Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 07:27 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times

Advertisements

I'm not certain who you were targeting, kentucky62, but it's certainly an interesting site.

As for me, since I'm in the investigating/dreaming state I plan on
going to the RTR with the Cube and a tent. I was planning on going last year but I just wasn't prepared. I know a lot more now and will be better prepared. I may just go to the women's rtr, rather than the combined one. I really don't like crowds much and the women's was smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Nope, nuh-uh, heck no.

Some sort of RV? Sure, maybe for a couple years max. I go no where that does not have a toilet and running HOT water. I will stay a week max somewhere without a full kitchen, comfortable bed, wifi, etc.

Seriously, someone would have to drive behind me in a truck with all my stuff.
You are so funny. Actually, when I was younger, my idea of camping and roughing it, was a cabin. Even then it had to be by a lake.

Times change. If I hadn't had family to live with when I lost my house, I could have become homeless. It really makes you stop and think. I pictured my retirement as being comfortable in my little house, snuggling on the sofa as I watched the snow cone down, going to the family farm in the summer to fish, and just relaxing. I had no intention of moving out of Minnesota.

What's happened in my life since the recession has changed me in many ways. I think for the better. I was never brave enough to travel by myself...until I finally did it. I never really gave a thought to moving to another state, away from family, and then I did.

And I am so glad I have done these things. The mountains and the sunsets are so beautiful. Yes, you can't miss what you don't know, but I am so glad that I did, and do, see these things every day.

Now I have a hunger to see more. I want to taste the seafood in Florida, Maine and Louisiana. I want to see the mountains and the falls in Tennessee. I want to drive along the Oregon coast.

Seeing these things on utube has given me a thirst to see them for myself.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:21 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I've never heard of this RTR by that name. It took me a couple of tries to google it. I've been meaning to go to Quartzite during that timeframe, but have no place to stay. Next fall I plan on bringing my trailer down to AZ, where I spend my winters, so I'll definitely try to make it in 2021.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:54 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
DH is planning to go to QuartzFest, a week-long ham radio boondocking event in (where else?) Quartzsite near the end of January. I'll be wishing him well from the comfort of our home. "Week-long boondocking" -- not for me.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:43 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post
Showering, general hygiene
Cooking/eating
Cleaning utensils and your living space
Do you really want to “live” in that confined of a space?
Weather dependency
Mail (where does it get sent?)
Income tax (residency)
Nomadics can adapt to many variations.
"Smart" wanderers know that gas stations that have car washes have lots of HOT WATER, and one can enjoy an early morning wash down before the rush.

Cooking can span the gamut of Coleman (gas) stoves, to propane, to a cooking grate in a public park. Or a solar powered oven. Or a campfire in the woods.

Mail: care of General Delivery, Main Post Office in Town, State, Zip (and you can leave forwarding instructions, too)

Income tax: [look both ways, back out of the room and whisper : we don' pay no stinkin' taxes]
LOL - income tax is an excise on the exercise of privileges. If you're not exercising privileges, you're a non-taxpayer and not liable.

I'd prefer to be an inhabitant (non-resident) domiciled upon private property. Non-residents are absolved of most state obligations. Check your own state constitution and statutes to verify.

If you want to dispense with a vehicle, you can travel with a camping hammock.
[Hennessy hammocks] Hennessy has the patent on the "step in, sit down" design. Great for folks with bad backs who can't maneuver into regular hammocks.

When getting involved in ultralight weight backpacking, there are a few tricks, to boost comfort or cut weight.
The web is full of advice on the subject. Pick and choose what makes sense to you.

Clothing: merino wool (!?). Nuff said. Until you research it yourself, you won't believe me. 90% of your minimal clothing load should be merino wool if you can afford it. Socks. Underwear. Any place where regular itchy wool would not be tolerable. Outer layers can be plain quality wool. Wool is the travelers "secret weapon" - comfortable in cold and hot conditions (really!).

[look up tropical weight / summer wool suits, for inspiration]

If you can find a merino Union suit, you're set. Our ancestors endured months of cold and unwashed clothing by relying on wool long johns.

Food: If in a cool / cold climate, check out home made pemmican or KETO friendly equivalent (summer sausage, pepperoni, salami).
Hard tack is another long standing source of carbohydrates.
Survival Mode:

• Sprouts (seeds, beans, etc) cover the fresh vegetable requirement.
• Pemmican covers the protein and fat supply.
• Hard tack can cover the carbohydrate supply.
Hard tack is basically a large, dry cracker (flour, water, salt, baked dry).
Stores indefinitely (if kept dry, etc). And needs rehydration to render it edible.
May be the source of the fondness for crackers in soups, etc.
http://www.survivopedia.com/ho-to-ma...dtack-at-home/

Last edited by jetgraphics; 08-20-2019 at 04:15 AM..

Old 08-20-2019, 08:28 AM

Jetgraphics- You are a fountain of information! I see by your location you are in prepperland, so it makes sense that you would have studied and know what to do. I have a great deal of respect for preppers.

The only thing I can contribute is on the mail situation. Cheaprvliving gives good advice on mail forwarding places.

I was unaware of many of the things you mentioned. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:13 AM

330 posts, read 178,856 times
Might be fun and interesting for some, but not my cup of tea. I don't want to die in a van.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:20 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Where / what is prepperland??

Old 08-20-2019, 10:29 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
Might be fun and interesting for some, but not my cup of tea. I don't want to die in a van.
I've had a few moments in 116 degree weather where I was certain I would die if the A/C conked out.

Reminds me, I've got to get the generator serviced, so I could at least run coach A/C off that.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:34 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I've had a few moments in 116 degree weather where I was certain I would die if the A/C conked out.

Reminds me, I've got to get the generator serviced, so I could at least run coach A/C off that.
But it's a dry heat, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement