Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 04:00 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
As the OP says they are in Denmark, normally they should contact the US Embassy in Denmark for assistance. However the website for the Embassy in Denmark refers you to the one in Norway for its SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU)

https://dk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...cial-security/

https://no.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...cial-security/
Yes, I have always been in contact with them (Oslo).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 04:42 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Stinks of scam. Throw it away
I would not throw this away until you investigate this matter.

Things that come to mind: Could someone have been using your social security number to file claims?

There are other things that could cause this but either way I would contact the office, (not on the letter but look it up on your own) such as overpayments, change in your information you failed to provide and so forth.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:04 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
You've been collecting for a long time. I have a friend who was getting disability and there was some issue (I don't know what exactly) related to the renewal of her claim. She may or may not have known about this, but the checks kept coming. Later she got her benefits reduced in some kind of a claw-back of overpaid benefits. Could it be something like that? I don't know whether she was guilty of fraud (knowingly blowing off renewal requirements?) or whether she was really clueless about some requirements... either way, SS wanted the dough back and they got it.

Another friend had her benefits reduced for a different reason. She was collecting spousal benefits before full retirement age and working part time. Above a certain income (not very high!) SS will reduce spousal payments if you're under full retirement age. It takes awhile though for SS to catch up with your income earning if you don't report it yourself. She went about a year and a half both collecting SS and also working, so the claw-back of over-payments was pretty steep for a while (I think she said they cut her benefit by half) until she'd paid back the over-payments.
I get social security disability, last year they reassessed my case to make sure I was still disabled. From what I remember, it was a 10 year review. I some how missed the envelope they sent in June, my deposit wasn't made in September which made me run over to my local office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
52 years on welfare......
They only give 5 years max per person. Someone I know was on it; once their kid turned 5 it was cut. They told me they can never reapply for it which I don't believe because there are people on it longer then this person was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I would not throw this away until you investigate this matter.

Things that come to mind: Could someone have been using your social security number to file claims?

There are other things that could cause this but either way I would contact the office, (not on the letter but look it up on your own) such as overpayments, change in your information you failed to provide and so forth.
Agree. What if someone is using their SS number to collect benefits?

Old 08-20-2019, 11:47 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I was never disabled. I worked in the US from the age of 21-53, before I moved to Denmark. The US does not have a reciprocal agreement with Denmark regarding SS, so none of that work qualified for US SS benefits.
This is the social security agreement between the US and Denmark. https://www.ssa.gov/international/Ag...s/denmark.html

Old 08-20-2019, 12:06 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Can we take a timeout to clear up some confusion? I gather that several readers have assumed disability, since the OP stated...

Quote:
I have been receiving benefits since 1967!
Thus, the comments about 52 years of payments. However, the author of OP subsequently clarified that....

Quote:
I am not disabled, and I have always filed status changes through the SS office in Oslo, since I came to Denmark in 1996.
Quote:
I was never disabled. I worked in the US from the age of 21-53, before I moved to Denmark. The US does not have a reciprocal agreement with Denmark regarding SS, so none of that work qualified for US SS benefits.
Is there a chance that "1967" was a typo? Or that "receiving benefits" really means "paying into Social Security since 1967?" If not, I don't understand what is going on (and suspect I am not alone)....

Old 08-20-2019, 02:12 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
The letters are coming from the Office of Central Operations

They are withholding "overpaid social security benefits". I have been receiving benefits since 1967! The cuts are very large.

I am told to contact the Inspector General's Fraud Hotline, if I have questions. Fraud?

What's going on? Has anyone else received any of these letters.
Fraud is common.

So are mistakes.

From January 1940 through March 2014, Social Security used to publish something called the Social Security Death Index.

It was all the people died and were also receiving Social Security benefits. It was discontinued for identity theft reasons, but they do intend to resume publishing after a waiting period of 20 years.

Anyway, real live living flesh and blood people ended up on the Social Security Death Index due to a typographical error.

If you search the internet, you can read the horror stories and the lengths that these people had to go through to get their names removed from the Social Security Death Index.

All those people ultimately ended up getting their congress-critter and senators involved. In one instance it took 8 years to correct the mistake and it generally took several years to fix it.

If you don't understand the implications, the Death Index was published on CD-ROM and available to anyone willing to pay for it.

The three major credit reporting agencies were subscribers and they would upload the data to their credit files.

So, now your credit report shows you're dead, and your credit card issuers all cancel your credit cards.

You now have no credit cards, and you can't get new credit cards, because your credit report says you're dead.

Banks would close or freeze the accounts leaving them with no money.

Their mortgages and auto loans got screwed up, and often their cars were repossessed and they can't buy a new car, because their credit report says they're dead and they can't get money from their bank account.

Their employers are still withholding FICA payroll taxes, but that money is being credited to a general account instead of their account, so their wage histories are all screwed up.

Bureaucracies like Social Security are loathe to admit they made any error or committed any wrong-doing and at the first whiff of something wrong, they close ranks and march in lock-step.

Social Security adamantly refused to admit it made a mistake, and it took congressional involvement to ultimately fix it while those people suffered for years.

Anyway, the point is Social Security does make mistakes and a mistake could give the appearance that you have been fraudulently collecting benefits since 1967 when in fact you have not.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
https://www.disabilitybenefitscenter...ral-operations

The primary responsibilities handled by the Office of Central Operations include maintainng and establishing the necessary records used in making decisions on Social Security Disability claims and appeals. The data compiled by the Office of Central Operations is used to help determine whether a Social Security Disability claim should be approved or denied. It is also used to determine if any changes should be made to Social Security Disability benefits; including raising, lowering, continuing or stopping.

The Office of Central Operations often helps with the collection of Social Security Disability benefits that have been overpaid. You can expect them to contact you if you have received Social Security Disability benefits to which you were not entitled. In such cases, you will receive a notice regarding how much you were overpaid, giving you some options regarding how you can take care of the matter.

The above is from the link!
Not regular SSA benefits then but based on retiring based on disability
That means a medical assessment
Call them
Call an attorney first that deals with issues like this
And look up the number on Google—not from the letter

Old 08-20-2019, 06:37 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Your husband's income doesn't figure into it? I guess I don't understand how it works.
Doesn't seem like there's a husband.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:44 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Not regular SSA benefits then but based on retiring based on disability
That means a medical assessment
Call them
Call an attorney first that deals with issues like this
And look up the number on Google—not from the letter
I think you quoted the wrong person!

Old 08-20-2019, 09:03 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Doesn't seem like there's a husband.

There was a few days ago.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/55910107-post2.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement