think that if you are away that long, then you don't need section 8. Kind of stingy of them, especially when I knew a guy from the UK who had (whatever they call it over there=subsidized housing. He was a retired lawyer who had worked pro bono too much!) but he had an affordable apartment and I don't think there were limits on how much he had to be there.

But you could still use your tent and drive to FL in the winter and back. Then use your tent again to go to Maine in the summer and back. You could even buy a cute little second hand trailer and do the same thing in more comfort but more expense too. One month one year, one month the next year. Might be best to only take a month anyway because it might be awfully tiring. I wouldn't do it alone either; I'd have someone with me just in case. If you chose to live in a travel trailer full time, you'd lose section 8, as you know.

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

41 posts, read 42,411 times
Default That's the only type of RV'ing that appeals to me

We live. in far western MA but travel frequently to the west, southwest and west coast. I follow a woman who just gave up her job and is living in a truck camper and traveling for hiking full time. We had tended to laugh at giant RV's and couldn't imagine driving that around.

But a truck camper is genius. I hadn't actually ever known about them. I don't think they are as popular on the east coast and honestly I've only imagined using it out west rather than back here. There are so many places I love that aren't accessible to most RV's and my days of hiking/backpacking long distances are behind me.

I can see the appeal of finding great free or cheap places to camp in national forests, BLM lands etc. Park in a beautiful spot and then explore. I haven't had time to really explore the practicalities in terms of size, wet or dry bath, generator or solar etc. but I am starting to.

I'm also not sure what size we'd need. My husband is 6'5" and so he takes up considerable space-he's in good shape though so he can squeeze around things.

A truck camper sounds like a great option and I plan to further explore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Last Fall I spent an evening with Teri Lou. She decked out her van and it looks great but I would not want to live that way. I have a truck camper and it has two absolute essentials: a toilet and a shower (actually both in the same room). I hate using public rest rooms and especially outhouses. I do navy style showers and if water is scarce I can get by with 1 gallon of warm water for my shower.

My wife and I sold the house upon retiring from work and traveled for 2 years. It worked out well except my wife was determined to settle again near the grandkids. Our truck camper has a furnace, A/C with generator, queen sized mattress, 3 burner stove, refrigerator, microwave (rarely used), dinette, TV (never used), and plenty of storage. I was out for 4 months this past Fall and am planning another long trip for next Winter/Spring.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or concerns. There are also plenty of resources elsewhere. I recommend RV.net.

Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshiregrl View Post

A truck camper sounds like a great option and I plan to further explore it.
Go visit Truck Camper Warehouse and talk with Bill Penney. He has a huge inventory and years of experience. He is an honest dealer who will give you great advice about various brands, models and options.

Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,180,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
This is ridiculous. I live in a 34' motorhome for about half of every year. Once you are set up to stay for a few days, you need to mosey on out and pull a handle on the grey or black tank valves, every so often. As for the "foul smelling hose, heavy rubber gloves" Pleeeease. You put on a pair of $ 0.10 disposable gloves, hook-up the hose, pull the dump valve, and your done. You make it sound FAR, FAR more dramatic and gross that it really is. You don't lick the hose.

There is a world of difference between walking past ANY source of open sewage, an enjoying an RV. That's just weird.

I'd rather just flush.

No gloves needed.

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I'd rather just flush.

No gloves needed.
I also flush my camper toilet. I am not sure I understand how they did it but it flushes really well with very little water. We could save huge amounts of water if regular toilets worked as well.

When it comes to dumping, I haven't used gloves in years. Those are for beginners who don't understand the process. BTW, I dump my toilet and put everything away in about 2 minutes. That is really a minor nuisance in order to be able to travel and have your own toilet. Way better than using toilets that are not your own.

Years ago I knew someone who had a rabbit in his apartment. He used the same sponge to clean up in the kitchen and to clean up after the rabbit. Whenever I use a public restroom, I think about the rabbit sponge and wonder if the facilities are clean or just look clean.

Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

40 posts, read 6,413 times
The only way to know is to try a short trip.

Before doing anything go to one of the rental agencies and try one. It may be a little expensive depending on the time of year but it will be well worth your investment not to make a mistake. Perhaps time it to go to the RTR in Arizona next year and link up with some other newbies.

A van conversion is very expensive , you will be shocked. Maintenance is more costly . People buy these and then come off the road and they depreciate fast. Today's good enough does not work tomorrow. Sanitation and claustrophobia will be an issue with heat and cooling.

Being able to stand means more than you think it will. Most of the road warriors chase 70 degrees and while boondocking off grid sounds good it is not always available. Camping parks can be as expensive as hotel rooms in some cases.

If you follow many of the utubers of limited means you will see they switch out their vehicles quit a bit and most go larger. I have been watching a few for several years as they are great pathfinders for places to visit if you like road trips and off the beaten path locations as I do.

Try the 19 footer. Not that much bigger than a full size truck. It drives easier, can fit in almost any normal parking, equal gas mileage in a few cases to some vans and better ground clearance. If you can't make it with that then you know a cargo van will not work. Good luck.

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv-ren...les/compact-rv

Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

32,232 posts, read 20,325,858 times
Nope, nuh-uh, heck no.

Some sort of RV? Sure, maybe for a couple years max. I go no where that does not have a toilet and running HOT water. I will stay a week max somewhere without a full kitchen, comfortable bed, wifi, etc.

Seriously, someone would have to drive behind me in a truck with all my stuff.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or