U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 08:34 PM

6,881 posts, read 3,806,893 times

Advertisements

It could be a mistake or they might just need clarification or greater detail on your situation. There has to be some sort of hearing or appeal that you should request to get to the bottom of the issue and have your say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,468,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
52 years on welfare......
I know the OP has clarified they are not disabled, but just want to comment on this post. SSDI is not “welfare”. It is insurance (that’s what the “I” is for) that you’ve paid into that is paying out because you’ve become disabled. You need to have paid in for 40 quarters (10 years) to be eligible. At FRA, it stops and you roll over to regular SS.

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

3,694 posts, read 1,627,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I know the OP has clarified they are not disabled, but just want to comment on this post. SSDI is not “welfare”. It is insurance (that’s what the “I” is for) that you’ve paid into that is paying out because you’ve become disabled. You need to have paid in for 40 quarters (10 years) to be eligible. At FRA, it stops and you roll over to regular SS.
Does the amount stay the same when it rolls over?

Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,065,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Does the amount stay the same when it rolls over?

Yes

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

21,593 posts, read 44,392,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Yes
No. It is often lower, sometimes substantially, as many transitioning from SSDI to SS have learned. SS statement of benefits clearly reflects this. I often noticed this anomaly when I worked - SSDI benefit much higher than projected SS benefit. SSDI is based on recent earnings. Someone who's been on SSDI for a long time won't have sufficient earnings to qualify for a similar SS benefit. I knew someone who collected SSDI for ten years, but then transitioned to SS at 65 and qualified for SSI (Supplemental Security Income) because of the lower SS benefit.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-over-ussi.htm

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

7,320 posts, read 12,825,429 times
Everyone is getting so far off track!! I don't understand all this talk of disability because the OP very very specifically said in post #40:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I was never disabled. I worked in the US from the age of 21-53, before I moved to Denmark. The US does not have a reciprocal agreement with Denmark regarding SS, so none of that work qualified for US SS benefits.
So age 21-53 would have been 1960s through 1990s that the OP worked in the U.S. (earning SS credits), then the OP moved to Denmark in 1996 (presumably age 53).

OP: any news on what is going on? (And it's frustrating that so many are ignoring your posts!)

Old Today, 12:08 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,065,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
No. It is often lower, sometimes substantially, as many transitioning from SSDI to SS have learned. SS statement of benefits clearly reflects this. I often noticed this anomaly when I worked - SSDI benefit much higher than projected SS benefit. SSDI is based on recent earnings. Someone who's been on SSDI for a long time won't have sufficient earnings to qualify for a similar SS benefit. I knew someone who collected SSDI for ten years, but then transitioned to SS at 65 and qualified for SSI (Supplemental Security Income) because of the lower SS benefit.

Everyone I know who aged out of SSD got the same amount of regular SS when it changed to that. Is this a recent change? Last 10 or 15 years?

Old Today, 08:33 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,468,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

Everything I’ve read online about SSDI says it just converts, unchanged, to SS at FRA. Same amount.

For instance: https://www.aarp.org/retirement/soci...ement-age.html

Maybe there was more to the story with the person you knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or