Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 09:18 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
Worried about becoming irrelevant or missing the meaning of work?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

As if waking up before the crack of dawn to crunch numbers in a cubicle and deal with irritating bosses and coworkers on a daily basis is something that I will miss at all. Yeah right!!!!!!!!
Further evidence that those who love retirement LOATHED their jobs; not everyone does, fortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 09:54 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
There's actually a 3rd category. Those who "retired early" from one profession and pivoted to a new profession or job.

Eg 1: a former sheriff who retired after 25 years in the force and then decided to pursue a different career. Didn't hate their work, but were ready to leave and do something else entirely.

Eg 2: Someone who made a lot of $$$ before age 45 and retired from that career and eventually went a different path, using their skills to do something else like start a new business, consult, etc
How is this retirement? All the person does is switch jobs. People quit their jobs all the time and move on to other jobs. Retirement to me at least means you stop working, not make a career change.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:12 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times
My husband truly enjoyed his job and loves being retired. Just celebrated first year!

Old 09-03-2019, 10:26 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
My last day at work, I walked out the door and never looked back. I do NOT identify as being a former federal employee.

No one cares....

Old 09-03-2019, 11:04 AM

18,044 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
How is this retirement? All the person does is switch jobs. People quit their jobs all the time and move on to other jobs. Retirement to me at least means you stop working, not make a career change.
You're right - the traditional definition of retirement has been that someone no longer works at all, ever again. Yet there are many people who say they're retired but work 1 day a week or some other part time arrangement.

The term 'retirement' can be a loaded one because for a lot of people it connotes someone no longer actively engaged in something productive. That's not true for a lot of folks, but that's the typical visual many have--someone sitting in their recliner watching TV or napping the day away.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:19 AM

For many, the definition of retirement is not HAVING to work if you don't want to because you now have a monthly check coming in. Of course, the same can be said of being on disability or even welfare, but at any rate.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:50 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's a technical retirement. They left a job and in many cases formally filed retirement papers to start drawing a pension and/or derive additional benefits granted upon retirement. In the case of many public workers, many can no longer can work in the field they retired from without working out of state or adversely affecting their retirement.

However, in many cases their technical retirement may adversely affect their ability to get a good-paying job because their experience doesn't transfer well outside their profession. This is the case with many teachers. After twenty plus years of teaching making a move to another professional position even with a masters degree is not an easy task and often results in low-paying jobs. In many cases they end up giving up despite wanting to work but not being interested in working for a fraction of what they previously made.

Many people who are retired work part-time. Some due to financial need and others for social and/or personal interest. I don't personally don't see retirement purely defined as being completely devoid of paid work. Many volunteer positions retirees involve themselves in are far more work than other people's jobs.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:51 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
You're right - the traditional definition of retirement has been that someone no longer works at all, ever again. Yet there are many people who say they're retired but work 1 day a week or some other part time arrangement.

The term 'retirement' can be a loaded one because for a lot of people it connotes someone no longer actively engaged in something productive. That's not true for a lot of folks, but that's the typical visual many have--someone sitting in their recliner watching TV or napping the day away.
A recipe proven to shorten most people's lives.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:12 PM

949 posts, read 571,918 times
My new job is horrible so I am putting off retirement by two additional years. I am leaving a position that has not been anything I expected. I am going to do some upgrades on my home, sell it and move in with my GF to make her and my life
easier. Do what makes you happy.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:36 PM

"My new job is horrible so I am putting off retirement by two additional years." Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement