Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 08:31 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times

Advertisements

No way, no how. I wasn't a vagabond before retiring and I won't be one afterward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 09:16 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
It's something I've been contemplating for some time. I'm still up in the air about it. One thing I do plan on doing is going to the RTR this year. Check out cheaprvliving.com for details. I will be going in my car and taking a tent.

I want to check out the people, talk to folks who aren't doing videos and just living the lifestyle and hear their realities.

One thing holding me back is that I was just approved for section 8 housing and moved into a senior complex. The apartment is reasonable but utilities are a bit high so it's not quite the savings I thought it would be. Still a lot less than a regular apartment.

What I might do, and I'll know if it's feasible for me at/after the RTR, is to just travel in my car and do the tent thing. My car is a bit small for sleeping I think but, it gets 30 miles to the gallon and is very comfortable to drive. Again, I'll have to check it out.

The thing with me is, outside of living in San Francisco for 3 years and now Arizona for a year and a half, I've never been anywhere. I lived in Minnesota most of my life and, being a single parent for 18+ years I didn't take vacations as I couldn't afford them and keep a roof over our head and food on the table.

There's so many places I would love to see and explore. Right now I'm watching utubes on the lifestyle and am envious of the freedom and the beauty people see as well as the adventure.

But, there are drawbacks too, weather being the major concern. I'm not too concerned about the showering aspect. A lot of people sign up for planet fitness, which is a realistic choice. Cooking wouldn't be a problem as I have a campstove, small table and other accessories for camping.

But, if I could do the lifestyle for at least a year or two, I might be able to save enough for a mobile home. I would still have lot rent but it's something to think about.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:28 AM

914 posts, read 642,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
It's something I've been contemplating for some time. I'm still up in the air about it. One thing I do plan on doing is going to the RTR this year. Check out cheaprvliving.com for details. I will be going in my car and taking a tent.

I want to check out the people, talk to folks who aren't doing videos and just living the lifestyle and hear their realities.

One thing holding me back is that I was just approved for section 8 housing and moved into a senior complex. The apartment is reasonable but utilities are a bit high so it's not quite the savings I thought it would be. Still a lot less than a regular apartment.

What I might do, and I'll know if it's feasible for me at/after the RTR, is to just travel in car and do the tent thing. My car is a bit small for sleeping I think. Again, I'll have to check it out.

The thing with me is, outside of living in San Francisco for 3 wonderful years and now Arizona for a year and a half, I've never been anywhere. I lived in Minnesota most of my life and, being a single parent for 18+ years I didn't take vacations as I couldn't afford them and keep a roof over our head and food on the table.

There's so many places I would love to see and explore. Right now I'm watching utubes on the lifestyle and am envious of the freedom and the beauty people see as well as the adventure.

But, there are drawbacks too, weather being the major concern. I'm not too concerned about the showering aspect. A lot of people sign up for planet fitness, which is a realistic choice. Cooking wouldn't be a problem as I have a campstove, small table and other accessories for camping.

But, if I could do the lifestyle for at least a year or two, I might be able to save enough for a mobile home. I would still have lot rent but it's something to think about.
thanks for your post. Maybe I'll try the RTR some year. I didn't have children and have always had a good salary, so I've traveled extensively, including domestically. Though I'm glad I was able to travel, I'm most grateful to live in NorCal (if I continue to afford the outrageous taxation) where natural beauty abounds. There's so much to see right here at home. Good luck to you!

Old 08-18-2019, 09:31 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

Weather should not be an issue. I moved with the seasons. Death Valley and surrounding areas were great for the winter months. In the mid summer I was in the Canadian Rockies.

Costs can be extremely low. If money is a major issue you can have a free place to stay and get paid as a campground host.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:31 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
As I continue to plan for retirement, I struggle with all the options. Keep the house and spend my leisure time doing gardening and taking evening strolls after dinner like all the other old people? Move to Mexico or some other 3rd-world country to live an adventurous primitive life on the cheap? Invest in a decked-out van and live in any regions you want when you want with other van-lifers with similar values?

Just for fun I'm entertaining the idea of van life. Here's one of many videos that I found inspiring. This "Van Lifer" makes me think of Amy Schumer and her style of humor. Her witty remarks get better as the video goes along. In fact, most of the videos I've watched on this topic (Van Life) appeal to me in a way that living in a foreign 3rd-world country does not (I've done for a few years and decided I love living in the USA with all its issues).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--9uHomLa_A

Here's another video where this DIY built a "premium" van-home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owddK_gIyPA

These are people who really love nature and people. One of the things they point out is the struggle to separate themselves from the homeless populations who also dwell along various waterfronts throughout the US. The 'Van Lifestyle' population are not derelicts of society. They are people who want to enrich and engage in life and treat the environment with respect. They socialize with others of like minds, live in the present, and coexist with nature.

The Van-Lifestyle really looks enriching and satisfying, don't ya think?
Actually we do have a number of true homeless people who live in vans or motor homes. Hopefully for you it wil be a temporary lifestyle

Old 08-18-2019, 09:37 AM

914 posts, read 642,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I could maybe do this, but only if I had a good amount of funds banked/monthly income. 1) to have an exit plan if I got sick or tired of it or just too old and 2) to stay in a hotel if I got the flu, medical etc.
There is so much I haven't seen. Almost all of it in fact!
I think it would be fun for a year or two; my biggest problem is the bathroom issue.
I know you wouldn't necessarily be doing it out of economic necessity but a lot of women, younger women, are doing it for that reason. Its getting a lot of hype for sure.
Good point, you'd have to have an exit plan. I guess renting out your current residence so you'll have a place to come home to and make some $$.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:04 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
As I continue to plan for retirement, I struggle with all the options. Keep the house and spend my leisure time doing gardening and taking evening strolls after dinner like all the other old people? Move to Mexico or some other 3rd-world country to live an adventurous primitive life on the cheap? Invest in a decked-out van and live in any regions you want when you want with other van-lifers with similar values?

Just for fun I'm entertaining the idea of van life. Here's one of many videos that I found inspiring. This "Van Lifer" makes me think of Amy Schumer and her style of humor. Her witty remarks get better as the video goes along. In fact, most of the videos I've watched on this topic (Van Life) appeal to me in a way that living in a foreign 3rd-world country does not (I've done for a few years and decided I love living in the USA with all its issues).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--9uHomLa_A

Here's another video where this DIY built a "premium" van-home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owddK_gIyPA

These are people who really love nature and people. One of the things they point out is the struggle to separate themselves from the homeless populations who also dwell along various waterfronts throughout the US. The 'Van Lifestyle' population are not derelicts of society. They are people who want to enrich and engage in life and treat the environment with respect. They socialize with others of like minds, live in the present, and coexist with nature.

Take off the rose-tinted glasses and keep thinking about ALL aspects of living out of, basically, a car. Including the negative aspects. You will have to keep moving around to avoid being convicted of things like overstaying camping limits, trespassing if you “camp” on private property, loitering, and probably a lot of other things. Where would you shower, use a real toilet (dumping the contents of a portable unit is illegal), etc.

And like the above poster, I’ve seen several vans and RVs in my area and where we lived previously that soon became clear belong to homeless people taking advantage of loopholes in laws or outright flouting them. It doesn’t exactly make people want to welcome them.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:28 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
We tried thinking about sleeping in our SUV which is huge, instead of camping, but couldn’t solve the idea of where to go to restroom at night. That’s why we rent a cabin. Even that was uncomfortable, no A/C. But we had a fan on the whole night.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:48 AM

130,287 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I am far too fond of my own bathroom, to consider living in a souped up car. But if it floats your boat, go for it.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:05 AM

408 posts, read 259,759 times
Quote:

Since you asked, I think that no, no it doesn't look either enriching and satisfying. If it works for you, great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement