Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 02:25 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times

Advertisements

You call that good looking, haha.
You asked for it, you got it, Toyota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 02:49 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
If anybody with out an heir or beneficiary is interested in adopting, I "know" a good looking 61 year old Jewish guy, that likes hunting, fishing, long walks on the beach...

Just throwing it out there
LOL (you beat me to it except I'm female, not Jewish nor do I care for hunting for fishing - but, I like walks on the beach, in the rain and margaritas (can't remember the exact song lyrics)

Old 08-21-2019, 03:25 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
No margaritas, it’s the Pina Coladas song.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
We'll be writing soon. Didnt need on in Tx, but we do with our new state.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:34 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Not to be morbid, and God forbid anything happens to him first, then what?
Nah, not morbid, just life. But to answer your question, everything goes to me. I'd probably let his brother take what he wants, but otherwise, it's all mine. However, you also have to understand that I'm in charge of all that stuff (wills, insurnace, money, etc), so it's nothing new I'd have to deal with. Which is one less stressor considering I'll probably be in no mood to have to figure things out. Hence why I want to get hubby set up.

I'm glad I saw this thread; I need to get things going.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:38 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'd like to find a worthy person to leave my estate (such as it would be) to. A hardworking person who has had it rough, but is managing well enough, but could use a leg up to do better in life. I don't know anyone like that.

Oh! Me! Pick me, pick me!!!

I'm always struggling, yet always pulling through. Never truly getting too far ahead, before I'm pushed back again. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Story of my life. Sigh.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:58 PM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I need to find an executor and set up some type of trust. Otherwise my niece and nephew will just blow it all on cars, travel and luxuries.
Quote:
You say that like it's a bad thing? Let them spend it any way the want. You're not their parent.
Yes, I know. It shouldn't matter what happens to the money after I'm gone. It's none of my business what my niece and nephew do with the money. I won't be here to know about it. It's just that I have spent the last 25 years of my life managing my portfolio conservatively and letting it grow. It pains me to think of my niece and nephew just pissing it all away.

Their mother received $250,000 life insurance payout when my brother died. She's even worse than her kids, going through the money in less than three years, buying and then losing two houses along the way, and is now a renter and deeply in debt. She had to ask me for help to pay the deposit on the place she lives in now. She doesn't even have the money to replace a missing front tooth.

I don't want my niece and nephew to suffer the same fate as their mom, so I am hoping to set up a spendthrift trust that will keep the principal safe until they are both retirement age and need more income. Despite how I feel about their lifestyle they are my brother's kids, and I feel it is only right to make some provision for them in my will.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:06 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
If anybody with out an heir or beneficiary is interested in adopting, I "know" a good looking 61 year old Jewish guy, that likes hunting, fishing, long walks on the beach...
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Oh! Me! Pick me, pick me!!!
With all due respect to our most-deserving friends here on the Forum, one hopes - without untoward vanity - to aim a bit higher... perhaps get a building in campus named after me. Maybe endow a foundation. You know the repetitive litany on NPR... "This show is sponsored by the John D and Katherine T MacArthur Foundation, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the..." Why not the Ohio Peasant Foundation (OPF)?

Vanity - untoward or otherwise - is tickled by the concept of generations of OPF Scholars, endowed faculty, perhaps even the OPF Prize - as antithesis to the Templeton Prize. Why not?

Old 08-21-2019, 07:36 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Exactly. Though it may be shocking to some, not all of us have relatives. Some of us the final branch on the family tree. Our considerations for posthumous disposal of our estates, differ a bit, from those who worry about squabbles between kinsmen, or who intend to leave a legacy.
Yeah, not sure I’m the final branch on the family tree, but no kids, no spouse.

I don’t have a will or a trust. I have an 8 figure net worth and if I were to die today, my 2 sibs would split it. I think about wills and such, but to be honest, at this point in my life, my age and net worth are leverage tools. Sad to say, but I’ll have nieces , nephews and cousins tripping over themselves if I ever need assistance.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:46 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Yes, I know. It shouldn't matter what happens to the money after I'm gone. It's none of my business what my niece and nephew do with the money. I won't be here to know about it. It's just that I have spent the last 25 years of my life managing my portfolio conservatively and letting it grow. It pains me to think of my niece and nephew just pissing it all away.

Their mother received $250,000 life insurance payout when my brother died. She's even worse than her kids, going through the money in less than three years, buying and then losing two houses along the way, and is now a renter and deeply in debt. She had to ask me for help to pay the deposit on the place she lives in now. She doesn't even have the money to replace a missing front tooth.

I don't want my niece and nephew to suffer the same fate as their mom, so I am hoping to set up a spendthrift trust that will keep the principal safe until they are both retirement age and need more income. Despite how I feel about their lifestyle they are my brother's kids, and I feel it is only right to make some provision for them in my will.
I get it. None of my heirs will manage money responsibly.

Ive had a DAF for 20 years. All my heirs know the minute I move money there, they will never see it. I can almost guarantee that the DAF will be the biggest asset I have when I die, for those reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement