U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2019, 10:14 PM
 
64 posts, read 11,728 times
Reputation: 66

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
What's keeping you from getting a will? Price? Bad juju?
Not the price. Wouldn't want it if it was free.

The experience of being a Trustee for a Trust is the reason

One that was not complicated but still a royal pain in the butt

I believe a will in our circumstance, could only do harm and no good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2019, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Rust'n in Tustin
2,408 posts, read 2,499,105 times
Reputation: 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
Not the price. Wouldn't want it if it was free.

The experience of being a Trustee for a Trust is the reason

One that was not complicated but still a royal pain in the butt

I believe a will in our circumstance, could only do harm and no good.
I'm glad I'm not your heir

What about a medical directive or power of attorney? Bad idea too?

To the rest of you, have some regard for your heirs, make it easy on them. Get a will, medical directive, power of attorney,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast
1,184 posts, read 668,716 times
Reputation: 2322
We are debating this between us, trying to decide what to do. Not having the legal wisdom is hampering our making these decisions. I have asked some people that I know and nobody has a good lawyer to recommend; some haven't gotten around to this or some have used lawyers back where they used to live. We simply do not know where to start.


DH wants me just to download something and do it. No, I'm no legal wizard and though we think nothing will be complicated, I can't be the one doing this.


Have heard several financial gurus on TV and radio including Dave Ramsey (I know, let's not start that controversy) say if the estate is less than a million one does not need a trust.


We have 9 grandkids between us, 5 kids, 3 of those don't have much contract with us and we don't even have addresses for 2 of them... and a business and income there...


Would anyone be willing to chime in with what they paid for simple will with no trusts, just a small estate of a modest house, bank accounts, power of attorneys and living wills? I know each is different, I just have no idea what we are getting in to here. Somehow I have got to figure out a place to start..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 12:35 AM
 
64 posts, read 11,728 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm glad I'm not your heir

What about a medical directive or power of attorney? Bad idea too?

To the rest of you, have some regard for your heirs, make it easy on them. Get a will, medical directive, power of attorney,.
I think you are getting me mixed up somehow. We are putting him on the deed eventually, it doesn't get any easier than that in our circumstance. Due to Calif law, considering we had no will, not a whole lot would need to be done anyhow besides filing a affidavid after our death. The value of the new home is deliberately modest for this very reason. It will be completed soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Rust'n in Tustin
2,408 posts, read 2,499,105 times
Reputation: 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
I think you are getting me mixed up somehow. We are putting him on the deed eventually, it doesn't get any easier than that in our circumstance. Due to Calif law, considering we had no will, not a whole lot would need to be done anyhow besides filing a affidavid after our death. The value of the new home is deliberately modest for this very reason. It will be completed soon
But you have a medical directive and power of attorney, right? The reason I ask is, most people without a will also are without those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Rust'n in Tustin
2,408 posts, read 2,499,105 times
Reputation: 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Would anyone be willing to chime in with what they paid for simple will with no trusts, just a small estate of a modest house, bank accounts, power of attorneys and living wills? I know each is different, I just have no idea what we are getting in to here. Somehow I have got to figure out a place to start..
I used legalzoom.com for their bundle, before my estate got complicated. I think it was $149. It includes a will, medical directive, power of attorney...

Trust me, you need all of them. It's a step by step form.

If you need a good lawyer where you live, maybe ask in that city's forum on this website?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
8,227 posts, read 5,019,612 times
Reputation: 30082
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm glad I'm not your heir

What about a medical directive or power of attorney? Bad idea too?

To the rest of you, have some regard for your heirs, make it easy on them. Get a will, medical directive, power of attorney,.

Get off your hobbyhorse. Not everyone has heirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 08:54 AM
 
Location: SoCal
13,913 posts, read 6,651,228 times
Reputation: 10538
I can be somebody heir or hair for hire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Rust'n in Tustin
2,408 posts, read 2,499,105 times
Reputation: 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Get off your hobbyhorse. Not everyone has heirs.
True, but that doesn't mean they don't want to specify where they want their possessions to go, or what medical care they want at the end of their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 10:36 AM
 
7,611 posts, read 8,813,206 times
Reputation: 9837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post


Would anyone be willing to chime in with what they paid for simple will with no trusts, just a small estate of a modest house, bank accounts, power of attorneys and living wills? I know each is different, I just have no idea what we are getting in to here. Somehow I have got to figure out a place to start..
Through my job I had an optional benefit for legal coverage for $20/month. I opted in for 1 benefit year so I could take care of my simple estate planning. I met with a local law firm and got a Will, PoA, Living Will (aka Healthcare Directive), Healthcare PoA. I could have utilized other legal products but I didn't need anything else. Total Cost for the year: $240
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top