U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM

8,825 posts, read 10,961,126 times

Advertisements

The list includes things pre-retirees worry more about than folks who have already retired. Post-retirees worried about these things are likely those who were suddenly 'downsized' into retirement or who got wiped-out by significant (early) health issues or who suddenly lost their retirement savings late in their career.

It seems irrational for one nearing retirement to think, "I don't have enough to retire, but, I'll worry about that later" - or "I need to work a few more years to retire where I want to be, but, I'll go ahead and retire anyway and hope things work out. A few actual things retirees worry about are:

1). Will pension funds, social security and investments keep track with withdrawals, or inflation?
2). Will my health hold-out and do I have enough to cover unexpected major health expense?
3). Will I be able to handle the cost of long-term healthcare, if my spouse or I need it?
4). Have I adequately planned for inflation and potential tax increases?
5). What if health issues force ONE of us into Assisted Living or a Nursing Home?
6). Will we be able to stay in our own home, continue to drive, travel, etc.?
7). Will we outlive our resources?
8). Will we lose our independence or have to rely on our kids ... as we grow older?
9). How much can we afford to help our children/grandchildren if they face financial ruin?
10) Our neighborhood is aging and we don't feel as secure in our homes as we once did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM

91 posts, read 37,864 times
None whatsoever

Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

30,857 posts, read 49,748,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The list includes things pre-retirees worry more about than folks who have already retired.
In my career field, I have known many who had the mindset that they would never be able to support their families on their pension.

Quote:
... Post-retirees worried about these things are likely those who were suddenly 'downsized' into retirement or who got wiped-out by significant (early) health issues or who suddenly lost their retirement savings late in their career.
Looking back at the last 18 years of my retirement, I woudl say that I did not 'downsize' at all. I 'up-sized'.

Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM

1,547 posts, read 713,022 times
There are financial issues to consider, of course.

But the one about "not having a plan for free time" -- I find that astonishing.
That presumes we're lost w/o someone to tell us what to do for part of the day.

Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM

21,592 posts, read 44,361,671 times
Only possible regret is not downsizing earlier. Although I thought about it, didn't want a condo, had no compelling reason. Was very content until two years ago - now we have too many kids, especially next door (elderly neighbor of 40 years died) - who are magnets for other kids. Parents bought a property totally unsuited to their three very active athletic youngsters (no backyard) who play every ball known to man and would use their front yard and mine if I hadn't planted twelve arbor vitae along property line last spring to keep 'em out. 90% successful - they still kick the ball through trees and run through the trees into my yard to retrieve their balls. Last year I and my yard guy found beachballs in window wells, tennis balls in back yard, soccer balls everywhere.

Younger families don't respect boundaries. Latest example, circumvent no yard and tree for their kids by hanging a swing from an upper branch of a city tree located between walk and street, swing overhangs public walk, people now walking in road to avoid the swing. Had I done this back in the day (70's) when my son was small, neighbors would have had no hesitation telling me I couldn't do this and would have called the cops citing "public nuisance." It would never have occurred to me to use a tree not on my property for a swing for my kid, much less have the swing overhang a public walk.

rant over.

All that said, I still have no idea where I would want to live, instead.

Old Today, 07:45 AM

7,996 posts, read 11,738,037 times
Well just did #5. About to do #6. And #11 is a bit of constant problem.

Old Today, 04:57 PM

5,949 posts, read 4,943,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Curious as to whether these “regrets” resonate with the current retirees here. Any that speak to you in particular, or that you differ with?

http://https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/the-biggest-regrets-people-have-about-retirement.html/
Yawn. Same old, same old.
I love how they have the opposites, retiring too early, not retiring earlier, nice way to cover your bases and say nothing.

Old Today, 05:13 PM

1,682 posts, read 1,551,388 times
Agree with jghorton that the time to worry about most of the 13 "regrets" is before you retire. I did and it resulted in my delaying retirement for two years to make sure I was financially prepared.

So you could say that I may eventually regret working those extra years and not retiring earlier (#7) but I was concerned that another recession was approaching and wanted to pad my retirement income. And I plan to move to another part of the country in the next two years and am concerned that I might regret "Making a Rash Moving Decision" (#9). I'm also concerned that I may be drawing Social Security too late (the opposite of #6) as there is little benefit to my delaying but I want to be less "market dependent."

Old Today, 05:54 PM

21,592 posts, read 44,361,671 times
It's really nice at this age to have money for emergencies and any other thing that might come up. I've had a much easier time of it since I've been retired because I saved until it hurt (and it did) while I worked. If working longer provides a substantially higher SS benefit, I say go for it, especially if you have a spouse. The difference in mine between FRA and 70 is almost $800/mo. I was let go from my job at 67 so working longer wasn't an option. I took SS at FRA while still working and saved it all and a whole lot more until I was let go. Now, when the big stuff comes up, I can afford it. Given my situation at the time, I don't regret this, but gotta say the $800 higher benefit today makes me wish I had been a position to have the option of delaying the benefit. Just didn't have enough of a cash cushion to hold off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or