U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 06:46 AM

17 posts, read 6,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post

Big business' worships at the alter of the almighty dollar and this unbridled capitalism is slowly strangling the world.

Just my $0.02
Very true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 05:37 PM

1,110 posts, read 437,827 times
If anything, it’s crony capitalism aimed at payoffs and rewards to the enablers such as lawmakers and politicians.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:42 PM

13,003 posts, read 14,278,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I got my best job offer ever after I retired. It was a dream job but I had no interest....
What an irony.

The best job I ever had - the one where I performed excellently and loved it - was some volunteer work. And I did this right at the end of my working life. I never anticipated how suited I would prove to be and how much I would like it. But I was too old to consider attempting a radical professional career change. I suspect that because I wasn't paid that I took the job as a personal engagement/commitment, and I rarely thought about pleasing the organization I volunteered for.

I won't pretend to any humility about it, I was aces at the work. And the irony in my case was that there was no pay, in a sense it wasn't a job.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:20 PM

2,516 posts, read 3,724,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
One more reason older workers are "retired" (besides higher salaries and more time off) is health care. Older workers cost companies more in health care vs younger workers. This is another example of why we should not have to rely on employment for health care coverage.
Not necessarily.
I did not use a Sick Day in 2017 or 2018. Last week I used half a Sick Day to have some precancerous skin removed by a Dermatologist. I take no meds at age 63, and go to my Dr for my annual exam once every 5 years - whether I need it or not.

Old Today, 05:40 AM

6 posts, read 794 times
Yes, chances of getting a decent job are lower once you get older, so it is advisory to get a new job while you are young. You can go for part time jobs if you have backup financial plans.

Old Today, 08:49 AM

242 posts, read 75,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
If anything, it’s crony capitalism aimed at payoffs and rewards to the enablers such as lawmakers and politicians.

Really it's just CAPITALISM. If money rules everything and everyone worships wealth, what we have today is the inevitable end result.

To heck with compassion, empathy, respect, and all else if it does not result in more monetary capital gains.

Children in cages? Its ok if someone can make money off of it!

Overflowing prisons? Its ok if someone can make money off of it!

Helping the homeless? Caring for babies born by underage girls who had no access birth control? Taking care of the elderly? - To heck with them, there is no money to be made!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or